backup when saving (corrupted images)

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
csterndk0862

backup when saving (corrupted images)

Post by csterndk0862 »

Hi,A couple of times I have experienced images being corrupted after I exit GC9. This seems to be related to fiddling with EXIF data or rotations (but I am not sure)Anyway, I have most of the times had a backup elsewhere.My question is: How do I enable auto backup when changing and saving an image? I think I have seen that in GC but now I cannot find it in the prefs. (it is probably right under my nose ...)ThanksClaus
thorstenlemke

Re: backup when saving (corrupted images)

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hi Claus,how can I reproduce this?Is there any error message in the console?Thorsten A couple of times I have experienced images being corrupted after I exit GC9. This seems to be related to fiddling with EXIF data or rotations (but I am not sure)
csterndk0862

Post by csterndk0862 »

I don't see any errors and I don't have a specific pattern. I think perhaps I have been copying some EXIF info from one image to another, but I am not 100% sure. I will keep an eye on it, and report back if I find the smoking gun.
csterndk0862

Post by csterndk0862 »

Oh, btw - how do I enable auto-backup?
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hi,that should be normally done automatically by the MacOS.Thorsten Oh, btw - how do I enable auto-backup?
csterndk0862

Post by csterndk0862 »

Hmm. In my setup of GC when I do something to an image (like rotating it) and save it it is just replaced with the edited version. I think I can remember that on my old computer there was made a new folder called "Original" or something like that, where the previous version of the image was saved. Or am I wrong?
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello,no, Apples versions stores them normally via time machine (invisible).Thorsten Hmm. In my setup of GC when I do something to an image (like rotating it) and save it it is just replaced with the edited version. I think I can remember that on my old computer there was made a new folder called "Original" or something like that, where the previous version of the image was saved. Or am I wrong?
csterndk0862

Post by csterndk0862 »

Ok, I think you misunderstand what I mean (or maybe I don't express myself so well). I am aware of how time machine works. But what I want (if it is possible) is that when I save an image in GC instead of just overwriting the original, a copy is first made into the "Originals" folder and then the edited image is saved. For instance, if I rotate an image I will have two copies of the file, the original and the rotated. I thought I have have seen this function some time back(?)The file I was working on was on a net drive which was excluded from my Time machine backup. You may call me careless, but nevertheless that is the situation. In this particular case I could obtain an old copy and no harm was done.Am I completely wrong when I say I think GC could make a backup every time a file is edited (in a separate folder)? I could very well be that I am thinking of another editing program...Thanks for your helpClaus
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Dear Claus,ah - this can be done if you use the save&next button in the top of the window.Just click onto options and configure the behaviour.Thorsten Ok, I think you misunderstand what I mean (or maybe I don't express myself so well). I am aware of how time machine works. But what I want (if it is possible) is that when I save an image in GC instead of just overwriting the original, a copy is first made into the "Originals" folder and then the edited image is saved. For instance, if I rotate an image I will have two copies of the file, the original and the rotated. I thought I have have seen this function some time back(?)The file I was working on was on a net drive which was excluded from my Time machine backup. You may call me careless, but nevertheless that is the situation. In this particular case I could obtain an old copy and no harm was done.Am I completely wrong when I say I think GC could make a backup every time a file is edited (in a separate folder)? I could very well be that I am thinking of another editing program...Thanks for your helpClaus
csterndk0862

Post by csterndk0862 »

Thanks - that was what I was looking for.The problem seems to be related to certain jpgs when they are mirrored vertically. I haven't investigated further.