GraphicConverter 10.0.0

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
Robert Poland

GraphicConverter 10.0.0

Post by Robert Poland »

hi, I keep getting errors when I try to empty the trash. Errors like this "The operation can't be completed because the item “4726153.tmp" is in use. ". This looks like it's from GraphicConverter. GraphicConverter is currently Not RUNNING. Any comments? Robert Poland iMac, Late 2013, 14,2 3.2 GHz Intel Core I5, 27” 16 GB Ram, 1TB Fusion HD OS X 10.11.5
J.J. McVeigh

Re: GraphicConverter 10.0.0

Post by J.J. McVeigh »

On Mon, 20 Jun 2016 11:03:28 -0600, Robert Poland rpoland@usa.net [gcmac] wrote: > hi, > > I keep getting errors when I try to empty the trash. > > Errors like this "The operation can't be completed because the item > “4726153.tmp" is in use. ". > > This looks like it's from GraphicConverter. GraphicConverter is > currently Not RUNNING. > > Any comments? > > Robert Poland I get that type of message from time to time in Adobe Acrobat. I'm currently running v11, but it has happened with earlier versions. If you do a Get Info on the file, and then click on the Open With arrow, you should see what application is associated with the file. Assuming that it is not a bug in GC 10 (and even if it is), you can force the Trash to empty by: 1. Launching Terminal (Applications > Utilities > Terminal) 2. Enter this command (you can copy it, less the space after the colon, and then paste it into the Terminal window): sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash/* 3. Hit the Return key. 4. Enter the password associated with your User Account. 5. Hit Return 6. Quit Terminal. J.J. McVeigh Butler, Maryland USA
rpoland

Post by rpoland »

> On Jun 20, 2016, at 11:17:AM, 'J.J. McVeigh' kd4vs@comcast.net [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: > > On Mon, 20 Jun 2016 11:03:28 -0600, Robert Poland rpoland@usa.net > [gcmac] wrote: > >> hi, >> >> I keep getting errors when I try to empty the trash. >> >> Errors like this "The operation can't be completed because the item >> “4726153.tmp" is in use. ". >> >> This looks like it's from GraphicConverter. GraphicConverter is >> currently Not RUNNING. >> >> Any comments? >> >> Robert Poland > > I get that type of message from time to time in Adobe Acrobat. I'm > currently running v11, but it has happened with earlier versions. > > If you do a Get Info on the file, and then click on the Open With > arrow, you should see what application is associated with the file. Neither I nor Spotlight have any idea where the file is. > Assuming that it is not a bug in GC 10 (and even if it is), you can > force the Trash to empty by: > > 1. Launching Terminal (Applications > Utilities > Terminal) > > 2. Enter this command (you can copy it, less the space after the colon, > and then paste it into the Terminal window): sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash/* > > 3. Hit the Return key. > > 4. Enter the password associated with your User Account. > > 5. Hit Return > > 6. Quit Terminal. > > J.J. McVeigh > Butler, Maryland USA > > > ------------------------------------ > > ------------------------------------ > > > ------------------------------------ > > Yahoo Groups Links > > > Robert Poland Fort Collins, CO
Frank Piccolo

Post by Frank Piccolo »

I get this error after trying to delete a file which was attached to an email and Mail is still running. Finder thinks Mail app is still using the file even though it's long been sent. Try quitting Mail if it's running then empty Trash.cheersSent from my iPad Pro On Jun 20, 2016, at 1:03 PM, Robert Poland rpoland@usa.net [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:   hi, I keep getting errors when I try to empty the trash. Errors like this "The operation can't be completed because the item “4726153.tmp" is in use. ". This looks like it's from GraphicConverter. GraphicConverter is currently Not RUNNING. Any comments? Robert Poland iMac, Late 2013, 14,2 3.2 GHz Intel Core I5, 27” 16 GB Ram, 1TB Fusion HD OS X 10.11.5
rpoland

Post by rpoland »

