Colour Problem

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
harry152566

Colour Problem

Post by harry152566 »

I make a new image (true colour 32 bit) and fill it with a colour (say #108888).The eyedropper also says it is #108888 and I go on to save the image.I re-open the image and use the eyedropper to read the colour and it now says #157675.What is going on?OS X 10.10.5GC 9.7.4 (2083).Harry.
David L. Wasley

Re: Colour Problem

Post by David L. Wasley »

In what format did you save it?  .jpg? .tif?  .png? …?      David On Jan 23, 2016, at 4:47 PM, g6auc@g6auc.me.uk [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:   I make a new image (true colour 32 bit) and fill it with a colour (say #108888).The eyedropper also says it is #108888 and I go on to save the image.I re-open the image and use the eyedropper to read the colour and it now says #157675.What is going on?OS X 10.10.5GC 9.7.4 (2083).Harry.
harry152566

Post by harry152566 »

Saved as PNG (RGB no alpha).Harry.
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello,did you maybe check the checkbox “Merge color profile” in the save as dialog? Please UNCHECK.Thorsten I make a new image (true colour 32 bit) and fill it with a colour (say #108888).The eyedropper also says it is #108888 and I go on to save the image.I re-open the image and use the eyedropper to read the colour and it now says #157675.What is going on?
harry152566

Post by harry152566 »

I did not check it, but on repeating the test, I found it was checked in the save dialog.Unchecking it solves the issue, but I still find the behaviour surprising.I had looked in the Save preferences and had not found anything that appeared to be relevant.Harry.
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Dear Harry,that option if OFF by default.That is a special feature for very special purposes.It does merge the current color profile (often sRGB) into the pixels. So, they get modified.Thorsten I did not check it, but on repeating the test, I found it was checked in the save dialog.Unchecking it solves the issue, but I still find the behaviour surprising.I had looked in the Save preferences and had not found anything that appeared to be relevant.Harry.
David L. Wasley

Image printing software

Post by David L. Wasley »

I am looking for software to render images as accurately as possible on a decent printer. A printer like the Epson Stylus Photo series is capable of making a decent print but not with the buit-in rendering engine. I had been using an old version of Photoshop only for that purpose but it’s rather expensive to upgrade to a version that will work under the current Mac OS/X. I use GC but don’t see a way to use GC for this purpose. I am looking for rendering engine software that supports ICC profiles for various photo print papers as well as for mid-level printers and can drive the printer directly. I looked at PrinTao8, for example, but it only drives professional, large format printers. What software do you serious photographers use or recommend for printing? Thanks, David Wasley Oakland, CA, US
Bill Bedford

Re: Image printing software

Post by Bill Bedford »

On Mon, 25 Jan 2016 11:53:18 -0800, 'David L. Wasley' dlwasley@earthlink.net [gcmac] wrote: > I am looking for software to render images as accurately as possible > on a decent printer. A printer like the Epson Stylus Photo series is > capable of making a decent print but not with the buit-in rendering > engine. I had been using an old version of Photoshop only for that > purpose but it’s rather expensive to upgrade to a version that will > work under the current Mac OS/X. I use GC but don’t see a way to use > GC for this purpose. > > I am looking for rendering engine software that supports ICC profiles > for various photo print papers as well as for mid-level printers and > can drive the printer directly. > > I looked at PrinTao8, for example, but it only drives professional, > large format printers. > > What software do you serious photographers use or recommend for printing? Gutenprint? <http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net> -- Bill Bedford "Man is an animal suspended in webs of significance he himself has spun" -- Clifford Geertz
Zalman Lazkowicz

Re: Image printing software

Post by Zalman Lazkowicz »

I use Canon wide format A3 printer, ix6800. I print posters using GC. I sell them on Etsy. Recently a Preview was added, which helps a lot. Overall I’m very happy. In US this printer probably has another name.It uses three colors and two blacks. On 25 Jan 2016, at 9:53 PM, 'David L. Wasley' dlwasley@earthlink.net [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:I am looking for software to render images as accurately as possible on a decent printer. A printer like the Epson Stylus Photo series is capable of making a decent print but not with the buit-in rendering engine. I had been using an old version of Photoshop only for that purpose but it’s rather expensive to upgrade to a version that will work under the current Mac OS/X. I use GC but don’t see a way to use GC for this purpose.I am looking for rendering engine software that supports ICC profiles for various photo print papers as well as for mid-level printers and can drive the printer directly.I looked at PrinTao8, for example, but it only drives professional, large format printers.What software do you serious photographers use or recommend for printing?  Thanks,David WasleyOakland, CA, US