Re: Fw: new message

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
eligurwayne

Post by eligurwayne »

hello patmaguire@rocketmail.com If you sent me a message on yahoo groups GC I was unable to read it.Do resend it?Regards:Wayne Eligur
watcombeman

Post by watcombeman »

I think this was a troll :-(
Karl Brooks

Post by Karl Brooks »

Yep. Pure Spam. On May 12, 2016, at 1:46 PM, john@yclept.wanadoo.co.uk [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:   I think this was a troll :-(
eligurwayne

Post by eligurwayne »

well it was weird - Yahoo groups  this kind of thing rare?
Bill Bedford

Post by Bill Bedford »

On 12 May 2016 14:25:44 -0700, eligurwayne@yahoo.ca [gcmac] wrote: > well it was weird - Yahoo groups this kind of thing rare? No, quite common. It's because Yahoo's subscriber databases have been hacked for their addresses. -- Bill Bedford "Man is an animal suspended in webs of significance he himself has spun" -- Clifford Geertz
Carl von Einem

Post by Carl von Einem »

Bill Bedford billb@mousa.biz [gcmac] wrote on 12.05.16 23:33: > On 12 May 2016 14:25:44 -0700, eligurwayne@yahoo.ca [gcmac] wrote: >> well it was weird - Yahoo groups this kind of thing rare? > > No, quite common. It's because Yahoo's subscriber databases have been > hacked for their addresses. I wouldn't blame Yahoo for this: typically spammers are able to easily hack the accounts of users who fail to secure their accounts with a strong enough password. I'm a owner/moderator of another Yahoo group with 1200+ members so I have some experience with this problem. My Yahoo account has never been compromised by hackers. And just to give you an example for a company who really messed up things: back in 2010 Adobe insisted on having my email + password just to activate my software. What a good idea to set up a genuine email address (with a strong pw) just for them! Since Oct. 2013 I receive Spam directed to that very address I only told Adobe and never used to actually send /receive emails. Maybe you remember the press release by Adobe from Oct. 2013 saying that a hack happened but all client information is safe... Carl
Al Treder

Post by Al Treder »

Now that is a very solid reply. Thanks for the empirical evidence, Carl. Al “ Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing.” -- Harriet Braiker On May 12, 2016, at 2:59 PM, Carl von Einem einem@gmx.de [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: Bill Bedford billb@mousa.biz [gcmac] wrote on 12.05.16 23:33: > On 12 May 2016 14:25:44 -0700, eligurwayne@yahoo.ca [gcmac] wrote: >> well it was weird - Yahoo groups this kind of thing rare? > > No, quite common. It's because Yahoo's subscriber databases have been > hacked for their addresses. I wouldn't blame Yahoo for this: typically spammers are able to easily hack the accounts of users who fail to secure their accounts with a strong enough password. I'm a owner/moderator of another Yahoo group with 1200+ members so I have some experience with this problem. My Yahoo account has never been compromised by hackers. And just to give you an example for a company who really messed up things: back in 2010 Adobe insisted on having my email + password just to activate my software. What a good idea to set up a genuine email address (with a strong pw) just for them! Since Oct. 2013 I receive Spam directed to that very address I only told Adobe and never used to actually send /receive emails. Maybe you remember the press release by Adobe from Oct. 2013 saying that a hack happened but all client information is safe... Carl ------------------------------------ ------------------------------------ ------------------------------------ Yahoo Groups Links
Tony Jackson

Post by Tony Jackson »

Hi Carl I wouldn't blame Yahoo for this: typically spammers are able to easily hack the accounts of users who fail to secure their accounts with a strong enough password.I'm a owner/moderator of another Yahoo group with 1200+ members so I have some experience with this problem.I’m owner of a Yahoo list of a few dozen members.  I used a new (non-yahoo) address for this.  Immediately started getting a load of US-based (and thus irrelevant to me) spam.I presumed that Yahoo had simply sold my address.The present case, however, looks more sinister than spam.I would never open a link like the one Pat received without first checking with the apparent sender.  In every such case in my experience the sender’s address book has been got at by a piece of malware, and many of their friends have received similar emails.Looks rather as though Wayne also opened/tried to open the link, so he is likely infected.Alas, more caution is required.Best, Tony. Tony JacksonDevon, UK.
Karl Brooks

Post by Karl Brooks »

Nope. On May 12, 2016, at 4:25 PM, eligurwayne@yahoo.ca [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:well it was weird - Yahoo groups  this kind of thing rare?
Wayne Eligur

Post by Wayne Eligur »

I certainly did open that and a blank screen appeared. How to clean this latest OS? CLAM?