HP 3180 Scanner

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
Richard Montgomery

HP 3180 Scanner

Post by Richard Montgomery »

Trying to scan from an HP Photosmart C3180, I don't see the scanner in the TWAIN sources and HP's web site says just to use the drivers included with Mac OS X - no downloads seem to be available from HP. So "Scan with TWAIN" doesn't work. When I select "Scan with image capture" I get a preview of what's in the scanner, but when I click Scan I get "The selected folder is not writable." The manual really doesn't say much about the feature, and I don't see anything about selecting the destination folder either in the manual or in the Image Capture / TWAIN preferences. Am I missing some obvious setting somewhere? Thanks, Rick
thorstenlemke

Re: HP 3180 Scanner

Post by thorstenlemke »

Dear Rick,the scanner manufacturer has to deliver twain drivers.Maybe HP do no longer support it.So, just try to scan with image capture. That will use the Apple generic drivers.Thorsten Trying to scan from an HP Photosmart C3180, I don't see the scanner in the TWAIN sources and HP's web site says just to use the drivers included with Mac OS X - no downloads seem to be available from HP. So "Scan with TWAIN" doesn't work.When I select "Scan with image capture" I get a preview of what's in the scanner, but when I click Scan I get "The selected folder is not writable." The manual really doesn't say much about the feature, and I don't see anything about selecting the destination folder either in the manual or in the Image Capture / TWAIN preferences.Am I missing some obvious setting somewhere?Thanks,Rick
David

Post by David »

Does the 3180 have 'scan to email'?  I use this feature on a 5520...David-------- Original message --------From: "Richard Montgomery rickm@mac.com [gcmac]" <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> Date: 4/19/2016 23:43 (GMT-06:00) To: gcmac@yahoogroups.com Subject: [gcmac] HP 3180 Scanner   Trying to scan from an HP Photosmart C3180, I don't see the scanner in the TWAIN sources and HP's web site says just to use the drivers included with Mac OS X - no downloads seem to be available from HP. So "Scan with TWAIN" doesn't work. When I select "Scan with image capture" I get a preview of what's in the scanner, but when I click Scan I get "The selected folder is not writable." The manual really doesn't say much about the feature, and I don't see anything about selecting the destination folder either in the manual or in the Image Capture / TWAIN preferences. Am I missing some obvious setting somewhere? Thanks, Rick
Richard Montgomery

Post by Richard Montgomery »

But scan with image capture doesn't work. It just says the selected folder is not writable. Rick
Bill Bedford

Post by Bill Bedford »

On Wed, 20 Apr 2016 07:40:23 -0400, Richard Montgomery rickm@mac.com [gcmac] wrote: > But scan with image capture doesn't work. It just says the selected > folder is not writable. > Then choose another folder for the software to write to. This is set in the GC preferences -> General -> Image Capture/Twain page. -- Bill Bedford "Man is an animal suspended in webs of significance he himself has spun" -- Clifford Geertz
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Do you use GraphicConverter the normal version or the Mac App Store version?Thorsten But scan with image capture doesn't work. It just says the selected folder is not writable.
Russell

Post by Russell »

Hi, I hope you don’t mind me jumping in.  If I am following this conversation correctly, I can still use an obsolete scanner (one with no drivers) if I use the Scan With Image Capture function within GC?  Am I correct?Thank you,Russell On Apr 20, 2016, at 7:45 AM, Bill Bedford billb@mousa.biz [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:On Wed, 20 Apr 2016 07:40:23 -0400, Richard Montgomery rickm@mac.com [gcmac] wrote:> But scan with image capture doesn't work. It just says the selected > folder is not writable.> Then choose another folder for the software to write to. This is set in the GC preferences -> General -> Image Capture/Twain page.-- Bill Bedford"Man is an animal suspended in webs of significance he himself has spun"-- Clifford Geertz
J.J. McVeigh

Re: obsolete scanner

Post by J.J. McVeigh »

On Wed, 20 Apr 2016 19:25:48 -0400, Russell perrahunter@gmail.com [gcmac] wrote: > Hi, I hope you don’t mind me jumping in. If I am following this > conversation correctly, I can still use an obsolete scanner (one with > no drivers) if I use the Scan With Image Capture function within GC? > Am I correct? > > Thank you, > > Russell I don't know the answer, but if it is no, perhaps VueScan might help? <http://www.hamrick.com> <https://www.hamrick.com/support/frequen ... escan.html> I am using Vuescan to get still more life out of an Epson Expression 636 flatbed scanner with a transparency adaptor and an ADF, which has a SCSI connection port. The Epson is connected to my MacBook Pro, which has Thunderbolt ports, as follows: MacBook Pro > [Thunderbolt Cable] > Apple Thunderbolt Monitor > [FireWire 800 to FireWire 400 Adaptor Cable] > Ratoc Firewire to SCSI Adaptor > Epson Scanner. I am also using Vuescan to get more life out of an Epson Perfection scanner with a transparency adaptor and an ADF, which has a FireWire 400 connection port. The Epson is connected to a MacBook Air, which has a Thunderbolt port, as follows: MacBook Air > [Thunderbolt Cable] > Apple Thunderbolt Monitor > [FireWire 800 to FireWire 400 Adaptor Cable] > Epson Scanner. All scanner functions are available. J.J. McVeigh, Attorney At Law Butler, Maryland Practice before the Federal Communications Commission Member: NY, DC, and USPTO Bars
David L. Wasley

