Help with Function Keys

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
Edward Gould

Help with Function Keys

Post by Edward Gould »

I had ask Thorsten for an answer but I know he is busy so I thought I would as the group as I seem to have lost functionality. I thought I had run across this but am just lost with the thousands of options in a great Product. I am looking for how to define in slide show what to do when say PF1 is pressed. I have looked through the fine manual but I must be dense as I can;t find it. Thorsten gave me a solution but I just can’t find it, either in the manual or searching through all the options for slide show. GC is a great program but (to me) has gotten so complex over the years and unless you are used to finding things item that are easy to find for some are not so easy for others(like me). Can someone give a step by step way too define the function keys and where in TFM that it discusses how to fill in actual panel i.e. move vol\red\ Thanks, Ed
Hans Rijnbout

Re: Help with Function Keys

Post by Hans Rijnbout »

On 18 aug. 2016, at 07:14, Edward Gould edgould1948@comcast.net [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: Can someone give a step by step way too define the function keys and where in TFM that it discusses how to fill in actual panel i.e. move vol\red\Defining shortcuts for applications is a system function. You find it in System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > App Shortcuts, click "+" to define a new shortcut. --Hans RijnboutUtrecht, Netherlands
Edward Gould

Post by Edward Gould »

On Aug 18, 2016, at 11:25 AM, Hans Rijnbout jrijnb@xs4all.nl [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:On 18 aug. 2016, at 07:14, Edward Gould edgould1948@comcast.net [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Can someone give a step by step way too define the function keys and where in TFM that it discusses how to fill in actual panel i.e. move vol\red\Defining shortcuts for applications is a system function. You find it in System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > App Shortcuts, click "+" to define a new shortcut.-This is where I get lost: After system preferences there is no keyboard to go to. The only thing I see is:Clipboard,display content display windows selection edit external editors etc etc IOW no keyboard.I must be missing something.Ed
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Dear Ed,I attached a screenshot.System Preferences/Keyboard/ShotcutsThorsten This is where I get lost: After system preferences there is no keyboard to go to. The only thing I see is:Clipboard,display content display windows selection edit external editors etc etc IOW no keyboard.I must be missing something.Ed
William H. Magill

Post by William H. Magill »

You are looking at the wrong “Preferences” — Click on the Apple logo in the top left of the screen — THAT “System Preferences” Keyboard is in the second row of icons. > On Aug 20, 2016, at 1:41 AM, Edward Gould edgould1948@comcast.net [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: > > This is where I get lost: After system preferences there is no keyboard to go to. The only thing I see is:Clipboard,display content display windows selection edit external editors etc etc IOW no keyboard. > I must be missing something. T.T.F.N. William H. Magill # iMac11,3 Core i7 [2.93GHz - 8 GB 1067MHz] OS X 10.11 # Macmini6,1 Intel Core i5 [2.5 Ghz - 4GB 1600MHz] OS X 10.11 magill@icloud.com magill@mac.com whmagill@gmail.com
Edward Gould

Post by Edward Gould »

On Aug 20, 2016, at 12:41 AM, Edward Gould edgould1948@comcast.net [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:On Aug 18, 2016, at 11:25 AM, Hans Rijnbout jrijnb@xs4all.nl [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:On 18 aug. 2016, at 07:14, Edward Gould edgould1948@comcast.net [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Can someone give a step by step way too define the function keys and where in TFM that it discusses how to fill in actual panel i.e. move vol\red\Defining shortcuts for applications is a system function. You find it in System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > App Shortcuts, click "+" to define a new shortcut.-This is where I get lost: After system preferences there is no keyboard to go to. The only thing I see is:Clipboard,display content display windows selection edit external editors etc etc IOW no keyboard.I must be missing something.EdI ordered the keyboard that Randy Suggested and I am still not getting the Functions key any idea?Ed
Edward Gould

Post by Edward Gould »

OK, thanks got the function keys into GC. I quit GC and started it up again. the function keys still do not work. I looked at the system preferences for keyboard and they do not show the function keys does that mean it will not pass the pressing of the function keys to GC? If not how do I get the system to recognize the function keys on my keyboard? I have gone through set up on the system preferences and when it displays the keyboard it does not show the function keys, does this mean the system doesn’t recognize the real keyboard or is this real a function of GC? Ed
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Dear Ed,I just tried it here on 10.11.6. Works perfectly.Did you install GraphicConverter into the applications folder? Did you enter the menu command exactly as written in the menu?Thorsten OK, thanks got the function keys into GC.I quit GC and started it up again.the function keys still do not work.I looked at the system preferences for keyboard and they do not show the function keys does that mean it will not pass the pressing of the function keys to GC?If not how do I get the system to recognize the function keys on my keyboard?I have gone through set up on the system preferences and when it displays the keyboard it does not show the function keys, does this mean the system doesn’t recognize the real keyboard or is this real a function of GC?
Edward Gould

Re: Help with Function Keys [2 Attachments]

Post by Edward Gould »

On Sep 17, 2016, at 3:52 AM, Thorsten Lemke lemke@lemkesoft.de [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:[Attachment(s) from Thorsten Lemke included below] Dear Ed,I just tried it here on 10.11.6. Works perfectly.Did you install GraphicConverter into the applications folder? Did you enter the menu command exactly as written in the menu?ThorstenThorsten. It was installed via software Apple purchase, so wherever “it” put it that is where I left it.I followed your instructions to the letter.Not sure if this is a Apple issue or a hardware to be honest.Ed<Screen Shot 2016-09-17 at 10.50.36.png><Screen Shot 2016-09-17 at 10.51.01.png>OK, thanks got the function keys into GC.I quit GC and started it up again.the function keys still do not work.I looked at the system preferences for keyboard and they do not show the function keys does that mean it will not pass the pressing of the function keys to GC?If not how do I get the system to recognize the function keys on my keyboard?I have gone through set up on the system preferences and when it displays the keyboard it does not show the function keys, does this mean the system doesn’t recognize the real keyboard or is this real a function of GC?
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Dear Ed,that works the same way for the shortcuts.Please e-mail a screenshot of your settings under shortcuts.Thorsten Thorsten. It was installed via software Apple purchase, so wherever “it” put it that is where I left it.I followed your instructions to the letter.Not sure if this is a Apple issue or a hardware to be honest.Ed