Transparency

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
Anne Judge

Transparency

Post by Anne Judge »

I just upgraded a couple months ago (kicking & screaming) from Snow Leopard to El Capitan and from GC - hmm, 6.7? - to 9, so some things have changed. I'm not a heavy/power GC user, but it was always great for fiddling around with generally light-duty changes. Just now I'm using it to make quick-and-dirty changes to B&W line drawings. I generally do a screen shot (png), then work on that. (The lines were cleaner than when I opened the PDF in GC.) Transparency is driving me crazy. Don't get me wrong, I love transparency when I want it. But I can't seem to just turn it off, make it not happen now, and I don't understand the logic it's following. I *think* I've figured out one issue which has been bugging me - reading the manual helped. :-) But here's one I can't figure out: If I select an area and delete it (hit backspace), instead of its being replaced by the background color as I'm used to, I'm left with a transparent area. Is this just what happens? In the case I just tried, the background color is set to white, the transparent color (in the transparency tool) is set to black, and the "make color transparent" box is NOT checked. I can't find any more transparency controls in the menus, or mentioned in the Hagen manual. I selected a line I wanted to go away, hit backspace, and ended up with a checkerboard area instead of white. It is the background color, but that bit of it is displayed as transparent. I know I can turn the checkerboard off in prefs, but I want to not have transparency, not just not see it. Also, once that cut area is transparent, the ONLY way I can find to make it not transparent is to pour in another color, then pour in the background color back in. Another question I found while trying to figure this out - If I *do* use the transparent tool to make all of a color transparent, it then appears impossible to make it *not* transparent. The tool no longer toggles as it did before. How can you remove transparency? Thanks Anne
thorstenlemke

Re: Transparency

Post by thorstenlemke »

Dear Anne,ah - really simple. You image has an alpha channel.Just select Edit/Alpha Channel/Flatten if you want an image without alpha.Thorsten On 18.04.2016, at 20:05, Anne Judge anne.judge@alum.mit.edu [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:I just upgraded a couple months ago (kicking & screaming) from Snow Leopard to El Capitan and from GC - hmm, 6.7? - to 9, so some things have changed. I'm not a heavy/power GC user, but it was always great for fiddling around with generally light-duty changes.