Oh, RATS!!! Yos 4 upsets TWAIN again

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
watcombeman

Re: Oh, RATS!!! Yos 4 upsets TWAIN again

Post by watcombeman »

Fair enough. I searched the web and fond that I could download and run ExactScan on a trial basis.It failed to drive my scanner direct, but when I selected the Use Native Drivers option it opened ScanGear at once and I was able to Preview.So it is possible for a third-party application to call the Canon drivers with no delay and with Image Capture Extension active.True, I was unable to Scan. The process started but hung up straight away; when I cancelled it, the scanner returned to the rest position (judging by the sounds). Maybe ScanGear was unable to negotiate the destination file with ExactScan - GraphicConverter has no problem with that, as I can see the scan progressing in the GC window.Not that I would want to use ExactScan - overkill for me and I'm perfectly happy with what GraphicConverter.John.
Petur Rasmussen

Post by Petur Rasmussen »

I still don’t think that you have the newest update of ScanGear. I get it up when I call for TWAIN. However you have to select Canon xxx Network in Select Scanner.RegardsPetur --------------------------------------------------------Petur Rasmussen            e-mail: prasm@internet.isSa�lheimum 23, 7A                     Tlf.: +354-553 2858IS-104  Reykjava�k                      Mobil: +354-822 0645  On 20. a�ga�. 2015, at 09:40, John Hill john@yclept.wanadoo.co.uk [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:   For what it’s worth, I have now found out that if I run ExactScan (downloaded on a trial basis) and use it to scan “using the native scanner”, ScanGear opens instantly and will let me Preview. True, it will not let me Scan - the scanner murmurs and then locks. I suspect that ExactScan does not pass the parameters of a destination file back through the TWAIN interface. Perhaps Thorsten can confirm whether it is the job of the calling application to create the destination file (permanent or temporary), or if the scanner driver creates it and passes it to the calling application?However, that is another problem, which I do not propose to solve as I neither need nor can afford ExactScan.But it does show that a third party application can call ScanGear via TWAIN on my iMac without the Image Capture Extension delay. MP Navigator Ex *might* have got away with it because it is Canon software calling Canon software.John.On 16 Aug 2015, at 10:12, Petur Rasmussen prasm@internet.is [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:I am perfectly able to use twain with the Canon driver. Maybe it uses the special Canon environment set up by Canon on installing the driver.Give it another try.RegardsPetur--------------------------------------------------------Petur Rasmussen            e-mail: prasm@internet.isSa�lheimum 23, 7A                     Tlf.: +354-553 2858IS-104  Reykjava�k                      Mobil: +354-822 0645 On 16. a�ga�. 2015, at 08:31, John Hill john@yclept.wanadoo.co.uk [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: I consulted Canon during the Yos 2 research into the problem, and they state categorically that they use TWAIN and nothing else to interface their MP Navigator EX software with my printer.Providing I leave Image Capture Extension running, I can use Image Capture with the scanner, but the images are of poorer quality (at least for my purposes) than those obtained with the Canon drivers.It remains to be seen what happens when El Capitan is released, but I imagine they will update the MD5150 drivers. I don’t think it is in their current catalogue, but it is too recent to become obsolescent yet.John.On 15 Aug 2015, at 19:01, Thorsten Lemke lemke@lemkesoft.de [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Hello,maybe they use now image capture? Did you try?ThorstenCanon has issued new drivers compatible with Yosemite.
John Hill

Post by John Hill »

