Resource forks and type & creator info

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
havema1

Resource forks and type & creator info

Post by havema1 »

Hello,I prefer not to have resource forks in the photos.As an old habit I also attach type and creator info to the photos (JPEG and 8BIM for example).Some GC 9.7.1 operations seem to needlessly touch this info:Action > Metadata > Rotate depending on EXIF adds a resource fork. The JPEG rotation seems to be lossless, right?? Luckily Action > Misc > Remove Resource Fork removes it WITHOUT touching the modified date.Pasting GPS resets type and creator info.So: is it necessary to add a resource fork and reset the type and creator?thanks,- Matti
thorstenlemke

Re: Resource forks and type & creator info

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello Matti,rotate upon exif do not add a resource fork by default. Only if the adding of a custom icon is enabled in the prefs part save.Thorsten Hello,I prefer not to have resource forks in the photos.As an old habit I also attach type and creator info to the photos (JPEG and 8BIM for example).Some GC 9.7.1 operations seem to needlessly touch this info:Action > Metadata > Rotate depending on EXIF adds a resource fork. The JPEG rotation seems to be lossless, right?? Luckily Action > Misc > Remove Resource Fork removes it WITHOUT touching the modified date.Pasting GPS resets type and creator info.So: is it necessary to add a resource fork and reset the type and creator?thanks,- Matti
havema1

Post by havema1 »

Hello,I did have Save > Resource Fork > Add when saving OFF. To make sure I tried to set it ON and back OFF but noticed I had to do that a few times before it seemed to stuck in the prefs. But nevertheless, a resource fork was added even then.So maybe my finely tuned prefs file is corrupted? ;-:p.s. regarding type and creator info: maybe it is not important in OS X anymore? :-:- Matti
havema1

Post by havema1 »

Hi,I did have Prefs > Save > Resource Fork > Add when saving OFF.To make sure, I tried to set it ON/OFF and I noticed I had to do that a few times before it stuck if that prefs pane was opened again. But nevertheless the resource for is added even if that pref is OFF.So maybe my prefs does not really display the correct setting?p.s. regarding type and creator info: I guess that doesn't really matter in OS X anymore?- Matti---In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, <lemke@...> wrote :Hello Matti,rotate upon exif do not add a resource fork by default. Only if the adding of a custom icon is enabled in the prefs part save.Thorsten Hello,I prefer not to have resource forks in the photos.As an old habit I also attach type and creator info to the photos (JPEG and 8BIM for example).Some GC 9.7.1 operations seem to needlessly touch this info:Action > Metadata > Rotate depending on EXIF adds a resource fork. The JPEG rotation seems to be lossless, right?? Luckily Action > Misc > Remove Resource Fork removes it WITHOUT touching the modified date.Pasting GPS resets type and creator info.So: is it necessary to add a resource fork and reset the type and creator?thanks,- Matti
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Attachments :Hi Matt,normally the prefs are stored directly.Yes, type and creator are now normally useless. The system searches first for the extension and UTI.Thorsten I did have Prefs > Save > Resource Fork > Add when saving OFF.To make sure, I tried to set it ON/OFF and I noticed I had to do that a few times before it stuck if that prefs pane was opened again. But nevertheless the resource for is added even if that pref is OFF.So maybe my prefs does not really display the correct setting?p.s. regarding type and creator info: I guess that doesn't really matter in OS X anymore?