file name changed

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
thorstenlemke

Re: file name changed

Post by thorstenlemke »

Dear Zal,maybe.A Photos extension get from the Photos app just a filename and path of the image for editing.That is normally a hidden temporary name - because a normal extension just loads the file for editing (and do not display the name).Thorsten so Apple did that in order to discourage editing in external editors ?On 8 Dec 2016, at 9:04, Zalman Lazkowicz zlazkow@yahoo.com [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Thanks Thorsten,the attachments are zero kb, and I can’t open them. No saving, no quick look.> On 8 Dec 2016, at 8:48, Thorsten Lemke lemke@lemkesoft.de [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:> > <Screen Shot 2016-12-08 at 07.47.05.png>
Zalman Lazkowicz

Post by Zalman Lazkowicz »

yes, maybe..I was considering switching to another photo management solution. Maybe Lyn or Unbound. anybody here use something else except Photos ?Thanks Thorsten! On 8 Dec 2016, at 9:37, Thorsten Lemke lemke@lemkesoft.de [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Dear Zal,maybe.A Photos extension get from the Photos app just a filename and path of the image for editing.That is normally a hidden temporary name - because a normal extension just loads the file for editing (and do not display the name).Thorstenso Apple did that in order to discourage editing in external editors ?On 8 Dec 2016, at 9:04, Zalman Lazkowicz zlazkow@yahoo.com [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Thanks Thorsten,the attachments are zero kb, and I can’t open them. No saving, no quick look.> On 8 Dec 2016, at 8:48, Thorsten Lemke lemke@lemkesoft.de [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:> > <Screen Shot 2016-12-08 at 07.47.05.png>
William H. Magill

Post by William H. Magill »

A couple of points: 1- Sierra changed Photos - new version. But, naturally no release notes, so we don’t know what was changed. 2- Apple most likely creates and then passes the temp file name to preserve the “roll-back” ability of Photos. By handing off a copy of the original - i.e. a temp file - Apple assures that the Original remains intact DESPITE what any external editor (or photos itself) might do to the image (Revert to Original). > On Dec 8, 2016, at 2:32 AM, Zalman Lazkowicz zlazkow@yahoo.com [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: > > > so Apple did that in order to discourage editing in external editors ? > > >> On 8 Dec 2016, at 9:04, Zalman Lazkowicz zlazkow@yahoo.com [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: >> >> Thanks Thorsten, >> the attachments are zero kb, and I can’t open them. No saving, no quick look. >> >> > On 8 Dec 2016, at 8:48, Thorsten Lemke lemke@lemkesoft.de [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: >> > >> > <Screen Shot 2016-12-08 at 07.47.05.png T.T.F.N. William H. Magill # iMac11,3 Core i7 [2.93GHz - 8 GB 1067MHz] OS X 10.12.1 # Macmini6,1 Intel Core i5 [2.5 Ghz - 4GB 1600MHz] OS X 10.12.1 magill@icloud.com magill@mac.com whmagill@gmail.com
Zalman Lazkowicz

Post by Zalman Lazkowicz »

Yes, it makes sense. Thanks! On 8 Dec 2016, at 17:36, 'William H. Magill' magill@mac.com [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:A couple of points:1- Sierra changed Photos - new version. But, naturally no release notes, so we don’t know what was changed.2- Apple most likely creates and then passes the temp file name to preserve the “roll-back” ability of Photos.By handing off a copy of the original - i.e. a temp file - Apple assures that the Original remains intact DESPITE what any external editor (or photos itself) might do to the image (Revert to Original).> On Dec 8, 2016, at 2:32 AM, Zalman Lazkowicz zlazkow@yahoo.com [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:> > > so Apple did that in order to discourage editing in external editors ?> > >> On 8 Dec 2016, at 9:04, Zalman Lazkowicz zlazkow@yahoo.com [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:>> >> Thanks Thorsten,>> the attachments are zero kb, and I can’t open them. No saving, no quick look.>> >> > On 8 Dec 2016, at 8:48, Thorsten Lemke lemke@lemkesoft.de [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:>> > >> > <Screen Shot 2016-12-08 at 07.47.05.pngT.T.F.N.William H. Magill# iMac11,3 Core i7 [2.93GHz - 8 GB 1067MHz] OS X 10.12.1# Macmini6,1 Intel Core i5 [2.5 Ghz - 4GB 1600MHz] OS X 10.12.1magill@icloud.commagill@mac.comwhmagill@gmail.com