Combine CinemaDNG files into a Video?

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
ewej2revzmzro4qckxxov757crrsstlrcjg2jfzq

Combine CinemaDNG files into a Video?

Post by ewej2revzmzro4qckxxov757crrsstlrcjg2jfzq »

I have just finished shooting a feature film using Blackmagic Cinema Cameras that created 24 RAW CinemaDNG files for each second of footage, which means I have a lot of files (5 TB worth) to convert into videos for viewing. Eventually, I will put the usable takes into Premiere Pro but to get a view of the shot, I need a way to quickly and easily combine the individual frames into a video (the video format doesn't matter). Each take is in its own folder. The folder is a group of consecutively numbered DNGs (I don't know if CinemaDNG is the same as DNG).Is there a way to create a batch droplet or macro in GC where I can just drop a folder in and have it kick out a video (essentially in just 1 or 2 steps)?I will add here that each folder also has one audio WAV file that is the audio from the camera that would be ideal to include with the video file but that's secondary to just having a video created from the individual files.I can provide a sample of frames if you want to create a test.Thanks...Rowan
thorstenlemke

Re: Combine CinemaDNG files into a Video?

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hi,just use convert&modify in GraphicConverter.Select the source files at the left.Select an empty destination folder at the right.Select Movie as format.Start the selected function.You will be asked for the frame rate and the movie will be created.Thorsten Is there a way to create a batch droplet or macro in GC where I can just drop a folder in and have it kick out a video (essentially in just 1 or 2 steps)?

Is there a way to automate that process? What I need is something (app, AppleScript) where I can...Drop a folder of images and out pops the video?Also,Is there a way to get the audio file that's in the folder added to the video?
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello,1) you can write an AppleScript for this or use auto convert.2) is not supported, yet.Thorsten Is there a way to automate that process? What I need is something (app, AppleScript) where I can...Drop a folder of images and out pops the video?Also,Is there a way to get the audio file that's in the folder added to the video?

Attachments :Screen Shot 2016-09-07 at 4.07.54 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-09-07 at 4.07.31 PM.pngWell, I don't really know how to write an AS for this so that's a dead end.I tried Auto Convert and that produced an epic disaster, specifically:GC would crash, over and over again. When I "reopened" from Apple's crash reporter. GC's crash reporter would come up, then another dialog asking to rename the output file, and no matter how I answered that dialog box (rename, skip, anything), the app would crash without letting me click on GC's own crash reporter. This would happen over and over again until I used App Delete to delete all associated files and clean install GC.Once I did a new clean install, that still didn't clear out the old name from the previous time (so, no idea where it was getting the name from) then give me a dialog box to rename the file because (for some mysterious reason) it was trying to overwrite the file because it seemed to remember it from previous times, even though it was a new folder.GC would then try to overwrite the file, even though it was new (in a different folder), so there seems to be multiple bugs associated with combining files from DNGs to a video. (First time, it works well, then it seems to "remember" things like the file name.)If I try to change from specifying the frame size and FPS back to the original source it won't do it and will still act as if I've specified my own frame and FPS.I saved the crash reports for this but don't know what to do with them.
thorstenlemke

Re: Combine CinemaDNG files into a Video? [2 Attachments]

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hi,please e-mail a link to some sample source files.So, I can check it here myself.Thorsten Well, I don't really know how to write an AS for this so that's a dead end.

Re: Combine CinemaDNG files into a Video? [2 Attachments]

The source files (dngs) aren't the issue with the crashing. The problem is the Auto Convert function when the source and destination are the same. (That, and GC will not take the frame size automatically but will force a smaller frame and guess at the FPS to be 12, which also seems like a bug.) Sorry, I can't put up the source files. If you want the crash logs, I'll save them for another couple of days but I have 5 TB of footage to deal with and just don't have the time to sort through crashes. FWIW, GC can create the video in multiple subfolders (which is why I know the DNG files are not the issue) but without being able to automate and no capability to combine the audio file from the camera, I might as well just put them on a timeline and send them to Adobe Media Encoder watch folder.Thanks anyway.
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Attachments :Hello,source and destination must be different.Thorsten The source files (dngs) aren't the issue with the crashing. The problem is the Auto Convert function when the source and destination are the same. (That, and GC will not take the frame size automatically but will force a smaller frame and guess at the FPS to be 12, which also seems like a bug.) Sorry, I can't put up the source files. If you want the crash logs, I'll save them for another couple of days but I have 5 TB of footage to deal with and just don't have the time to sort through crashes. FWIW, GC can create the video in multiple subfolders (which is why I know the DNG files are not the issue) but without being able to automate and no capability to combine the audio file from the camera, I might as well just put them on a timeline and send them to Adobe Media Encoder watch folder.