New Rookie w/ Questions

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo cadintoshmac group after the port.
tkat@tkat.com

New Rookie w/ Questions

Post by tkat@tkat.com »

Hello to All,I've just upgraded to a G4 w/ 10.3.8 O/S. I've been using AuraCAD [MGMS] since the old Mac II days. Unfortunately, it won't go past O/S 8.5.So, I've just started w/ CADintosh --- and raised my frustration level to a danger point.My main use for a CAD pgm are to design smaller machine parts, typically in the 6~8" range. Accuracy needs to be in the 3 decimal range.Follows are my starting questions --- once I get s'thing down on "paper" I'm sure I'll have a bunch more.* How do I change the scale of the dwg screen to real size? So 1" appears to be about 1".* How is the zero/zero corner moved to a user defined position. That's where the mill takes it's reference from to cut the parts.Once I can get the parts designed, we'll chat about absolute dimensioning. I'm an ol' "moss back" and prefer "tree-ware" so I've printed out all 92 pages of the manual. But it sure ain't a tutorial!Any old hand users out there that can give me a boost start?Ciao, Tkat"Vegetarian"; an old Indian word meaning 'poor hunter'.
Matthew Goeckner

Re: New Rookie w/ Questions

Post by Matthew Goeckner »

On Apr 10, 2005, at 4:47 PM, tkat@tkat.com wrote: But it sure ain't a tutorial!I would agree with your statement. I have been able to do little things but I have partly given up in frustration. There is also a major lack of time on my part to figure out all of the bits by myself. Just how do I setup a page with a given scale.....? It is the really simple stuff like that that I can't find/figure out. If someone can start a tutorial, I'd be willing to be a guinea pig for testing it. providing feedbackMatthew GoecknerAssociate ProfessorElectrical EngineeringPlasma Science LabPO Box 830688 M/S EC33 (2601 N. Floyd for packages)University of Texas - Dallas Richardson, TX 75083Ph: 972 883-4293Fx: 972 883-6839http://www.utdallas.edu/~goecknerAny opinions expressed in this email are those of the sender.
Chuck Rice

Post by Chuck Rice »

At 2:47 PM -0700 4/10/05, tkat@tkat.com wrote: >Hello to All,>>I've just upgraded to a G4 w/ 10.3.8 O/S. I've been using AuraCAD>[MGMS] since the old Mac II days. Unfortunately, it won't go past O/S>8.5.>>So, I've just started w/ CADintosh --- and raised my frustration level>to a danger point.>>My main use for a CAD pgm are to design smaller machine parts,>typically in the 6~8" range. Accuracy needs to be in the 3 decimal>range.>>Follows are my starting questions --- once I get s'thing down on>"paper" I'm sure I'll have a bunch more.>>* How do I change the scale of the dwg screen to real size? So 1">appears to be about 1". I think you can click on the + and - button that appear above theup/down scroll bar. The Z sets it back to 100%. At 100% I think thatthe size depends on the scale that you set when you created the documentor as you changed it in the options. >* How is the zero/zero corner moved to a user defined position. >That's where the mill takes it's reference from to cut the parts.>>Once I can get the parts designed, we'll chat about absolute>dimensioning. I'm an ol' "moss back" and prefer "tree-ware" so I've>printed out all 92 pages of the manual. But it sure ain't a tutorial!> I still have a hard time with Cadintosh too. I think that theintroduction file is a tutorial. Did you go through thattoo? If not, select the HELP->OPEN INTRODUCTION menu. If Iremember correctly, it covers zooming and it may tell you howto set the origin. Still, there are a lot of settings that needto be set to get started. it is hard to remember whereeverything is. -Chuck-
tkat@tkat.com

Tutorial

Post by tkat@tkat.com »

> ....................... If someone can start a> tutorial, I'd be willing to be a guinea pig for testing it. providing> feedback> HA!! Take a number & get in line. ;^)All we need now is some 'puter savvy wordsmith to organize the knowledge. Any volunteers?Chuck has some good answers that will get me started out --- the +/-/Z thing. The Help docs. are also sign pointers.I'm not gunna let this thing beat me up as it's a tool I NEED!I did go out and buy BobCAD 'cause they guaranteed it'd work on a Mac. Not So! It will IF you put on Virtual Windows --- $270 @ the Apple Store. Scheech, I went & bot a PC that'll be a stand alone system for less.It's just as tuff to get started w/ but they have tech support. The only reason I'm keeping it is that I worked them for 1/2 price and they threw in an engraving program. [It's also CAM --- provided they come up w/ a post processor for my machine.]Ciao, Tkat"The older I get, the faster I was."
tkat@tkat.com

Scale sizing, &c.

