[ANN] GraphicConverter 10 (Build 2566)

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
thorstenlemke

Re: [ANN] GraphicConverter 10 (Build 2566)

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hi,can you please explain the pixel issue?Thorsten Yes, I had another go and found it - but no mention of changes to pixel accuracy, alas.  Can you confirm that this has not featured among the bug fixes since v. 8 was introduced?
Tony Jackson

Re: [ANN] GraphicConverter 10 (Build 2566) Pixel editing

Post by Tony Jackson »

Hi Thorsten, can you please explain the pixel issue?Here is part of what I wrote in 2011…By way of refreshment, I remind you of the elements I've asked about before:The marquee tool still is not aligned with the pixels on the screen.  Even at 500% I was making errors of selection.  It 'shimmers', which makes it harder to see where exactly it is positioned, compared with GC5Nor is the pencil tool (or probably all the others)This is no longer a problem with the pencil tool, but the ‘filled rectangle has the same problem of hopping one pixel to the right as you drag it to the left, or one downwards if you drag upwards....It is now five months since I paid in good faith for v.7.  I am a pensioner, and registering GC cost me the money I receive to live on for a day.  As a long-time user, I felt paying up was correct, and my little contribution to keeping the program going, and thanking Thorsten for his efforts.I believed it when I was told that V5 would not work on OS10.6.  Indeed, most obviously it will not open double-clicked files, or files dragged over its icon, which is a nuisance.  But for the rest it still works much better, for pixel-editing, than V7.I have asked repeatedly for an indication of when these bugs will be corrected in V7, but have never had a reply... Then I downloaded v. 8, but the problem remained, and now Black and White and 4-colour are no longer options under ‘Picture-> Colours’.I don’t recall whether it was an issue in v.7, but you can only have a one-pixel marquee if you draw it from left to right.  If you draw it from right to left the RH margin hops rightwards one pixel.Drawing a marquee downwards or upwards produces the same ‘hop’ of the starting edge.I don’t know why, perhaps it is my eyesight, but in v. 5.6 I can work at 200%, but in v. 8 I have to work at 1000% for similar control - plus the same problem with marquee boundaries.So I’ve kept an earlier Mac with OS 10.4 for doing GC work.  But this is not very convenient…Best regards, Tony. Tony JacksonDevon, UK.
Wayne Eligur

Post by Wayne Eligur »

I noticed that the GC 10 [both versions of them] can't drag-and-drop to open an image on first uses;  but after a while it works..... the current latest operating sys. upgrades are full of bugs as well. Not functioning well.
William H. Magill

Post by William H. Magill »

I believe this phenomena has to do with caching time, i.e. OSX Memory management activity. Recent versions of OSX have paid a great deal of attention to cutting down on “launch-time” — however, the launch seems to expect that a “pop-up” of some soft will distract the user from “doing anything useful” until the complete lode is finished. I see this constantly with standard Apple aps — Mail, Preview, even Safari. I tend to quit them rather than simply let them idle in the background. When they have to load from scratch, instead of being “pre-loaded” in cache, they exhibit the “spinning-beach-ball” for several seconds until they get fully loaded, even though the opening screen has completely displayed, you simply cannot do anything with them. As best I can tell, much of this has to do with “the cloud” — there is far more reliance upon and communication with “the cloud” now with El Capitan and its apps than in the past. There are timers involved which are of necessity long because the latency in communicating with “the cloud” is unpredictable. The Internet is fast, but access to “the cloud” is not instantaneous and any number of issues can make things “slow” - from time of day to sunspots. Cache is a wonderful tool used by the Computing World to speed things up — but it is almost always dependent upon you doing exactly what you did before, or the next “logical step.” Disk caching is a good example. Rotational latency of a disk determines how quickly something can be read (or written), so caching is employed both by the disk drive manufacturers and the OS vendors to “speed things up.” As long as your “next read” is the same as the “predicted next read” loaded in the cache are the same, it works. But if your next read requires that data be read from the disk, you have to wait, literally, for it to come round again! > On May 26, 2016, at 10:50 AM, Wayne Eligur eligurwayne@yahoo.ca [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: > > I noticed that the GC 10 [both versions of them] can't drag-and-drop to open an image on first uses; but after a while it works..... the current latest operating sys. upgrades are full of bugs as well. Not functioning well. T.T.F.N. William H. Magill # iMac11,3 Core i7 [2.93GHz - 8 GB 1067MHz] OS X 10.11 # Macmini6,1 Intel Core i5 [2.5 Ghz - 4GB 1600MHz] OS X 10.11 magill@icloud.com magill@mac.com whmagill@gmail.com
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hi,ah, I use the Apple Cocoa routines for drawing. That is here the problem. Just draw from the left to the right/bottom at the moment. I will recheck that.GraphicConverter 8 and later was completely rewritten. So, only 8 bit grayscale or more is supported.But if you image uses less color (i.e. only black and white) the image will be reduced back to 1 bit upon saving i.e. as TIFF.Thorsten This is no longer a problem with the pencil tool, but the ‘filled rectangle has the same problem of hopping one pixel to the right as you drag it to the left, or one downwards if you drag upwards.
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hi,was the First Steps dialog maybe open?Thorsten I noticed that the GC 10 [both versions of them] can't drag-and-drop to open an image on first uses;  but after a while it works..... the current latest operating sys. upgrades are full of bugs as well. Not functioning well.
Wayne Eligur

Post by Wayne Eligur »

Thorsten I do believe the fault is in the OS-X not of GCThings are not good with an older machine and the latest upgrade of El Capitan especially! And over a short time Apple silently repairs this kind of thing.I think they look here too on Yahoo/GC
John Mc

Post by John Mc »

Any benefit to purchasing one way or another? (Although you keep more $$ through Kagi?) - J
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Dear John,the Mac App Store version has some restrictions due Apple sandboxing and Apple guidelines:https://www.lemkesoft.de/en/products/gr ... e/Thorsten Any benefit to purchasing one way or another? (Although you keep more $$ through Kagi?)