Suggestions

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
Philippe Bonnaure

Suggestions

Post by Philippe Bonnaure »

Hallo Thorsten, Some suggestions. 1/ In the Save dialog, when selecting the JPEG format it would be nice to display the current selected quality, this would avoid opening the Jpeg option every time in order to be sure that the quality is set to 100% for example. (This could be also done on other format that destroy picture quality. 2/ When doing a batch conversion it may happen that tou get an error message saying, for example, that the transparency can not be applied on this kind of picture. When you get this message you have only 2 options, cancel the batch or ignore the error, if this error happens on the next picture you have to clic again and so on, on all the batch. I know you can place all errors in an error file, but if this prefs is not set or if you don't want to generate such a file, it would be helpfull to have a check box (or button) to ignore ALL such kind of error in the current batch. Philippe
Gnarlodious

Re: Suggestions

Post by Gnarlodious »

On 1/15/07, Philippe Bonnaure wrote: > 1/ In the Save dialog, when selecting the JPEG format it would be nice > to display the current selected quality, this would avoid opening the > Jpeg option every time in order to be sure that the quality is set to > 100% for example. I agree on that. The mandatory recompressing is a major hassle, especially when doing multi-megabyte images it takes so long to estimate the new image size. New users seem to trip up on the JPG recompression too. -- Gnarlie
Chuck Boody

Suggestions

Post by Chuck Boody »

Hello Thorsten, This is a greeting from the past! I negotiated a license from you for the Hopkins School District for version 1 a long time ago! Recently I’ve had a large file of pictures from several folks that needed editing. I’ve been using browse mode, bring up the photo, edit it, save and next. Here are some thoughts about doing that that you might want to consider. 1) When you push the adjust button the adjust part of the window along with the various command buttons (reset, last value, etc) appear at the right edge of the picture. On a large screen there is lots of mousing to get from the “Adjust” to the “Last values” button (for example). If the adjustment portion of the window and the reset and other buttons came up on the left side of the screen, just below the “adjust” button. I looked around and didn’t see an option to set things that way. It would make a huge difference for me in terms of efficiency. I suppose it could be an option. 2) When you do “Save and Next” the display in the main browser window does not go to the new picture. It is not a big deal, but it probably should, since reference to the histogram can be useful. 3) I find I can edit most pictures using the options that come up when I click the adjust button. Most commonly the only other thing I need Is “highlights and shadows.” If that were added to the options in the adjust window it would be useful. Perhaps there is a programming reason not to do so, though I can’t think of one. 4) There is space for a histogram in the adjust window. If that could be added and changed with adjustment it would be quite useful to avoid accidentally overdoing various adjustments. 5) I noticed that apparently I could go from adjusting to “save and next” without doing an “apply.” However I also noticed some instances under those circumstances where the photo seemed to get readjusted in unintended ways before the save . Probably the image should stay the same or the save should not be permitted before applying. This seemed intermittent. 6) I think there was some inconsistent behavior when I either clicked “save” (not “save and next”) or used the arrows to move to the next picture and then decided to save the changes. I have things set to leave the original in the original file and save the changed file into the “modified” file. Using saves as described here I don’t think the modified file was saved to the “modified” file, rather it replaced the original. I have not tested this carefully, but wanted you to know of it. 7) Once or twice I edited a picture twice. The second edit seems to have been saved over the first edit without warning. Perhaps the program should check for a previous file of that name and give options to ignore, replace, or save a second copy. Soon I’ll be looking into creating slide shows, and doubtless will have some thoughts about that too. Years of testing and beta testing software make it almost impossible for me to work with anything without having thoughst! I hope these comments are useful to you. Your program has grown, changed, and become an amazing tool. I appreciate the hard work of you and your team. Chuck Boody
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Dear Chuck, many thanks for your detailed report. The controls appear at the right due the implementation. Appearance at the left would require some internal changes. So maybe the better solution: I assign shortcuts to adjust, save and next… Lights and shadwos optimization would not be possible in the fast mode. But I can it to the normal mode. You can adjust the save location of the modified file with a click onto options. Did you check that? Regarding 7: Did you open the file again? So, you can add it a second time. Best wishes Thorsten > >
Chuck Boody

Post by Chuck Boody »

