new scanner

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
Jack Dinan

new scanner

Post by Jack Dinan »

When I select Scan with Image Capture, the list of devices does not show the HP scanner that I recently added. How do I add this new device to my list?
thorstenlemke

Re: new scanner

Post by thorstenlemke »

Dear Jack,this dialog is managed by the macOS.It depends on your scanner driver.Maybe your scanner supports only TWAIN? Does it appear under the TWAIN part?Thorsten When I select Scan with Image Capture, the list of devices does not show the HP scanner that I recently added.How do I add this new device to my list?
Jack Dinan

Post by Jack Dinan »

Many thanks. It does not. Only this. On Oct 15, 2016, at 9:17 AM, Thorsten Lemke lemke@lemkesoft.de [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Dear Jack,this dialog is managed by the macOS.It depends on your scanner driver.Maybe your scanner supports only TWAIN? Does it appear under the TWAIN part?ThorstenWhen I select Scan with Image Capture, the list of devices does not show the HP scanner that I recently added.How do I add this new device to my list?
thorstenlemke

Re: new scanner [1 Attachment]

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello,is he scanner macOS compatible? Or does it maybe provide its own scan software?Thorsten [Attachment(s) from Jack Dinan included below]Many thanks. It does not. Only this.<Screen Shot 2016-10-15 at 10.07.03 AM.png>
Jack Dinan

Post by Jack Dinan »

Thorsten: I can print to the printer/scanner.The device appears in System Preferences / Printers and Scanners under the Scanner heading.But I will have to delve deeper into the manual to answer your questions.Thank you for now. On Oct 15, 2016, at 10:13 AM, Thorsten Lemke lemke@lemkesoft.de [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Hello,is he scanner macOS compatible? Or does it maybe provide its own scan software?Thorsten[Attachment(s) from Jack Dinan included below]Many thanks. It does not. Only this.<Screen Shot 2016-10-15 at 10.07.03 AM.png>
John Hill

Post by John Hill »

If your scanner is TWAIN compatible (as appears to be the case) you should be able to select it in GC under File/Scan/Scan with TWAIN. Or if you have more than one scanner, select the one you want in File/Scan/Select TWAIN Scanner.I have had a lot of bother with TWAIN, but (touch wood) it is working fine in El Cap. I can’t speak for Sierra; my iMac is too old to install it.John. On 15 Oct 2016, at 15:36, Jack Dinan jdinan@cox.net [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Thorsten: I can print to the printer/scanner.The device appears in System Preferences / Printers and Scanners under the Scanner heading.But I will have to delve deeper into the manual to answer your questions.Thank you for now.On Oct 15, 2016, at 10:13 AM, Thorsten Lemke lemke@lemkesoft.de [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Hello,is he scanner macOS compatible? Or does it maybe provide its own scan software?Thorsten[Attachment(s) from Jack Dinan included below]Many thanks. It does not. Only this.<Screen Shot 2016-10-15 at 10.07.03 AM.png>
Jack Dinan

Post by Jack Dinan »

Thank you for this tip, but my HP 8720 does not show up in File/Scan/Scan with TWAIN.Also, from an HP website:Twain-compliant interface (Windows only)So it looks as though I am out of luck in Yosemite. On Oct 16, 2016, at 6:26 AM, John Hill john@yclept.wanadoo.co.uk [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:If your scanner is TWAIN compatible (as appears to be the case) you should be able to select it in GC under File/Scan/Scan with TWAIN. Or if you have more than one scanner, select the one you want in File/Scan/Select TWAIN Scanner.I have had a lot of bother with TWAIN, but (touch wood) it is working fine in El Cap. I can’t speak for Sierra; my iMac is too old to install it.John.On 15 Oct 2016, at 15:36, Jack Dinan jdinan@cox.net [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Thorsten: I can print to the printer/scanner.The device appears in System Preferences / Printers and Scanners under the Scanner heading.But I will have to delve deeper into the manual to answer your questions.Thank you for now.On Oct 15, 2016, at 10:13 AM, Thorsten Lemke lemke@lemkesoft.de [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Hello,is he scanner macOS compatible? Or does it maybe provide its own scan software?Thorsten[Attachment(s) from Jack Dinan included below]Many thanks. It does not. Only this.<Screen Shot 2016-10-15 at 10.07.03 AM.png>
John Hill

Post by John Hill »

Aha! It was with Yosemite that I had real TWAiN problems.It was OK with Mavericks and is with El Cap. But I had to stop Image Capture Extension to get it to work in Yos. Of course, this broke Image Capture.You would have to refer “Windows only TWAIN compliance” to Thorsten (who is pretty fed up with TWAIN), for I cannot see why it should work with one OS and not another.I wish you well :-)John. On 17 Oct 2016, at 04:24, Jack Dinan jdinan@cox.net [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Thank you for this tip, but my HP 8720 does not show up in File/Scan/Scan with TWAIN.Also, from an HP website:Twain-compliant interface (Windows only)So it looks as though I am out of luck in Yosemite.On Oct 16, 2016, at 6:26 AM, John Hill john@yclept.wanadoo.co.uk [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:If your scanner is TWAIN compatible (as appears to be the case) you should be able to select it in GC under File/Scan/Scan with TWAIN. Or if you have more than one scanner, select the one you want in File/Scan/Select TWAIN Scanner.I have had a lot of bother with TWAIN, but (touch wood) it is working fine in El Cap. I can’t speak for Sierra; my iMac is too old to install it.John.On 15 Oct 2016, at 15:36, Jack Dinan jdinan@cox.net [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Thorsten: I can print to the printer/scanner.The device appears in System Preferences / Printers and Scanners under the Scanner heading.But I will have to delve deeper into the manual to answer your questions.Thank you for now.On Oct 15, 2016, at 10:13 AM, Thorsten Lemke lemke@lemkesoft.de [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Hello,is he scanner macOS compatible? Or does it maybe provide its own scan software?Thorsten[Attachment(s) from Jack Dinan included below]Many thanks. It does not. Only this.<Screen Shot 2016-10-15 at 10.07.03 AM.png>