I wish!I went back to the Canon website, downloaded the drivers (printer, scanner, TWAIN) for the MG5150/Yosemite, and re-installed them.All is exactly as before, with the two minute wait.When I choose Select TWAIN Scanner (Data Source) I am only offered Canon MG5100 Series - no other printer is currently connected. This is as it always has been. Since you see Canon XXX Network, it may be that you have a wireless printer - in which case the drivers will be different.As it stands, then, the situation is that:1. If I try to scan with TWAIN from Graphic Converter I get a two-minute delay both with my Canon all-in-one and, when I connect it, my wife’s Brother all-in-one. This would seem to eliminate the scanner drivers as the source of my problem.2.If I try to scan with TWAIN using the Canon with either Canon’s MP Navigator EX or ExactScan, ScanGear opens instantly. That would seem to eliminate the TWAIN interface.I leave you to draw the conclusion…Obviously MP Navigator EX only knows about Canon scanners, and I have not tried the Brother with ExactScan (it involves moving the printer from room to room), but I doubt I would learn anything new :-(I guess I’ll just have to put up with it. Unless you have anything else to suggest? So far I haven’t found any application other than those above that would use TWAIN to drive my scanner - suggestions welcome (it would need to be free to try).BTW, Image Capture does work, both in itself and when called from GC, as long as Image Capture Extension is active. But that is not the point.Thanks for your interest,John. On 21 Aug 2015, at 17:51, Petur Rasmussen prasm@internet.is [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:I still don’t think that you have the newest update of ScanGear. I get it up when I call for TWAIN. However you have to select Canon xxx Network in Select Scanner.RegardsPetur--------------------------------------------------------Petur Rasmussen            e-mail: prasm@internet.isSa�lheimum 23, 7A                     Tlf.: +354-553 2858IS-104  Reykjava�k                      Mobil: +354-822 0645 On 20. a�ga�. 2015, at 09:40, John Hill john@yclept.wanadoo.co.uk [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: For what it’s worth, I have now found out that if I run ExactScan (downloaded on a trial basis) and use it to scan “using the native scanner”, ScanGear opens instantly and will let me Preview. True, it will not let me Scan - the scanner murmurs and then locks. I suspect that ExactScan does not pass the parameters of a destination file back through the TWAIN interface. Perhaps Thorsten can confirm whether it is the job of the calling application to create the destination file (permanent or temporary), or if the scanner driver creates it and passes it to the calling application?However, that is another problem, which I do not propose to solve as I neither need nor can afford ExactScan.But it does show that a third party application can call ScanGear via TWAIN on my iMac without the Image Capture Extension delay. MP Navigator Ex *might* have got away with it because it is Canon software calling Canon software.John.On 16 Aug 2015, at 10:12, Petur Rasmussen prasm@internet.is [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:I am perfectly able to use twain with the Canon driver. Maybe it uses the special Canon environment set up by Canon on installing the driver.Give it another try.RegardsPetur--------------------------------------------------------Petur Rasmussen            e-mail: prasm@internet.isSa�lheimum 23, 7A                     Tlf.: +354-553 2858IS-104  Reykjava�k                      Mobil: +354-822 0645 On 16. a�ga�. 2015, at 08:31, John Hill john@yclept.wanadoo.co.uk [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: I consulted Canon during the Yos 2 research into the problem, and they state categorically that they use TWAIN and nothing else to interface their MP Navigator EX software with my printer.Providing I leave Image Capture Extension running, I can use Image Capture with the scanner, but the images are of poorer quality (at least for my purposes) than those obtained with the Canon drivers.It remains to be seen what happens when El Capitan is released, but I imagine they will update the MD5150 drivers. I don’t think it is in their current catalogue, but it is too recent to become obsolescent yet.John.On 15 Aug 2015, at 19:01, Thorsten Lemke lemke@lemkesoft.de [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Hello,maybe they use now image capture? Did you try?ThorstenCanon has issued new drivers compatible with Yosemite.
Petur Rasmussen

Post by Petur Rasmussen »

