Can GC crop a multi-page pdf?

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
stvhighland
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:10 pm

Can GC crop a multi-page pdf?

Post by stvhighland » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:27 pm

I am building a 16-page concert program using Google Docs.  I could not find a way to set it up with the intended page size of 8.5 by 14 inches, folded as a booklet, so I faked it by making landscape-oriented 8.5 by 11 inch pages with page margins to get it down to what would fit on a 8.5 by 7 inch page.Now I need to find a way to trim off that extra 4 inches of white space to make things the right size to print as booklets on a copier.Can Graphic Converter do this for me?  The people at the print shop seem to think they can do it, but if I can do it myself I will worry a bit less.Thanks.Steve in Duluth, MN

Robert Ameeti
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:46 pm

Re: Can GC crop a multi-page pdf?

Post by Robert Ameeti » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:09 am

You can manually do this by using the Picture/Size menu item. You will have to do it 16 times but it will go pretty quickly. Use the page selectors in the lower right corner of the window to move to each page. Robert Ameeti(949) 422-6866 On Oct 15, 2016, at 1:27 PM, shighlan@charter.net [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:I am building a 16-page concert program using Google Docs.  I could not find a way to set it up with the intended page size of 8.5 by 14 inches, folded as a booklet, so I faked it by making landscape-oriented 8.5 by 11 inch pages with page margins to get it down to what would fit on a 8.5 by 7 inch page.Now I need to find a way to trim off that extra 4 inches of white space to make things the right size to print as booklets on a copier.Can Graphic Converter do this for me?  The people at the print shop seem to think they can do it, but if I can do it myself I will worry a bit less.Thanks.Steve in Duluth, MN

stvhighland
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:10 pm

Re: Can GC crop a multi-page pdf?

Post by stvhighland » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:10 pm

Thanks for the tip.  I did it, and the pages are now the right size, but several of them have now been corrupted into very "bitty" text images.  It's like a font substitution gone awry. And the file size went from 3Mb to over 15 Mb.I don't see what went wrong.  Some of the pages are perfect, others are wrecked, and there's no obvious difference to me in the original content. I was using Cambria font for the text.Sigh,Steve

Robert Ameeti
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:46 pm

Re: Can GC crop a multi-page pdf?

Post by Robert Ameeti » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:45 pm

Sorry but I'd have to see the document to recognize the differences that are causing the grief. They are there. I'm guessing resolution of the pages when created or scanned.If you'd like, you can send it to me and I'll take a look. Robert@Ameeti.net Robert Ameeti On Oct 16, 2016, at 7:10 AM, shighlan@charter.net [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Thanks for the tip.  I did it, and the pages are now the right size, but several of them have now been corrupted into very "bitty" text images.  It's like a font substitution gone awry. And the file size went from 3Mb to over 15 Mb.I don't see what went wrong.  Some of the pages are perfect, others are wrecked, and there's no obvious difference to me in the original content. I was using Cambria font for the text.Sigh,Steve

stvhighland
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:10 pm

Re: Can GC crop a multi-page pdf?

Post by stvhighland » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:48 pm

I figured it out.  When I open the pdf in GC, the various pages open in wildly different zoom settings for some reason.  I have to manually set them each to "view at maximum size" before cropping or the text resolution gets ruined.So I got around it.  But I am really puzzled why the view resolution would have anything at all to do with how it works.Thanks,Steve

Robert Ameeti
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:46 pm

Re: Can GC crop a multi-page pdf?

Post by Robert Ameeti » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:05 pm

The 'wildly different zoom settings' would seem to fall in line with the theory of different resolutions for each page when they were created. Robert Ameeti On Oct 16, 2016, at 7:48 AM, shighlan@charter.net [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:I figured it out.  When I open the pdf in GC, the various pages open in wildly different zoom settings for some reason.  I have to manually set them each to "view at maximum size" before cropping or the text resolution gets ruined.So I got around it.  But I am really puzzled why the view resolution would have anything at all to do with how it works.Thanks,Steve

stvhighland
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:10 pm

Re: Can GC crop a multi-page pdf?

Post by stvhighland » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:47 am

I'm back to things not working again, sigh.Maybe I'm doing your instructions wrongly.  All I could figure out was to use the Add/Remove Margins and take away a minus 4 inches on the right side.  This makes the file go from 3 Mb to 12 Mb, but the resolution seems to get worse.  Even the "good" pages look fuzzy to me.  And it's different-looking in the Chrome browser window than it is opening it in Preview on my Mac.I would send you the file, but your email address seemed incomplete.  (?)Maybe me computer is fouled up somehow.Thanks for the help.Steve

Robert Ameeti
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:46 pm

Re: Can GC crop a multi-page pdf?

Post by Robert Ameeti » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:55 am

Robert@Ameeti.net Robert Ameeti On Oct 16, 2016, at 8:47 PM, shighlan@charter.net [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:I'm back to things not working again, sigh.Maybe I'm doing your instructions wrongly.  All I could figure out was to use the Add/Remove Margins and take away a minus 4 inches on the right side.  This makes the file go from 3 Mb to 12 Mb, but the resolution seems to get worse.  Even the "good" pages look fuzzy to me.  And it's different-looking in the Chrome browser window than it is opening it in Preview on my Mac.I would send you the file, but your email address seemed incomplete.  (?)Maybe me computer is fouled up somehow.Thanks for the help.Steve

stvhighland
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:10 pm

Re: Can GC crop a multi-page pdf?

Post by stvhighland » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:09 am

Maybe I finally have the answer to my problems.  I had checked the "override resolution if images ..." setting, and that messed things up.When I left that unchecked I got a much cleaner and smaller final document of only 6 Mb.Uugh.Steve

Zalman Lazkowicz
Posts: 0
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:12 pm

Reinstalled Sierra

Post by Zalman Lazkowicz » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:46 pm

I erased my hard drive and reinstalled Sierra. I need to install GC now. Where do I go for the link ? Thank, Zal

Post Reply