Multi-page pdf files getting "eaten", Preview opens them as blank pa

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
stvhighland

Multi-page pdf files getting "eaten", Preview opens them as blank pa

Post by stvhighland »

I'm a now-and-then user of Graphic Converter.  Up until two weeks ago I never had any issues.  Now I've been editing multi-page pdf files ( musical scores downloaded from IMSLP) and in the middle of work suddenly the pages go blank.The file looks OK in GC, then I save it as a pdf.  When I open it in Preview maybe the first couple of pages are there but the rest are empty when I scroll down.  When I scroll back to the top, the pages that were there at first are gone now.  I try opening other pdfs in Preview and they are blank, too (but still multi-page).I was using a trial version of GC 9 when this started to happen.  I downloaded version 10 and it opened a bunch of blank pages until I switched from the Quartz to the dynapdf importer.  Then it worked.  I was able to print to a pdf file that Preview could see ... no, wait -- now that's not working again.Graphic Converter seems to open everything but Preview goes nuts.  Did Preview get corrupted somehow?  Or are the files I'm creating in GC screwing it up in some strange way.  I am scratching my head.I discovered that I can open the pdf files in a Chrome browser window and some of the pages are there but most are blank.I'm usingiMac Processor  2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 Memory  4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 Graphics  AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB Software  OS X 10.9.5 (13F1911)Steve lost in Duluth
thorstenlemke

Re: Multi-page pdf files getting "eaten", Preview opens them as blan

Post by thorstenlemke »

Attachments :Hi,do you use the normal or the Mac App Store version?Which compression did you select in the save as options?Thorsten . 
stvhighland

Post by stvhighland »

I assume I'm using the "normal" version I directly downloaded from your server.  It says version 10.1.0 (2589).I tried both the ZIP and the JPEG compression filters.There is something really wrong with Preview.  Now it opens every single pdf file I try as blank, even ones that had nothing at all to do with Graphic Converter.Very confusing.Steve
stvhighland

Post by stvhighland »

I did a little more tinkering.  When I open one of the 'bad' pdfs I saved from Graphic Converter in Preview, then every pdf file I try to open after that in Preview is blank.  I can get Preview to work again if I quit it and launch it again.  Then it works right until I open one of those 'bad' pdfs again.Strange.
stvhighland

Post by stvhighland »

I tried another experiment.  I emailed the 'bad' pdf file to myself and downloaded it on another Mac I have in the bedroom.  On that computer there are no missing pages when I open it and Preview works fine.On this computer there are missing pages and screwy things going on in Preview and in Chrome.  It's starting to look like something happened to my machine.  I wonder how to track that down ...Steve