Post by tkat@tkat.com »

"Ah-Ha!", said the blind man as he picked up his hammer & saw. > ..........click on the + and - button that appear above the> up/down scroll bar. The Z sets it back to 100%. At 100% I think that> the size depends on the scale that you set when you created the > document> or as you changed it in the options. You're right! That's a start. >> .........introduction file is a tutorial...............select the > HELP->OPEN INTRODUCTION menu. ............Still, there are a lot of > settings that need to be set to get started. It is hard to remember > where> everything is. Hear, hear!No, I didn't read it in depth. It seemed to be archie orientated. But it does seem to have a bunch of help stuff. I'll go back & print it all out too. As my clients allow me the time. At the moment they have found where I was hiding and put me to work. [grmblgrmbl]==================================On to other matters.Is there a FAQ section in this group? If no, would s'one like to start one?A basic tutorial w/ mechanical examples sure would be a great help. The basic s/w seem quite comprehensive, particularly for shareware. Lemke did a good job w/ it. Unfortunately, he reminds me of an old thermo dynamics college Prof. who couldn't understand that his students weren't as intuitively brilliant as he was. That class was a Bitch!A'way, for all of you out there who have fought thru the beginning phases of the pgm, if you would take the time to set down your hard won knowledge, I for one, would greatly appreciate it and read them w/ full concentration.[How's that for a complex, convoluted sentence? Never did do well in English.]
Matthew Goeckner

Re: Tutorial

Post by Matthew Goeckner »

All we need now is some 'puter savvy wordsmith to organize the knowledge.  Any volunteers?Note my livelihood. I will be slow as I am busy but......QuestionWhat are the major pieces that a CAD program has to do?Matthew GoecknerAssociate ProfessorElectrical EngineeringPlasma Science LabPO Box 830688 M/S EC33 (2601 N. Floyd for packages)University of Texas - Dallas Richardson, TX 75083Ph: 972 883-4293Fx: 972 883-6839http://www.utdallas.edu/~goecknerAny opinions expressed in this email are those of the sender. On Apr 11, 2005, at 11:00 AM, tkat@tkat.com wrote:
tkat@tkat.com

Re: Tutorial

Post by tkat@tkat.com »

>>> Question>> What are the major pieces that a CAD program has to do?>> IMHO, the primary purpose of a CAD system is to communicate graphical information. The 2 sides of the coin are input & output.As designers, we are most concerned w/ the input side ---- as long as the person reading the dwg can still interpret it in a correct, meaningful, and efficient manner. From my perspective as a mechanical piece-part designer my most desirous wants are:1. easy scaling --- so I can fit the part to the screen or output paper.2. a way to set my absolute [Ø/Ø corner] where I want, whenever I want.3. a dimensioning system that will go from this corner in the least confusing manner --- a single marker @ the non-ØØ end.plus the incremental ability.Of course there are many other items, and others will have their own set(s). But this is a start.As I bash my way thru this CADware, I'll keep reporting in when new [2 me] stuff is discovered and understood.
RowlandCarson

Post by RowlandCarson »

At 2005-04-10 17:58 -0700 Chuck Rice wrote: >The Z sets it back to 100%. Chuck - the Z button Zooms the drawing so that it will all fit on the displayed window - that may not necessarily be 100%.regardsRowland-- : Wilma & Rowland Carson <http://home.clara.net/rowil/>: <rowil@clara.net> ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...
RowlandCarson

Post by RowlandCarson »

