Getting emails notifications

The right place to ask questions, make suggestions and complains about the forum !
fcc

How do I get email notification from the forum ?

Post by fcc »

I would like to get emails like we did on the yahoo group. This does not do it. I am unlikely to come and read posts.

Google groups may not be as problematic as yahoo.

I looked for a way to do a poll on the subject, but did not find it.
rvaessen

First post/Subscribing to the 'General Discussions' Forum for email updates

Post by rvaessen »

Hello World! It looks like I'm first to post!

First of all, I'd like to thank Lemke for moving us off of Yahoo Groups. As he has indicated/as has been discussed in the news/forums. Yahoo has had numerous problems with 'Security' and I'm tired of scrubbing my email for spam from yahoo accounts that have been compromised. Hopefully this PHPBB will server our needs.

One need that I've already seen satisfied is a way to 'Subscribe' to various 'Topics' by clicking on the checkmark at the bottom of the page. Once you're in the Forum discussion area, there's a checkmark at the bottom of the page. The checkmark makes it look like you're already 'Subscribed' to Updates, but you need to click on the checkmark in order to make it an 'X' - Then you're Subscribed to updates. Whenever a new Topic is posted or the Forum updated, you'll receive an email message. That way you don't have to go to the 'PHPBB' website just to read new postings.
Attachments
checkmark.png
checkmark.png (12.79 KiB) Viewed 9407 times
DrBen

Re: First post/Subscribing to the 'General Discussions' Forum for email updates

Post by DrBen »

rvaessen wrote:Hello World! It looks like I'm first to post!

[...]

One need that I've already seen satisfied is a way to 'Subscribe' to various 'Topics' by clicking on the checkmark at the bottom of the page. Once you're in the Forum discussion area, there's a checkmark at the bottom of the page. The checkmark makes it look like you're already 'Subscribed' to Updates, but you need to click on the checkmark in order to make it an 'X' - Then you're Subscribed to updates. Whenever a new Topic is posted or the Forum updated, you'll receive an email message. That way you don't have to go to the 'PHPBB' website just to read new postings.
(emphasis added)

This is very important. When you see a check mark next to "Subscribe to forum", you think you are subscribed. In fact you must click on Subscribe, the check mark changes to an X and the text become "Unsubscribe..." Unfortunately, this counter-intuitive method is not explained in the FAQ.
davidmorris

Re: emails

Post by davidmorris »

When you are looking at the list of topics in a group, at the bottom left is the phrase "subscribe forum". Click on this and any new messages or replies will be notified to you by e-mail. (Unfortunately, the graphics are confusing, with a tick in the box suggesting that youa are already subscribed. When you are subscribed, there will be an X in the box.)
markwmsn

Re: How do I get email notification from the forum ?

Post by markwmsn »

Thanks, but it is still just notification that new content exists. The new content itself is not mailed.

Also, I haven't figured out how to skip to the new content once I get to the forum. Does following the "view the newest post made since your last visit" really take you to the newest content rather than the oldest new content? That is, do I then have to back up to get other new content or start reading and go forward?
macvf

Post by macvf »

markwmsn wrote:Thanks, but it is still just notification that new content exists. The new content itself is not mailed.
Yes that's true, but I think this is more efficient as you get only e-mails on topics that you want to follow, and clicking the link on that e-mail will bring you right at the good point in the board, after that using the Quick links features you can browse what's new.

I know this changes a little from the Yahoo groups, but I am sure, as soon as you are used too that you will find yourself more confortable with that board. Something new is always destabilizing in the first minutes, but becomes better when using it.
Philippe

French GraphicConverter localizer since 1994
Mac V.F. manager
French GraphicConverter forum administrator
English GraphicConverter forum administrator
markwmsn

Post by markwmsn »

macvf wrote:
markwmsn wrote:Thanks, but it is still just notification that new content exists. The new content itself is not mailed.
Yes that's true, but I think this is more efficient as you get only e-mails on topics that you want to follow, and clicking the link on that e-mail will bring you right at the good point in the board, after that using the Quick links features you can browse what's new.

I know this changes a little from the Yahoo groups, but I am sure, as soon as you are used too that you will find yourself more confortable with that board. Something new is always destabilizing in the first minutes, but becomes better when using it.
Sorry, I don't find having to leave my email client to read the actual content in a browser to be more efficient, particularly on a mobile device. Suffice it to say that I would activate an option to receive the actual content, should such an option exist.

Note that I wasn't arguing about the selectivity of following threads I want to follow. I haven't made up my mind whether that is an advantage of this forum over the gcmac Yahoo forum or not. I did tend to read all of those posts, but maybe I shouldn't.
avjudge

Post by avjudge »

macvf wrote:... clicking the link on that e-mail will bring you right at the good point in the board, after that using the Quick links features you can browse what's new. I know this changes a little from the Yahoo groups, but I am sure, as soon as you are used too that you will find yourself more confortable with that board. Something new is always destabilizing in the first minutes, but becomes better when using it.
But some of us are familiar with the forum interfaces, and *still* prefer to read selected threads via email.

I am on several forums and when an active thread interests me, I will subscribe -- and in each of those (obviously based on different software) I am able to subscribe to a thread in the same manner as here - a message after the first followup message, then nothing until I visit the forum again - OR as a daily email digest of posts to the thread:

I invariably choose the latter. I much prefer it. I can quickly skim the day's posts, and then visit the forum only if I wish to contribute or someone has posted a picture I'd like to see. But it's not an option here.

Anne
davidmorris

Post by davidmorris »

That's fine, if you know you want to follow the thread. But having to go to the forum to have a quick look is more work than clicking on a mail message to read it. Especially on a mobile device.

Now, if you want to get notified of new threads in a forum, you don't even get to know the name of the new topic. This is what I got:
Subject: New topic notification - "Technical Support"

So if you subscribe to the forum itself, and the forum is active, you get a series of these identical messages. Every day! And you have no idea what any of them are about. Something like Anne suggested as one daily e-mail would make this more tolerable.

You could have retained the e-mail format by using your own mailing list handler instead. I have found Dadamail very good and quite flexible.
I have found that when a mailing list changes to a forum, I rarely go to the forum, whereas I would at least skim the mail messages. This is my experience - other people may have other experiences.
fcc

Re: Getting emails notifications

Post by fcc »

Hooray- we can now get digests.
Go to user control panel, Then digests. In basic set that up like you want it. After you have submitted that you can go to Forum selection on the left and choose which groups you want to get digests from.

Thank you very much Thorsten