You migth be right. I have opened for wireless printing from my iPad. It is possible that the Scanner uses the wireless connection to TWAIN. Actually I don’t care. The thing works and you could do the same.Best regardsPetur --------------------------------------------------------Petur Rasmussen            e-mail: prasm@internet.isSa�lheimum 23, 7A                     Tlf.: +354-553 2858IS-104  Reykjava�k                      Mobil: +354-822 0645  On 22. a�ga�. 2015, at 11:09, John Hill john@yclept.wanadoo.co.uk [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:   I wish!I went back to the Canon website, downloaded the drivers (printer, scanner, TWAIN) for the MG5150/Yosemite, and re-installed them.All is exactly as before, with the two minute wait.When I choose Select TWAIN Scanner (Data Source) I am only offered Canon MG5100 Series - no other printer is currently connected. This is as it always has been. Since you see Canon XXX Network, it may be that you have a wireless printer - in which case the drivers will be different.As it stands, then, the situation is that:1. If I try to scan with TWAIN from Graphic Converter I get a two-minute delay both with my Canon all-in-one and, when I connect it, my wife’s Brother all-in-one. This would seem to eliminate the scanner drivers as the source of my problem.2.If I try to scan with TWAIN using the Canon with either Canon’s MP Navigator EX or ExactScan, ScanGear opens instantly. That would seem to eliminate the TWAIN interface.I leave you to draw the conclusion…Obviously MP Navigator EX only knows about Canon scanners, and I have not tried the Brother with ExactScan (it involves moving the printer from room to room), but I doubt I would learn anything new :-(I guess I’ll just have to put up with it. Unless you have anything else to suggest? So far I haven’t found any application other than those above that would use TWAIN to drive my scanner - suggestions welcome (it would need to be free to try).BTW, Image Capture does work, both in itself and when called from GC, as long as Image Capture Extension is active. But that is not the point.Thanks for your interest,John.On 21 Aug 2015, at 17:51, Petur Rasmussen prasm@internet.is [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:I still don’t think that you have the newest update of ScanGear. I get it up when I call for TWAIN. However you have to select Canon xxx Network in Select Scanner.RegardsPetur--------------------------------------------------------Petur Rasmussen            e-mail: prasm@internet.isSa�lheimum 23, 7A                     Tlf.: +354-553 2858IS-104  Reykjava�k                      Mobil: +354-822 0645 On 20. a�ga�. 2015, at 09:40, John Hill john@yclept.wanadoo.co.uk [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: For what it’s worth, I have now found out that if I run ExactScan (downloaded on a trial basis) and use it to scan “using the native scanner”, ScanGear opens instantly and will let me Preview. True, it will not let me Scan - the scanner murmurs and then locks. I suspect that ExactScan does not pass the parameters of a destination file back through the TWAIN interface. Perhaps Thorsten can confirm whether it is the job of the calling application to create the destination file (permanent or temporary), or if the scanner driver creates it and passes it to the calling application?However, that is another problem, which I do not propose to solve as I neither need nor can afford ExactScan.But it does show that a third party application can call ScanGear via TWAIN on my iMac without the Image Capture Extension delay. MP Navigator Ex *might* have got away with it because it is Canon software calling Canon software.John.On 16 Aug 2015, at 10:12, Petur Rasmussen prasm@internet.is [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:I am perfectly able to use twain with the Canon driver. Maybe it uses the special Canon environment set up by Canon on installing the driver.Give it another try.RegardsPetur--------------------------------------------------------Petur Rasmussen            e-mail: prasm@internet.isSa�lheimum 23, 7A                     Tlf.: +354-553 2858IS-104  Reykjava�k                      Mobil: +354-822 0645 On 16. a�ga�. 2015, at 08:31, John Hill john@yclept.wanadoo.co.uk [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: I consulted Canon during the Yos 2 research into the problem, and they state categorically that they use TWAIN and nothing else to interface their MP Navigator EX software with my printer.Providing I leave Image Capture Extension running, I can use Image Capture with the scanner, but the images are of poorer quality (at least for my purposes) than those obtained with the Canon drivers.It remains to be seen what happens when El Capitan is released, but I imagine they will update the MD5150 drivers. I don’t think it is in their current catalogue, but it is too recent to become obsolescent yet.John.On 15 Aug 2015, at 19:01, Thorsten Lemke lemke@lemkesoft.de [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Hello,maybe they use now image capture? Did you try?ThorstenCanon has issued new drivers compatible with Yosemite.
watcombeman

Post by watcombeman »

Alas, no. Neither my printer nor Anne's has wireless capability. John.
Greg Charbonneau

Post by Greg Charbonneau »

I’ve been reading the odd post in this thread for a while and have not seen mentioned (or am sure if it’ll help what you are attempting to do) Vuescan …I have been using Vuescan from Hamrick for years now with my Nikon Coolscan since there have not been new drivers in ages. Vuescan is compatible with a big list of Canon scanners: http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/canon.htmlGregOn Aug 22, 2015, at 7:38 AM, john@yclept.wanadoo.co.uk [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: Alas, no. Neither my printer nor Anne's has wireless capability. John.
John Hill

Post by John Hill »

I have used VueScan in the past, but do not really have a need for it as Image Capture can drive my scanner. So it’s not on my iMac at the moment. And you only get upgrades for one year for your $40, after that you pay again :-(It’s not that I can’t scan at all (which is often the case with older scanners and all-in-ones); my gripe is that I can't use TWAIN to drive the MG 5150’s  native scanner software.FTBT, I’ll either kill Image Capture Extension or use Image Capture.Maybe El Capitan will either sort of fix TWAIN again, as did Yosemite 3, or wreck it totally. We shall see. I don’t see a Yos 5 coming out, somehow.John. On 22 Aug 2015, at 23:03, Greg Charbonneau gzc@zephir.com [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:I’ve been reading the odd post in this thread for a while and have not seen mentioned (or am sure if it’ll help what you are attempting to do) Vuescan …I have been using Vuescan from Hamrick for years now with my Nikon Coolscan since there have not been new drivers in ages. Vuescan is compatible with a big list of Canon scanners: http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/canon.htmlGregOn Aug 22, 2015, at 7:38 AM, john@yclept.wanadoo.co.uk [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Alas, no. Neither my printer nor Anne's has wireless capability.John.