At 2005-04-10 14:47 -0700 tkat@tkat.com wrote: >* How do I change the scale of the dwg screen to real size? So 1">appears to be about 1". Tkat - there has been some chat on this forum already about scaling, and the scaling options in CADintosh are (to me) quite complex; I have certainly found difficulties in using the imperial (inch) scaling options, but the metric ones seem to work OK. It may be that Thorsten, being a European, is less comfortable working with imperial conventions than with metric, and so his implementation of that aspect is less fluid than someone who has grown up in the culture of fractions, inches, feet, yards, rods, poles and perches. I think Thorsten said he had done some work on the scaling in the latest beta, but I haven't been to my local wi-fi hotspot yet to download it - I'm stil on dialup at home. >* How is the zero/zero corner moved to a user defined position. >That's where the mill takes it's reference from to cut the parts. The zero/zero corner, is by definition, at x=0 and y=0.Not sure that I understand your question, but here are 2 possible answers:If you want to move it around on the screen (eg so that zero/zero is in the middle of your viewing area), hold down the shift key then use the mouse to drag the drawing as required.If you have drawn the drawing in the "wrong" position with respect to the zero/zero point, then use the move tool in the toolbox (make sure the toolbox is showing: cmd-K to toggle). The tool section you want is the 4th down on the left side, just above the bin tool. The particular tool you are likely to want for this is the second one in, move by specifed x & y distances. >Once I can get the parts designed, we'll chat about absolute>dimensioning Sometimes it's easier to draw stuff at full size and scale as necessary for printing; the resulting .DXF export may suit the water-jet cutter or whatever you're using to make the bits. Of course, if the parts are very small, or sized for the Forth Bridge, that approach is not so good. But for your 6" to 8" parts, that might be the easiest way.I wonder if it is useful to have a collection of CADintosh drawings donated by users to show what can be done or to illustrate questions, etc? Obviously there are intellectual property issues to be aware of in releasing complete drawings - but I'm thinking more about smaller examples of details than a complete architectural drawing for a corporate headquarters. I haven't checked yet, but as this is a Yahoo group, there should be a ready-made place for such file sharing. I have a few small files I'd be happy to share.regardsRowland-- : Wilma & Rowland Carson <http://home.clara.net/rowil/>: <rowil@clara.net> ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...
tkat@tkat.com

Scaling &c

Post by tkat@tkat.com »

Attachments :Thnx for yer response. I appreciate your time in answer'n.========================================= On Apr 12, 2005, at 2:27 AM, Rowland Carson wrote:>>> Tkat - there has been some chat on this forum already about scaling,> and the scaling options in CADintosh are (to me) quite complexThat's why I asked if there was a FAQ section. I don't wish to belabor a dead horse to get up to speed.> .............but the metric ones seem to work OK. It may be that> Thorsten, being a European, is less comfortable working with imperial> conventions than with metric, and so his implementation of that> aspect is less fluid than someone who has grown up in the culture of> fractions, inches, feet, yards, rods, poles and perches.And don't forget furlongs & chains. Unfortunately, our machine tools here are scaled in 0.001". My take so far is that he's a macro guy where a meter is his basic unit. I work in 1/1000"'s. +/- .005" is my general tolerance.> The zero/zero corner, is by definition, at x=0 and y=0.>> Not sure that I understand your question, but here are 2 possible > answers:What I meant by this is that my mill and programing like to take one corner of the part and do all cutting/computing from there; the Ø/Ø corner.On the dwg each view has its own ØØ ref corner. Then the dim's for that view are taken from that corner. Typically, I'll have 3 views on a sheet; plan, elevation, & end. [front, top, side]. So I'm look'n for how to spot that origin where it is convenient for that view & then move it to another spot for another view.I'll try yer suggestions & see if they do what I need.> ....... Sometimes it's easier to draw stuff at full size and scale as> necessary for printing; the resulting .DXF export may suit the> water-jet cutter or whatever you're using to make the bits.Most of my stuff is drawn full scale & printed out. I have a garden variety 3 axis CNC mill that uses conversational language that I program @ the machine.> I wonder if it is useful to have a collection of CADintosh drawings> donated by users to show what can be done or to illustrate questions,> etc? Obviously there are intellectual property issues to be aware of> in releasing complete drawings - but I'm thinking more about smaller> examples of details than a complete architectural drawing for a> corporate headquarters. I haven't checked yet, but as this is a Yahoo> group, there should be a ready-made place for such file sharing. I> have a few small files I'd be happy to share.>I'm all for that. Mechanical stuff is too easy to reverse engineer to worry about be'n copied. And I'd sure like to "go to school" on other's experiences. There's enuf weird stuff left to invent/learn to bother redo'n plowed ground.I've scanned a typical dwg into this post to show what I mess w/. Hope it comes thru.This is a clamp for a Yamaha XS1100 fork brace --- circa '79~'81. Over the last 7 yrs. I've made around 1300 sets of 'em.Ciao, Tkat"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie', until you find a big stick."