Searching Caption word

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
iamabbqueen

Searching Caption word

Post by iamabbqueen »

Hello,I just upgraded to GC 9.7.5 in hopes of fixing my search issues but it seems to have made it worse. I am trying to search for a word I have entered in the Edit File Info> Caption tab> Caption field. In my prior version of GC (9.2 I think) it was just not finding the photos that had been captioned. Now, in GC 9.7.5 when I hit Command-F, the cursor goes to the search box at the top of the browser window and the only thing I can search for is a file name. If I enter something in this search box, files with that name will be found. At that point I can refine the search but I am only able to search those files that had the file name I put in initially. Any help would be appreciated. I have entered captions for thousands of images and really need a way to be able to search them.
thorstenlemke

Re: Searching Caption word

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello,I just rechecked.The search for the caption works perfectly.Where are the files stored? The search uses Spotlight. So, the volume must be indexed.http://www.lemkesoft.org/help/search.mp4 Thorsten Hello,I just upgraded to GC 9.7.5 in hopes of fixing my search issues but it seems to have made it worse. I am trying to search for a word I have entered in the Edit File Info> Caption tab> Caption field. In my prior version of GC (9.2 I think) it was just not finding the photos that had been captioned. Now, in GC 9.7.5 when I hit Command-F, the cursor goes to the search box at the top of the browser window and the only thing I can search for is a file name. If I enter something in this search box, files with that name will be found. At that point I can refine the search but I am only able to search those files that had the file name I put in initially. Any help would be appreciated. I have entered captions for thousands of images and really need a way to be able to search them. 
iamabbqueen

Post by iamabbqueen »

The files are on my hard drive. I excluded the folder that contains the files then un-excluded it to force Spotlight to reindex it. I did this two days ago and it still is not finding files. Here are more details. I have about 2500 images in a folder (with subfolders) called 'cuba'. Each image is tagged in the keyword field with 'cuba16'.  About 10 images have a caption that contains the word 'coppelia.'  When I hit command-F and search for 'cuba16' I get the correct number of images found.  When I search for 'coppelia' I get no images found. It does indeed sound like it is an indexing problem but it seems odd that it would take two days to index a folder with only 2500 items.Also I am having another odd issue. I am unable to bring up the browser search window without typing something in the search bar first. It used to be that the search box at the top of the browser window only searched for only for file names (unlike what the video at the link above shows) and if I hit command-F the browser search would come up and I could search for other things besides names (like file size). In fact page 243 of the (English language) manual states "The search box in the toolbar is identical to the search box for the search mode. However, conditions cannot be defined and only the current folder is searched for the file-name."So it sounds like it should be searching for only the file name, not what is in the caption field.Any thoughts? I am unable to search the caption field reliably and unable to search for anything other than a text based field. Thank you for your help.
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello,hmm, really curious. Do the files appear if you search with the Finder for that caption?Thorsten The files are on my hard drive. I excluded the folder that contains the files then un-excluded it to force Spotlight to reindex it. I did this two days ago and it still is not finding files. 
Wayne Eligur

Post by Wayne Eligur »

This new OS update excludes flash drive in finder  and keeps not reading it...
iamabbqueen

Post by iamabbqueen »

No, the files do not appear if I search using spotlight. Sounds like a spotlight issue then. I'll try updating my system and see what happens.Thanks for your help.
Wayne Eligur

Post by Wayne Eligur »

If you report this issue to Apple it may get fixed - I do find the OS not recognizing the USB port as a serious bug and if that then maybe it does do the same to Spotlight? I got 10 11 4 and it gets worse.
Gordon Neault

Post by Gordon Neault »

This may be completely irrelevant, but you can’t assume a given system consists simply of the base OS install plus Graphic Converter, and nothing else. So, just in case it applies in your case: There are a number of Audio Softwares which are designed to offer an improved sound quality when (for example) listening via headphones or listening via an external Digital/Audio Converter instead of the (typical) Apple internal DAC. This type of software often defaults, or offers the option to disable, certain standard OSX routines, with the intention of lowering the overhead of the system. One of the routines commonly disabled is Spotlight, as background disk activity (such as live indexing) is one of the routines known to degrade audio quality. The ideal behaviour is to revert to standard OSX routines when said software quits, but in some cases this desired outcome fails, with the result that Spotlight is disabled until the next restart. If you have such software installed and are in the habit of listening to stored audio while working on images in Graphic Converter, or tend to run your system with few or no restarts, it’s possible this could be the reason Spotlight is not indexing your files correctly. A restart (and avoiding running said software) is the solution. Although I do not know of other software that might affect Spotlight Indexing, certainly it’s not out of the question that such might exist, and clearly disabling Spotlight routines is possible (as demonstrated by the above instances), so a restart might be in order in any case, to see if it remedies the situation.