color photo negatives

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
bmason44

color photo negatives

Post by bmason44 »

I am undertaking a project of scanning all my photos.  There are some photos, however, where I no longer have the photo, all I have is the color negative.Can someone please walk me through the steps to taking the scan of the negative and creating a normal photo image from it?  I have tried "Invert" from the "Picture" menu, and choosing "Luminance" gives the best result, but the result is nowhere near the correct, natural colors.What do I need to do?Thanks.Brian.
thorstenlemke

Re: color photo negatives

Post by thorstenlemke »

Dear Brian,the correction process depends on the maker of the negative film. Also, on the quality of the negative.Simple e-mail one scanned file to lemke@lemkesoft.deThorsten I am undertaking a project of scanning all my photos.  There are some photos, however, where I no longer have the photo, all I have is the color negative.Can someone please walk me through the steps to taking the scan of the negative and creating a normal photo image from it?  I have tried "Invert" from the "Picture" menu, and choosing "Luminance" gives the best result, but the result is nowhere near the correct, natural colors.What do I need to do?Thanks.Brian.
Chris Barker

Post by Chris Barker »

What are you using to scan the negatives, Brian?  If it is a scanner you will need a transparency mode because the light has to go through the negative rather than be bounced of it as with a print.I’m using an old Epson flatbed scanner with a transparency mode and it works very well along with Vuescan from hamrick.com, an excellent application that works with a very large number of scanners, whatever the make.Chris On 14 Jun 16, at 03:17, brian@wyomason.net [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:I am undertaking a project of scanning all my photos.  There are some photos, however, where I no longer have the photo, all I have is the color negative.Can someone please walk me through the steps to taking the scan of the negative and creating a normal photo image from it?  I have tried "Invert" from the "Picture" menu, and choosing "Luminance" gives the best result, but the result is nowhere near the correct, natural colors.
Brian Mason

Post by Brian Mason »

That is apparently the problem.  After receiving your reply I did a little further research, and I'm getting the same answer from other sources.  Time to go shopping.  Thanks.Brian. On Jun 14, 2016, at 4:42 AM, Chris Barker images@threeshoes.biz [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:What are you using to scan the negatives, Brian?  If it is a scanner you will need a transparency mode because the light has to go through the negative rather than be bounced of it as with a print.I’m using an old Epson flatbed scanner with a transparency mode and it works very well along with Vuescan from hamrick.com, an excellent application that works with a very large number of scanners, whatever the make.ChrisOn 14 Jun 16, at 03:17, brian@wyomason.net [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:I am undertaking a project of scanning all my photos.  There are some photos, however, where I no longer have the photo, all I have is the color negative.Can someone please walk me through the steps to taking the scan of the negative and creating a normal photo image from it?  I have tried "Invert" from the "Picture" menu, and choosing "Luminance" gives the best result, but the result is nowhere near the correct, natural colors.
Brian Mason

Post by Brian Mason »

I've learned that my scanner needs a "transparency adapter" to scan negatives, which it doesn't have.  So the problem is with the scanner.thanks for your reply.Brian. On Jun 14, 2016, at 1:10 AM, Thorsten Lemke lemke@lemkesoft.de [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Dear Brian,the correction process depends on the maker of the negative film. Also, on the quality of the negative.Simple e-mail one scanned file to lemke@lemkesoft.deThorstenI am undertaking a project of scanning all my photos.  There are some photos, however, where I no longer have the photo, all I have is the color negative.Can someone please walk me through the steps to taking the scan of the negative and creating a normal photo image from it?  I have tried "Invert" from the "Picture" menu, and choosing "Luminance" gives the best result, but the result is nowhere near the correct, natural colors.What do I need to do?Thanks.Brian.
Hagen Henke

Post by Hagen Henke »

You could consider to get prints done and scan these if not too many.Hagen ---Hagen HenkeDresdner Str. 2601662 Meia�enTel: 03521 / 71 77 494Mobil: 0151 / 524 789 21www.fotoservice-henke.de Am 14 Jun 2016 um 17:45 schrieb Brian Mason brian@wyomason.net [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com>:I've learned that my scanner needs a "transparency adapter" to scan negatives, which it doesn't have.  So the problem is with the scanner.thanks for your reply.Brian.On Jun 14, 2016, at 1:10 AM, Thorsten Lemke lemke@lemkesoft.de [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Dear Brian,the correction process depends on the maker of the negative film. Also, on the quality of the negative.Simple e-mail one scanned file to lemke@lemkesoft.deThorstenI am undertaking a project of scanning all my photos.  There are some photos, however, where I no longer have the photo, all I have is the color negative.Can someone please walk me through the steps to taking the scan of the negative and creating a normal photo image from it?  I have tried "Invert" from the "Picture" menu, and choosing "Luminance" gives the best result, but the result is nowhere near the correct, natural colors.What do I need to do?Thanks.Brian.