Post by David L. Wasley »

+1 I highly recommend Vuescan; I’ve been using it for many years. It has an option to hand off a scan to a user specified “viewer”. I started using Vuescan when I needed a driver for a Canon FS2720 film scanner for which Canon disavowed any knowledge. Vuescan is very actively and well maintained. David (just a customer; not associated with Vuescan in any other way!) > On Apr 21, 2016, at 5:21 AM, 'J.J. McVeigh' kd4vs@comcast.net [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: > > On Wed, 20 Apr 2016 19:25:48 -0400, Russell perrahunter@gmail.com > [gcmac] wrote: > >> Hi, I hope you don’t mind me jumping in. If I am following this >> conversation correctly, I can still use an obsolete scanner (one with >> no drivers) if I use the Scan With Image Capture function within GC? >> Am I correct? >> >> Thank you, >> >> Russell > > I don't know the answer, but if it is no, perhaps VueScan might help? > > <http://www.hamrick.com> > > <https://www.hamrick.com/support/frequen ... escan.html> > > I am using Vuescan to get still more life out of an Epson Expression > 636 flatbed scanner with a transparency adaptor and an ADF, which has a > SCSI connection port. The Epson is connected to my MacBook Pro, which > has Thunderbolt ports, as follows: > > MacBook Pro > [Thunderbolt Cable] > Apple Thunderbolt Monitor > > [FireWire 800 to FireWire 400 Adaptor Cable] > Ratoc Firewire to SCSI > Adaptor > Epson Scanner. > > I am also using Vuescan to get more life out of an Epson Perfection > scanner with a transparency adaptor and an ADF, which has a FireWire > 400 connection port. The Epson is connected to a MacBook Air, which > has a Thunderbolt port, as follows: > > MacBook Air > [Thunderbolt Cable] > Apple Thunderbolt Monitor > > [FireWire 800 to FireWire 400 Adaptor Cable] > Epson Scanner. > > All scanner functions are available. > > J.J. McVeigh, Attorney At Law > Butler, Maryland > Practice before the Federal Communications Commission > Member: NY, DC, and USPTO Bars > > ------------------------------------ > > ------------------------------------ > > > ------------------------------------ > > Yahoo Groups Links > > >
Chris Barker

Post by Chris Barker »

I use Vuescan too, I have done for about 10 years.  Ed Hamrick must be the most dedicated software engineer in the world.Chris On 21 Apr 16, at 18:33, 'David L. Wasley' dlwasley@earthlink.net [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:+1 I highly recommend Vuescan; I’ve been using it for many years. It has an option to hand off a scan to a user specified “viewer”.I started using Vuescan when I needed a driver for a Canon FS2720 film scanner for which Canon disavowed any knowledge.  Vuescan is very actively and well maintained.David (just a customer; not associated with Vuescan in any other way!)> On Apr 21, 2016, at 5:21 AM, 'J.J. McVeigh' kd4vs@comcast.net [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:> > On Wed, 20 Apr 2016 19:25:48 -0400, Russell perrahunter@gmail.com > [gcmac] wrote:> >> Hi, I hope you don’t mind me jumping in. If I am following this >> conversation correctly, I can still use an obsolete scanner (one with >> no drivers) if I use the Scan With Image Capture function within GC?  >> Am I correct?>> >> Thank you,>> >> Russell> > I don't know the answer, but if it is no, perhaps VueScan might help?> > <http://www.hamrick.com>> > <https://www.hamrick.com/support/frequen ... escan.html>> > I am using Vuescan to get still more life out of an Epson Expression > 636 flatbed scanner with a transparency adaptor and an ADF, which has a > SCSI connection port. The Epson is connected to my MacBook Pro, which > has Thunderbolt ports, as follows:> > MacBook Pro > [Thunderbolt Cable] > Apple Thunderbolt Monitor > > [FireWire 800 to FireWire 400 Adaptor Cable] > Ratoc Firewire to SCSI > Adaptor > Epson Scanner.> > I am also using Vuescan to get more life out of an Epson Perfection > scanner with a transparency adaptor and an ADF, which has a FireWire > 400 connection port. The Epson is connected to a MacBook Air, which > has a Thunderbolt port, as follows:> > MacBook Air > [Thunderbolt Cable] > Apple Thunderbolt Monitor > > [FireWire 800 to FireWire 400 Adaptor Cable] > Epson Scanner.> > All scanner functions are available.> > J.J. McVeigh, Attorney At Law> Butler, Maryland> Practice before the Federal Communications Commission> Member: NY, DC, and USPTO Bars> > ------------------------------------> > ------------------------------------> > > ------------------------------------> > Yahoo Groups Links> > >