Symbol and Zapf Dingbats fonts not working in GraphicConverter

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
Richard A. Fowell

Symbol and Zapf Dingbats fonts not working in GraphicConverter

Post by Richard A. Fowell »

Recently, I wanted to put a Greek theta symbol in a GraphicConverter document, but after selecting the Symbol font and entering "Q", the result was just ... "Q". When I reselected the text object, GraphicConverter said the text font was "Lucida Grande". I had the same issue with the Zapf Dingbats font - when I made a new "Zapf Dingbats" text object, it did not display it as such, and when I deselected it and reselected it, GraphicConverter said it was "Lucida Grande". However, Excel 2008 for Mac (12.3.6) displayed text in "Symbol" and  "Zapf Dingbats" correctly. What I've tried: (1) Upgrading to GraphicConverter 10.2 from GraphicConverter 9.7.5 (?) (2) Rebooting in "Safe Mode" to clear the Font Cache (3) Opening "Symbol", "Zapf Dingbats" and "Lucida Grande" in Apples "Font Book" application and selecting "Validata Font" from the menu      (all looked okay) Help? Thanks, Richard A. Fowell
thorstenlemke

Re: Symbol and Zapf Dingbats fonts not working in GraphicConverter

Post by thorstenlemke »

Dear Ricgard,the ZapfDingbats font has no character assigned to Q following to PopChar.So, the system reports an error message to GC and GC resets to the default font.Thorsten Recently, I wanted to put a Greek theta symbol in a GraphicConverter document,but after selecting the Symbol font and entering "Q", the result was just ... "Q".When I reselected the text object, GraphicConverter said the text font was "Lucida Grande".I had the same issue with the Zapf Dingbats font - when I made a new "Zapf Dingbats" text object,it did not display it as such, and when I deselected it and reselected it, GraphicConverter said it was "Lucida Grande".However, Excel 2008 for Mac (12.3.6) displayed text in "Symbol" and  "Zapf Dingbats" correctly.What I've tried:(1) Upgrading to GraphicConverter 10.2 from GraphicConverter 9.7.5 (?)(2) Rebooting in "Safe Mode" to clear the Font Cache(3) Opening "Symbol", "Zapf Dingbats" and "Lucida Grande" in Apples "Font Book" application and selecting "Validata Font" from the menu     (all looked okay)Help?Thanks,Richard A. Fowell