That was it, Thanks. Just another BUG in Mail. > On Jun 20, 2016, at 11:39:AM, Frank Piccolo frankp65@me.com [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: > > > > I get this error after trying to delete a file which was attached to an email and Mail is still running. Finder thinks Mail app is still using the file even though it's long been sent. Try quitting Mail if it's running then empty Trash. > cheers > > Sent from my iPad Pro > > On Jun 20, 2016, at 1:03 PM, Robert Poland rpoland@usa.net [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: > >> hi, >> >> I keep getting errors when I try to empty the trash. >> >> Errors like this "The operation can't be completed because the item “4726153.tmp" is in use. ". >> >> This looks like it's from GraphicConverter. GraphicConverter is currently Not RUNNING. >> >> Any comments? >> >> Robert Poland >> iMac, Late 2013, 14,2 >> 3.2 GHz Intel Core I5, 27” >> 16 GB Ram, 1TB Fusion HD >> OS X 10.11.5 > > > > Posted by: Frank Piccolo <frankp65@me.com> > Robert Poland Fort Collins, CO
Frank Piccolo

Post by Frank Piccolo »

A longstanding bug alas :(Glad it worked.Sent from my iPad Pro On Jun 20, 2016, at 1:45 PM, rpoland rpoland@usa.net [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:   That was it, Thanks. Just another BUG in Mail. > On Jun 20, 2016, at 11:39:AM, Frank Piccolo frankp65@me.com [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: > > > > I get this error after trying to delete a file which was attached to an email and Mail is still running. Finder thinks Mail app is still using the file even though it's long been sent. Try quitting Mail if it's running then empty Trash. > cheers > > Sent from my iPad Pro > > On Jun 20, 2016, at 1:03 PM, Robert Poland rpoland@usa.net [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: > >> hi, >> >> I keep getting errors when I try to empty the trash. >> >> Errors like this "The operation can't be completed because the item “4726153.tmp" is in use. ". >> >> This looks like it's from GraphicConverter. GraphicConverter is currently Not RUNNING. >> >> Any comments? >> >> Robert Poland >> iMac, Late 2013, 14,2 >> 3.2 GHz Intel Core I5, 27” >> 16 GB Ram, 1TB Fusion HD >> OS X 10.11.5 > > > > Posted by: Frank Piccolo <frankp65@me.com> > Robert Poland Fort Collins, CO
eligurwayne

Post by eligurwayne »

Oh that stuff is a long standing issue esp. with older machines... it and I go way back and GC is not really the fault at al.Apple best do some operational house cleaning.Why Apple STIL uses a force quit is beyond anything for example.Now the latest issue is random not reading [polling] the USB when a flash is left in.
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hi,that is an Apple issue.Do you use the current MacOS?Thorsten I get this error after trying to delete a file which was attached to an email and Mail is still running. Finder thinks Mail app is still using the file even though it's long been sent. Try quitting Mail if it's running then empty Trash.cheers
rpoland

Post by rpoland »

> On Jun 20, 2016, at 12:53:PM, Thorsten Lemke lemke@lemkesoft.de [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: > > Hi, > > that is an Apple issue. > > Do you use the current MacOS? See sig. > Thorsten > >> >> I get this error after trying to delete a file which was attached to an email and Mail is still running. Finder thinks Mail app is still using the file even though it's long been sent. Try quitting Mail if it's running then empty Trash. >> cheers > _,_.___ > Posted by: Thorsten Lemke <lemke@lemkesoft.de> Robert Poland iMac, Late 2013, 14,2 3.2 GHz Intel Core I5, 27” 16 GB Ram, 1TB Fusion HD OS X 10.11.5
G N

Post by G N »

“ … Neither I nor Spotlight have any idea where the file is. …” I thought you said it was in the Trash. That is exactly where it is. Remove the file from the trash (place it anywhere, but for me placing it on the Desktop works fine) and perform a “Get Info” command (either by right-clicking / Option-clicking and selecting “Get Info” or use the keyboard shortcut Command-I on the highlighted file). The path of the file will be displayed. Should be: / Users / [Your Username] / Desktop A restart will ALWAYS work to cut whatever ties that file has to whatever application refuses to release it. Changing users might also work: Change to Guest (if configured) then Change back to [Username] Note: If you haven’t enabled the Guest Account, then you should consider either doing so, or creating a second user on the machine; it’s quite useful for troubleshooting and if you ever phone Apple Support there’s about a 50% chance they will ask you to do so. Way easier now than when on the phone to support; in fact they may ask you to hang up, create the account, then phone back, which means many lost minutes waiting for a new support person to answer the second time.