How Large is GC 10

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
pripley1

How Large is GC 10

Post by pripley1 »

I’m curious about how large GC 10 is.When I open GC 10, it takes about 20 seconds for the dialog box to open.I can open Microsoft Word in 10 seconds.Just how large is this thing?
thorstenlemke

Re: How Large is GC 10

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hi,GC10 is decompressed around 170MB.So, maybe your prefs are corrupt.Just try to trash them with the GraphicConverter First Aid tool.What happens now?Thorsten I’m curious about how large GC 10 is.When I open GC 10, it takes about 20 seconds for the dialog box to open.I can open Microsoft Word in 10 seconds.Just how large is this thing?
William H. Magill

Post by William H. Magill »

“Size” is not necessarily the parameter you need to be looking at when comparing load times across various programs; or the only one. "All other things being equal” it might be a reasonable metric, but all other things are not necessarily equal. Some examples: Factor 1 — how long does it take to read a specific file from disk storage into RAM? If both are equal in size and that size is equal to or less than the size of a single disk track, then both should transfer on a single “read” - completely independent of disk cacheing. However, as soon as the size exceeds a single track, then disc read activity becomes an issue. Factor 2 - Where did the programmer code the “start” point? If the program waits until all of its possible options have been loaded, then it may take longer to load than a program which simply loads an index of possible options, and then asks, what to do next. Factor 3 - is the program load looking for certain types of files to show you that you might want to open? That process might be hard-coded, based on a cache, or it might build that list in real time. Factor 4 - The operating system itself. How does it cache “stuff?” Modern Operating Systems do a lot of guessing about what it is that you want to do next. It builds caches of things you did recently in expectation that you might want to do them again. Factor 5 - What language and COMPILER are the programs written in. Code optimizations generated by different language compilers do differ. And, how is the program itself optimized? Is it optimized to load fast, but take its own sweet time to access features down the road? Does the program offer you many options or a few? Are those options simple or complex? Those are just a couple of factors which happen to come to mind. There is a lot of Computer Science “under the hood” which is not visible to the naked eye. > On Oct 1, 2016, at 5:48 PM, psripley@cox.net [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: > I’m curious about how large GC 10 is. > > When I open GC 10, it takes about 20 seconds for the dialog box to open. > > I can open Microsoft Word in 10 seconds. > > Just how large is this thing? T.T.F.N. William H. Magill # iMac11,3 Core i7 [2.93GHz - 8 GB 1067MHz] OS X 10.12 # Macmini6,1 Intel Core i5 [2.5 Ghz - 4GB 1600MHz] OS X 10.12 magill@icloud.com magill@mac.com whmagill@gmail.com
Chris Barker

Post by Chris Barker »

Wow!  Word takes up to a minute to open on my iMac;  GC is ultra-speedy for me.Chris On 2 Oct 16, at 08:11, Thorsten Lemke lemke@lemkesoft.de [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Hi,GC10 is decompressed around 170MB.So, maybe your prefs are corrupt.Just try to trash them with the GraphicConverter First Aid tool.What happens now?ThorstenI’m curious about how large GC 10 is.When I open GC 10, it takes about 20 seconds for the dialog box to open.I can open Microsoft Word in 10 seconds.Just how large is this thing?