Hi Thorsten,Thanks for your response!  To keep references clear I’ve put my original points at the bottom of this email.  See comments below. On Sep 12, 2015, at 7:55 AM, Thorsten Lemke lemke@lemkesoft.de [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Dear Chuck,many thanks for your detailed report.The controls appear at the right due the implementation. Appearance at the left would require some internal changes.So maybe the better solution:I assign shortcuts to adjust, save and next… That would solve number 1 for me nicely.Lights and shadwos optimization would not be possible in the fast mode. But I can it to the normal mode.That should take care of number 3You can adjust the save location of the modified file with a click onto options. Did you check that?I think you misunderstand me in number 6.  I have used the options setting to have modified photos saved to the modified folder.  If I use “save and next” that is what happens. However, if I use “save” or just click on the right arrow and it asks if I want to save, then it appears that the program saves the modified picture over the original rather than in the modified folder.  I will double check this again and get back to you.Regarding 7:Did you open the file again? So, you can add it a second time.I”ll check this on number 7.  I believe that is the way I did things but will get back to you.> I’d like to urge you to do number 4, and if the histogram could change with adjustments it would be wonderful.2 and 5 are little things.  2 is just a matter of my preference I would like it, but I don’t think it needs to be done.  5, if my report is accurate probably should be looked into.Thanks for the coming changes, I’ll look forward to them.  You and your team are amazing in your support of the program!Chuck Boody==================================1) When you push the adjust button the adjust part of the window along with the various command buttons (reset, last value, etc) appear at the right edge of the picture. On a large screen there is lots of mousing to get from the “Adjust” to the “Last values” button (for example). If the adjustment portion of the window and the reset and other buttons came up on the left side of the screen, just below the “adjust” button. I looked around and didn’t see an option to set things that way. It would make a huge difference for me in terms of efficiency. I suppose it could be an option.2) When you do “Save and Next” the display in the main browser window does not go to the new picture. It is not a big deal, but it probably should, since reference to the histogram can be useful.3) I find I can edit most pictures using the options that come up when I click the adjust button. Most commonly the only other thing I need Is “highlights and shadows.” If that were added to the options in the adjust window it would be useful. Perhaps there is a programming reason not to do so, though I can’t think of one.4) There is space for a histogram in the adjust window. If that could be added and changed with adjustment it would be quite useful to avoid accidentally overdoing various adjustments.5) I noticed that apparently I could go from adjusting to “save and next” without doing an “apply.” However I also noticed some instances under those circumstances where the photo seemed to get readjusted in unintended ways before the save . Probably the image should stay the same or the save should not be permitted before applying. This seemed intermittent.6) I think there was some inconsistent behavior when I either clicked “save” (not “save and next”) or used the arrows to move to the next picture and then decided to save the changes. I have things set to leave the original in the original file and save the changed file into the “modified” file. Using saves as described here I don’t think the modified file was saved to the “modified” file, rather it replaced the original. I have not tested this carefully, but wanted you to know of it.7) Once or twice I edited a picture twice. The second edit seems to have been saved over the first edit without warning. Perhaps the program should check for a previous file of that name and give options to ignore, replace, or save a second copy.. 
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Dear Chuck,I added that now: Lights and shadwos optimization would not be possible in the fast mode. But I can it to the normal mode.Please check:http://www.lemkesoft.org/beta.htmlAlso, I added a menu command. So, you can assign a shortcut with the system settings.Thorsten
Hagen Henke

Post by Hagen Henke »

Hallo Thorsten,hier mein neuer Text, der gleich den a�bersetzungsvorschlag entha�lt.Hier fehlt noch die a�bersetzungn in den Buttons:Grua�e von Hagen ---Hagen HenkeDresdner Str. 2601662 Meia�enTel: 03521 / 71 77 494Mobil: 0151 / 524 789 21www.fotoservice-henke.de Am 17.09.2015 um 08:23 schrieb Thorsten Lemke lemke@lemkesoft.de [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com>:Dear Chuck,I added that now:Lights and shadwos optimization would not be possible in the fast mode. But I can it to the normal mode.Please check:http://www.lemkesoft.org/beta.htmlAlso, I added a menu command. So, you can assign a shortcut with the system settings.Thorsten
Chuck Boody

Post by Chuck Boody »

Thanks Thorsten,I can see and use the shadows and highlights, but I can not find the menu command.  Can you direct me??Thanks,Chuck Boody On Sep 17, 2015, at 1:23 AM, Thorsten Lemke lemke@lemkesoft.de [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Dear Chuck,I added that now:Lights and shadwos optimization would not be possible in the fast mode. But I can it to the normal mode.Please check:http://www.lemkesoft.org/beta.htmlAlso, I added a menu command. So, you can assign a shortcut with the system settings.Thorsten
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Attachments :Dear Chuck,screenshot is attached:Thorsten Thanks Thorsten,I can see and use the shadows and highlights, but I can not find the menu command.  Can you direct me??Thanks,Chuck Boody
Charles Stroh

Post by Charles Stroh »

Thanks Thorsten, but you responded to the wrong Chuck woith this message. Chuck BOODY asked you about shadows and highlights. Chuck STROH (me) had asked about GIF animations, but Deb has answered me with the video you had recommended to her. Chuck Stroh -------------------------------------------- On Thu, 9/17/15, Thorsten Lemke lemke@lemkesoft.de [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: Subject: Re: [gcmac] Suggestions To: gcmac@yahoogroups.com Date: Thursday, September 17, 2015, 10:09 PM Dear Chuck, screenshot is attached: Thorsten Thanks Thorsten, I can see and use the shadows and highlights, but I can not find the menu command.  Can you direct me?? Thanks, Chuck Boody