GC9 cannot render SVG files with fractional millimeter lengths corre

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
timur_tabi

GC9 cannot render SVG files with fractional millimeter lengths corre

Post by timur_tabi »

Attachments :tray_bottom.svgtray_back.svgScreen Shot 2016-09-25 at 5.05.28 PM.pngI have a a program that generates SVG files, with lengths measured in millimeters.  You can specify non-whole numbers, like 3.1mm. It appears that GC9 has problem rendering these images if non-whole numbers are used, although it also has problems when whole numbers are used.  The same SVGs are rendered correctly in Firefox.  Gapplin, a Mac SVG user, seems to have the same bugs as GC9.I've attached two SVG files, tray_back.svg and tray_bottom.svg.  These are two parts that are supposed to align.  That is, the notches in the images are supposed to match up.  When viewed in GC9, they are misaligned.The ruler is also incorrect.  I've attached a screen shot that shows the problem.
thorstenlemke

Re: GC9 cannot render SVG files with fractional millimeter lengths c

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello,both SVGs displays here only a white box in Safari, Firefox…Thorsten I have a a program that generates SVG files, with lengths measured in millimeters.  You can specify non-whole numbers, like 3.1mm. It appears that GC9 has problem rendering these images if non-whole numbers are used, although it also has problems when whole numbers are used.  The same SVGs are rendered correctly in Firefox.  Gapplin, a Mac SVG user, seems to have the same bugs as GC9.I've attached two SVG files, tray_back.svg and tray_bottom.svg.  These are two parts that are supposed to align.  That is, the notches in the images are supposed to match up.  When viewed in GC9, they are misaligned.
timur_tabi

Post by timur_tabi »

Look carefully.  The red lines are of hairline thickness, so they're very hard to see.
timur_tabi

Post by timur_tabi »

Attachments :tray_bottom-20295.svgtray_back-20295.svgHere's another version of the SVGs with thicker lines that are easier to see.
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello,SVG is rendered into a PDF and than into a bitmap upon import.So, what is exactly not working?Thorsten [Attachment(s) from timur@tabi.org [gcmac] included below]Here's another version of the SVGs with thicker lines that are easier to see.Attachment(s) from timur@tabi.org [gcmac] : View attachments on the web 
timur_tabi

Post by timur_tabi »

Attachments :Screen Shot 2016-09-26 at 10.25.46 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-09-26 at 10.23.07 AM.pngHere's how it looks on my screen, using the GC10 demo.  You can see that tray_back.svg is not flush-left, and the ruler is misaligned and off-scale.  tray_bottom.svg is flush-left, but it's still not aligned to tray_back.svg and the ruler is not to scale.  The SVGs are 196mm wide, not 270mm.I'm using OS X 10.9.5, if that matters.
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hi,the rulers depends on the import resolution setting.SVG is a vector format.GraphicConverter is a pixel app. So, the image has to be rasterized.Thorsten Here's how it looks on my screen, using the GC10 demo.  You can see that tray_back.svg is not flush-left, and the ruler is misaligned and off-scale.  tray_bottom.svg is flush-left, but it's still not aligned to tray_back.svg and the ruler is not to scale.  The SVGs are 196mm wide, not 270mm.
timur_tabi

Post by timur_tabi »

But the SVG says that lengths are measured in millimeters:      height="19mm" width="196mm"No matter what value I set for the resolution during import, the rule looks the same.  I don't see any relationship between the resolution and the ruler.also, that doesn't explain why tray_back.svg is offset and scaled differently from tray_bottom.svg.It seems obvious that the rasterization is broken on my system.  Can you try it on a 10.9.x system?  Maybe this is a bug in the rasterizer that was fixed in 10.10?
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hi,the SVG import is done by a webkit webview. Which is rendered into a PDF and rasterized.So, that information may get lost.Thorsten But the SVG says that lengths are measured in millimeters:      height="19mm" width="196mm"No matter what value I set for the resolution during import, the rule looks the same.  I don't see any relationship between the resolution and the ruler.also, that doesn't explain why tray_back.svg is offset and scaled differently from tray_bottom.svg.It seems obvious that the rasterization is broken on my system.  Can you try it on a 10.9.x system?  Maybe this is a bug in the rasterizer that was fixed in 10.10?
timur_tabi

Post by timur_tabi »

Webkit is the browser back-end for Safari, and Safari is able to load and render the SVGs correctly.Anyway, it sounds to me like SVG import is possibly broken in GC10 on OS X 10.9.x, and there's nothing I can do about it.