Dumb Question Alert: Align Objects

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
sdca92108

Dumb Question Alert: Align Objects

Post by sdca92108 »

Now that I am retired I use GC a lot less than before.  I know that I have been able to draw a number of rectangles, multiple-select them and align bottoms in the past.  I simply cannot remember how to select multiple objects.  Would someone please refresh my memory?  Thanks a lot,Jim
thorstenlemke

Re: Dumb Question Alert: Align Objects

Post by thorstenlemke »

Dear Jim,GraphicConverter is not a vector based app.The current approach is:- draw each rectangle onto a new layer- now adjust/move the layersThorsten Now that I am retired I use GC a lot less than before.  I know that I have been able to draw a number of rectangles, multiple-select them and align bottoms in the past.  I simply cannot remember how to select multiple objects.  Would someone please refresh my memory?  Thanks a lot,Jim
Tony Jackson

Post by Tony Jackson »

Hi Jim, Now that I am retired I use GC a lot less than before.  I know that I have been able to draw a number of rectangles, multiple-select them and align bottoms in the past.  I simply cannot remember how to select multiple objects.  Would someone please refresh my memory?  Thanks a lot,For selecting multiple objects, shift-click them, or shift-draw-marquee round them (unshift when you have started drawing the marquee, else it will be stuck as a square, whereas you probably want a rectangle).For aligning them first drag them by eye, then you can pull a marquee from one to anther, and count how many pixels you need to move one.  The select the one to move, and nudge it with the cursor keys. Tony JacksonDevon, UK.
sdca92108

Post by sdca92108 »

Thanks Thorsten, I will try layers this evening but I want to do what Tony suggests.  Right now I have 6 text objects on a page and I can select one object at a time but when I Shift-Click the next object the first object is always deselects.  I cannot get more than one selected at a time and I know I have done that a hundred times.  I think I have tried every combination of Shift, Command, Option and Control and still cannot select more than one object at a time.  Grr!  lol.Does the page have to be a specific file type say .jpg or .png?Is there some preference setting I could have marked incorrectly?Do I use the Pointer or Hand tool?Thanks,  JimHint:  One thing I do when trying to align objects is temporarily draw a line which you will delete later and drag the objects to that lie to arrange them.---In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, <tony@...> wrote :Hi Jim, Now that I am retired I use GC a lot less than before.  I know that I have been able to draw a number of rectangles, multiple-select them and align bottoms in the past.  I simply cannot remember how to select multiple objects.  Would someone please refresh my memory?  Thanks a lot,For selecting multiple objects, shift-click them, or shift-draw-marquee round them (unshift when you have started drawing the marquee, else it will be stuck as a square, whereas you probably want a rectangle).For aligning them first drag them by eye, then you can pull a marquee from one to anther, and count how many pixels you need to move one.  The select the one to move, and nudge it with the cursor keys. Tony JacksonDevon, UK.
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hi,you can`t select multiple text objects, yet.Just enable under the View menu the virtual lines and align object by object.Thorsten Thanks Thorsten, I will try layers this evening but I want to do what Tony suggests.  Right now I have 6 text objects on a page and I can select one object at a time but when I Shift-Click the next object the first object is always deselects.  I cannot get more than one selected at a time and I know I have done that a hundred times.  I think I have tried every combination of Shift, Command, Option and Control and still cannot select more than one object at a time.  Grr!  lol.Does the page have to be a specific file type say .jpg or .png?Is there some preference setting I could have marked incorrectly?
J S

Post by J S »

Thanks again.  I know I have done what I wanted to do in the past but it must have been another "lesser" quality program.  If this has turned into a feature request since you said yet, may I also suggest an alignment tool to align left, right, top or bottom?  Thanks, Jim On 3/10/16 10:09 PM, Thorsten Lemke lemke@lemkesoft.de [gcmac] wrote:   Hi, you can`t select multiple text objects, yet. Just enable under the View menu the virtual lines and align object by object. Thorsten Thanks Thorsten, I will try layers this evening but I want to do what Tony suggests.  Right now I have 6 text objects on a page and I can select one object at a time but when I Shift-Click the next object the first object is always deselects.  I cannot get more than one selected at a time and I know I have done that a hundred times.  I think I have tried every combination of Shift, Command, Option and Control and still cannot select more than one object at a time.  Grr!  lol. Does the page have to be a specific file type say .jpg or .png? Is there some preference setting I could have marked incorrectly?
Robert Ameeti

Post by Robert Ameeti »

As you’ve spoken about Virtual Lines, it would be nice to see both Virtual Lines and Text when using the Detail Window.Separate question: When I use View As popdown, or the Zoom In, the graphic zooms in for a moment, then pops back to ‘full size’. Why does it no longer allow me to zoom in beyond what is ‘full size’ or ‘full screen’? I’m sure this was changed and it is definitely confusing. When I ask for zoom, I want zoom. Robert Ameeti(949) 422-6866 On Mar 10, 2016, at 10:09 PM, Thorsten Lemke lemke@lemkesoft.de [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Hi,you can`t select multiple text objects, yet.Just enable under the View menu the virtual lines and align object by object.ThorstenThanks Thorsten, I will try layers this evening but I want to do what Tony suggests.  Right now I have 6 text objects on a page and I can select one object at a time but when I Shift-Click the next object the first object is always deselects.  I cannot get more than one selected at a time and I know I have done that a hundred times.  I think I have tried every combination of Shift, Command, Option and Control and still cannot select more than one object at a time.  Grr!  lol.Does the page have to be a specific file type say .jpg or .png?Is there some preference setting I could have marked incorrectly?
Robert Ameeti

Post by Robert Ameeti »

I’m sure if and when he might implement alignment, he will also include ‘Between top and bottom centers’ as well as ‘Between top and bottom centers’.Heck, he might even include a Spacing option, in the Vertical, or the Horizontal direction. Robert Ameeti(949) 422-6866 On Mar 11, 2016, at 6:14 AM, J S sdca92108@yahoo.com [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Thanks again.  I know I have done what I wanted to do in the past but it must have been another "lesser" quality program.  If this has turned into a feature request since you said yet, may I also suggest an alignment tool to align left, right, top or bottom?  Thanks,JimOn 3/10/16 10:09 PM, Thorsten Lemke lemke@lemkesoft.de [gcmac] wrote: Hi,you can`t select multiple text objects, yet.Just enable under the View menu the virtual lines and align object by object.ThorstenThanks Thorsten, I will try layers this evening but I want to do what Tony suggests.  Right now I have 6 text objects on a page and I can select one object at a time but when I Shift-Click the next object the first object is always deselects.  I cannot get more than one selected at a time and I know I have done that a hundred times.  I think I have tried every combination of Shift, Command, Option and Control and still cannot select more than one object at a time.  Grr!  lol.Does the page have to be a specific file type say .jpg or .png?Is there some preference setting I could have marked incorrectly?