Re: Fw: new message

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
Don Sample

Re: Enlarging

Post by Don Sample »

When doing post processing on things like astronomical photos taken with telescopes or images from spacecraft, they have a lot more information available than just the raw starting image. They know everything about the camera used to take the picture. They know its focal length, aperture size, exposure time, and what the flaws are in the lenses and mirrors. If something is a little blurry because someone goofed when grinding the mirror and no one caught it before it was launched into space (as happened with Hubble) they can figure out what convolutions they have to put the photos through to get back some of the detail that was lost because of that bad mirror. There are techniques that let you integrate multiple lower resolution pictures together into one higher resolution picture. None of this is applicable if you've just got one photo that you're trying to make seven times bigger. On 2016-05-17, at 4:03 PM, Wayne Eligur eligurwayne@yahoo.ca [gcmac] wrote: > I get an impression NASA writes some of this processes because of what it does to their own images. And that my local University - University of Arizona [Mars Exploration Center] actually told me that they all use Apple and all have GC installed when I asked them in 2006. > > They supposedly coordinate Mars Missions Curiosity, Mars Hi-Rise, Mars Orbiting Camera and others. > >
Wayne Eligur

Post by Wayne Eligur »

Don't know exactly there...I after over a decade doing/redoing NASA - all I say for sure is they are a rogue agency and complicit in crime.I have examples to prove the proverb one picture is worth 1000 words,My own government has gone rogue entirely as well.When writing anything for Apple one uses a standard method. On WIN one can be flexible and not confined to 'packages' as does Apple. COCOA is a version of C++ I guess.My point there are many points that something can be inserted in any part of any Apple or other applications.I'd have to post a You Tube showing exactly how the subroutine 'cleans up' a lot of blurs and there is other programming along the lines of fractal compression and layers using I noticed at one time -2009- a version of PREVIEW actually had the NASA logo.image recovery mathematicalhttp://www.maths.usyd.edu.au/u/olver/teaching/ ... ject.pdfMy Flickr page all done with Graphic Converter ONLYhttps://www.flickr.com/photos/100747744@N02and Gigapan page PIA19069: Bedding Pattern Interpreted as Martian Delta DepositionSOLAR DYNAMICS OBSERVATORY 25 oct 2014       SOLAR DYNAMICS OBSERVATORY 25 oct 2014http://sdo.gsfc.nasa.gov/assets/img/latest/f_304_211_171.jpgView on gigapan.comPreview by Yahoo        PIA19069: Bedding Pattern Interpreted as Martian Delt...PIA19069 This view from the Mast Camera (Mastcam) on NASA's Curiosity Mars rover looks southward at the Kimberley waypoint. In the foreground, multiple s...View on gigapan.comPreview by Yahoo 
Al Treder

Post by Al Treder »

I think you need to stop posting now. You’re sounding like a ranting conspiracy theorist. We don’t need such posts. Al“ Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. ”-- Arthur C. Clarke On May 17, 2016, at 2:58 PM, Wayne Eligur eligurwayne@yahoo.ca [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Don't know exactly there...I after over a decade doing/redoing NASA - all I say for sure is they are a rogue agency and complicit in crime.I have examples to prove the proverb one picture is worth 1000 words,My own government has gone rogue entirely as well.When writing anything for Apple one uses a standard method. On WIN one can be flexible and not confined to 'packages' as does Apple. COCOA is a version of C++ I guess.My point there are many points that something can be inserted in any part of any Apple or other applications.I'd have to post a You Tube showing exactly how the subroutine 'cleans up' a lot of blurs and there is other programming along the lines of fractal compression and layers using I noticed at one time -2009- a version of PREVIEW actually had the NASA logo.image recovery mathematicalhttp://www.maths.usyd.edu.au/u/olver/teaching/ ... ject.pdfMy Flickr page all done with Graphic Converter ONLYhttps://www.flickr.com/photos/100747744@N02and Gigapan page PIA19069: Bedding Pattern Interpreted as Martian Delta DepositionSOLAR DYNAMICS OBSERVATORY 25 oct 2014       SOLAR DYNAMICS OBSERVATORY 25 oct 2014http://sdo.gsfc.nasa.gov/assets/img/latest/f_304_211_171.jpgView on gigapan.comPreview by Yahoo        PIA19069: Bedding Pattern Interpreted as Martian Delt...PIA19069 This view from the Mast Camera (Mastcam) on NASA's Curiosity Mars rover looks southward at the Kimberley waypoint. In the foreground, multiple s...View on gigapan.comPreview by Yahoo 
eligurwayne

Post by eligurwayne »

“ Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. ”Just showing YOU some of this MAGIC no need to talk trash 
Zalman Lazkowicz

Post by Zalman Lazkowicz »

You’re right that in professional photography these type of things are rarely used if at all.but what I’m doing is not photography. I create posters from much smaller pictures. And the posters are meant to be viewed at a distance.So enlarging these pictures doesn’t change them in any way, after applying to them contrast and sharpenning. The final result looks even better than a small original picture. I use Smilla Enlarger, which does quite a nice job. Try and see. It’s free.Zal Lazkowicz On 17 May 2016, at 5:54 PM, Hagen Henke hagen.henke@gmx.de [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Hello,sorry to tell you: there is no software that can do magic. The quality you already reached I think is the maximum possible. I am in professional layout and photography and what we usually do is to go for a new shot of that product or print it much smaller.Regards, Hagen HenkeAm 14.05.2016 um 06:59 schrieb Zalman Lazkowicz zlazkow@yahoo.com [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com>:I’m trying to enlarge a 740x620 px image(book cover) to at least 3400x3000 at 300 dpi. That’s for printing.I used two applications to enlarge an image. One is SmillaEnlarger and another one from App Store.Smilla has only one interpolation method. The other application has at least 20 interpolations methods.I tried them all. Then I used GC, B-Spline. The result was almost identical to other two. Not bad, but I need something better.Anybody knows if HQ Enlarger (in App Store)does a better job ?There is also PhotoZoom and another one, but at $80 no way.Thanks!