slideshow in version 10 compared to 6

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
Talat Harb

slideshow in version 10 compared to 6

Post by Talat Harb »

Hi, in GC10 there are 15 ways to sort files for a slide show, BUT: There is none for "by path and name". So you see             folderA/pic0001.jpg .... folderN/ pic0001.jpg folderA/pic0002.jpg        which IMHO is wrong... instead of correct     folderA/pic0001.jpg folderA /pic0002.jpg .. PLEASE fix this maybe a 16th option for sort if theres a bit left :-)
thorstenlemke

Re: slideshow in version 10 compared to 6

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hi,thanksI add that to the todo list.Thorsten PLEASE fix this maybe a 16th option for sort if theres a bit left :-)
Zalman Lazkowicz

vertical lines on B/W scans

Post by Zalman Lazkowicz »

I scanned some pages from old magazines, ads. On black & white there are vertical lines, visible on a light background, like slightly darker waves.Why it happens, anybody knows ? any solution ? Thanks!, ZalI’m attaching one such image.
Carl von Einem

Re: vertical lines on B/W scans [1 Attachment]

Post by Carl von Einem »

Looks like moire to me. See <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moir%C3%A9_pattern> for a detailed explanation. Your scanner's software should have a descreen filter, see if this leads to better results. Carl Zalman Lazkowicz zlazkow@yahoo.com [gcmac] wrote on 02.07.16 14:51: > [Attachment(s) <#TopText> from Zalman Lazkowicz included below] > > I scanned some pages from old magazines, ads. On black & white there are > vertical lines, visible on a light background, like slightly darker waves. > Why it happens, anybody knows ? any solution ? Thanks!, Zal > > > I’m attaching one such image. >
Brian Mason

Re: vertical lines on B/W scans

Post by Brian Mason »

If it is moire, I found that changing the dpi scanning resolution also works to get rid of it.  After scanning, you can always change the resolution in GraphicConverter back to your preference.Brian. On Jul 2, 2016, at 10:11 AM, Carl von Einem einem@gmx.de [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Looks like moire to me. See <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moir%C3%A9_pattern> for a detailed explanation. Your scanner's software should have a descreen filter, see if this leads to better results.CarlZalman Lazkowicz zlazkow@yahoo.com [gcmac] wrote on 02.07.16 14:51:> [Attachment(s) <#TopText> from Zalman Lazkowicz included below]>> I scanned some pages from old magazines, ads. On black & white there are> vertical lines, visible on a light background, like slightly darker waves.> Why it happens, anybody knows ? any solution ? Thanks!, Zal>>> I’m attaching one such image.>
Frank H.

Post by Frank H. »

Brian,That is an interesting solution to this situation. Do you recommend increasing? Either way, how much?Frank (buttinski) : ) On Jul 2, 2016, at 7:19 AM, Brian Mason brian@wyomason.net [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:If it is moire, I found that changing the dpi scanning resolution also works to get rid of it.  After scanning, you can always change the resolution in GraphicConverter back to your preference.Brian.On Jul 2, 2016, at 10:11 AM, Carl von Einem einem@gmx.de [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Looks like moire to me. See <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moir%C3%A9_pattern> for a detailed explanation. Your scanner's software should have a descreen filter, see if this leads to better results.CarlZalman Lazkowicz zlazkow@yahoo.com [gcmac] wrote on 02.07.16 14:51:> [Attachment(s) <#TopText> from Zalman Lazkowicz included below]>> I scanned some pages from old magazines, ads. On black & white there are> vertical lines, visible on a light background, like slightly darker waves.> Why it happens, anybody knows ? any solution ? Thanks!, Zal>>> I’m attaching one such image.>
Al Treder

Post by Al Treder »

Seems like you could prove it was moire by rescanning with some rotation, which should change the separation between bands of gray. You should get the least moire effect by scanning the original exactly perpendicular to the original’s scan, so you could try rotating the scan by 90 degrees. Another way may be to photomerge a few scans taken with somewhat different rotations (maybe 20 degrees?). I haven’t tried that, but there are theoretical reasons to believe it would work.If you reduce the scanning resolution to get rid of moire, you will have lost the resolution in your product, no matter how much you increase it on the new copy. With line art you might be able to do that and then restore the original line art by using sharpening tools, but that works only with sharp edges in the original. Al“ Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep. ”-- Scott Adams On Jul 2, 2016, at 8:26 AM, 'Frank H.' netwkfh@gmail.com [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Brian,That is an interesting solution to this situation. Do you recommend increasing? Either way, how much?Frank (buttinski) : ) On Jul 2, 2016, at 7:19 AM, Brian Mason brian@wyomason.net [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:If it is moire, I found that changing the dpi scanning resolution also works to get rid of it.  After scanning, you can always change the resolution in GraphicConverter back to your preference.Brian.On Jul 2, 2016, at 10:11 AM, Carl von Einem einem@gmx.de [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Looks like moire to me. See <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moir%C3%A9_pattern> for a detailed explanation. Your scanner's software should have a descreen filter, see if this leads to better results.CarlZalman Lazkowicz zlazkow@yahoo.com [gcmac] wrote on 02.07.16 14:51:> [Attachment(s) <#TopText> from Zalman Lazkowicz included below]>> I scanned some pages from old magazines, ads. On black & white there are> vertical lines, visible on a light background, like slightly darker waves.> Why it happens, anybody knows ? any solution ? Thanks!, Zal>>> I’m attaching one such image.>
Brian Mason

Post by Brian Mason »

I increased the resolution.  I was scanning at 300 dpi and changed to 600 dpi and that got rid of the problem for me.Brian. On Jul 2, 2016, at 11:26 AM, 'Frank H.' netwkfh@gmail.com [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Brian,That is an interesting solution to this situation. Do you recommend increasing? Either way, how much?Frank (buttinski) : )On Jul 2, 2016, at 7:19 AM, Brian Mason brian@wyomason.net [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:If it is moire, I found that changing the dpi scanning resolution also works to get rid of it.  After scanning, you can always change the resolution in GraphicConverter back to your preference.Brian.On Jul 2, 2016, at 10:11 AM, Carl von Einem einem@gmx.de [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Looks like moire to me. See <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moir%C3%A9_pattern> for a detailed explanation. Your scanner's software should have a descreen filter, see if this leads to better results.CarlZalman Lazkowicz zlazkow@yahoo.com [gcmac] wrote on 02.07.16 14:51:> [Attachment(s) <#TopText> from Zalman Lazkowicz included below]>> I scanned some pages from old magazines, ads. On black & white there are> vertical lines, visible on a light background, like slightly darker waves.> Why it happens, anybody knows ? any solution ? Thanks!, Zal>>> I’m attaching one such image.>
Mike Bauers

Post by Mike Bauers »

Strangely enough, on this MacMini, there were -NO- lines in your attachment.in my case, Panasonic TV setting, 60-Hz, 1080pMy living room TV set-up….. [I dropped cable-TV some years ago and this flatscreen is computer-Roadrunner only.] Best to ya,Mike BauersMilwaukee, Wi On Jul 2, 2016, at 2:58 PM, Brian Mason brian@wyomason.net [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: I increased the resolution.  I was scanning at 300 dpi and changed to 600 dpi and that got rid of the problem for me.Brian.On Jul 2, 2016, at 11:26 AM, 'Frank H.' netwkfh@gmail.com [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Brian,That is an interesting solution to this situation. Do you recommend increasing? Either way, how much?Frank (buttinski) : )On Jul 2, 2016, at 7:19 AM, Brian Mason brian@wyomason.net [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:If it is moire, I found that changing the dpi scanning resolution also works to get rid of it.  After scanning, you can always change the resolution in GraphicConverter back to your preference.Brian.On Jul 2, 2016, at 10:11 AM, Carl von Einem einem@gmx.de [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Looks like moire to me. See <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moir%C3%A9_pattern> for a detailed explanation. Your scanner's software should have a descreen filter, see if this leads to better results.CarlZalman Lazkowicz zlazkow@yahoo.com [gcmac] wrote on 02.07.16 14:51:> [Attachment(s) <#TopText> from Zalman Lazkowicz included below]>> I scanned some pages from old magazines, ads. On black & white there are> vertical lines, visible on a light background, like slightly darker waves.> Why it happens, anybody knows ? any solution ? Thanks!, Zal>>> I’m attaching one such image.
Zalman Lazkowicz

Post by Zalman Lazkowicz »

Thank you very much for your replies people!I was scanning old pieces of advertisements, colour and B/W. All at 300 dpi. But without Descreening, because I had no idea what it does.At your suggestion I tried descreening for magazines and for fine print. Fine print worked the best.But I also tried 600 dpi, 400 dpi, thousands of grays - no significant change.So, 300 dpi or 600 dpi with Fine Print descreening is the best option. Although the difference between Magazine print and fine print is almost invisible.Thanks so much for your help! On 3 Jul 2016, at 5:47 AM, Mike Bauers mwbauers55@wi.rr.com [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Strangely enough, on this MacMini, there were -NO- lines in your attachment.in my case, Panasonic TV setting, 60-Hz, 1080pMy living room TV set-up….. [I dropped cable-TV some years ago and this flatscreen is computer-Roadrunner only.]Best to ya,Mike BauersMilwaukee, WiOn Jul 2, 2016, at 2:58 PM, Brian Mason brian@wyomason.net [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:I increased the resolution.  I was scanning at 300 dpi and changed to 600 dpi and that got rid of the problem for me.Brian.On Jul 2, 2016, at 11:26 AM, 'Frank H.' netwkfh@gmail.com [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Brian,That is an interesting solution to this situation. Do you recommend increasing? Either way, how much?Frank (buttinski) : )On Jul 2, 2016, at 7:19 AM, Brian Mason brian@wyomason.net [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:If it is moire, I found that changing the dpi scanning resolution also works to get rid of it.  After scanning, you can always change the resolution in GraphicConverter back to your preference.Brian.On Jul 2, 2016, at 10:11 AM, Carl von Einem einem@gmx.de [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Looks like moire to me. See <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moir%C3%A9_pattern> for a detailed explanation. Your scanner's software should have a descreen filter, see if this leads to better results.CarlZalman Lazkowicz zlazkow@yahoo.com [gcmac] wrote on 02.07.16 14:51:> [Attachment(s) <#TopText> from Zalman Lazkowicz included below]>> I scanned some pages from old magazines, ads. On black & white there are> vertical lines, visible on a light background, like slightly darker waves.> Why it happens, anybody knows ? any solution ? Thanks!, Zal>>> I’m attaching one such image.