New Rookie w/ Questions

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo cadintoshmac group after the port.
RowlandCarson

Re: Scaling &c

Post by RowlandCarson »

Attachments :At 2005-04-12 10:35 -0700 tkat@tkat.com wrote: >my mill and programing like to take one>corner of the part and do all cutting/computing from there; the Ø/Ø>corner.>>On the dwg each view has its own ØØ ref corner. Then the dim's for>that view are taken from that corner. Typically, I'll have 3 views on>a sheet; plan, elevation, & end. [front, top, side]. So I'm look'n>for how to spot that origin where it is convenient for that view & then>move it to another spot for another view. Tkat - maybe what's needed for the output to the machine is a separate drawing for each view, each one set to its own suitable zero. This could be done by doing the views all on one document, then when finished duplicating the file 3 times. In each of the duplicates, eliminate the 2 un-needed views and use the "move dx, dy" function to re-position the wanted view in the wanted place. (Sounds long-winded, but doesn't take much effort.) In the initial drawing, careful choice of the 3 "0,0," points could make life easy, by using CADintosh's calculation ability. If view 1 was really referred to 0,0, and view 2 to (say) 10,0, then all dimensions entered in the dialogue box could be expressed as:10+A, B(where A is the x-dimension referred to 10,0 and B is the y-dimension).similarly if view 3 was referenced to 2.3,8.75 then all dimensions for that would be entered as:2.3+A, 8.75+BI have found the calculation ability very handy, and the possibility to pull up the last few entries using the pop-up at bottom right saves time too. >I've scanned a typical dwg into this post to show what I mess w/. Hope>it comes thru.>>This is a clamp for a Yamaha XS1100 fork brace --- circa '79~'81. Over>the last 7 yrs. I've made around 1300 sets of 'em. Thanks for the picture - often worth a thousand words. Incidentally, it's always worth setting your scanner to B/W mode for capturing drawings. I converted that one from a JPEG with 16.7 million colours to a B/W GIF in GraphicConverter (Thorsten's other product!) and it shrank from 204k to 32k (see attached). The thresholding for B/W is best done at the scan stage, rather than in GC, though - that usually gives a much cleaner image.I can't see anything in that drawing which should cause any difficulties in CADintosh.Sorry for the delay in responding. My phone line has gone bad and my modem can barely make a connexion.regardsRowland-- : Wilma & Rowland Carson <http://home.clara.net/rowil/>: <rowil@clara.net> ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...
tkat@tkat.com

Scaling &c --- Basic Point

Post by tkat@tkat.com »

On Apr 27, 2005, at 8:32 AM, Rowland Carson wrote: >> >On the dwg each view has its own ØØ ref corner.  ....... So I'm > look'n> >for how to spot that origin where it is convenient for that view & > then> >move it to another spot for another view.>> Tkat - maybe what's needed for the output to the> machine is a separate drawing for each view, FOUND the ANSWER!! TA-DA!It's on pg 5 of the Docs.Click in the co-ord menu [top right].Follow directions in prompt.Only it ain't work'n like y'day. It says enter co-ords but it won't. I've taken to sett'n s'thing where I want the basic point then in auto mode click'n there. That works. > >I've scanned a typical dwg into this post to show what I mess w/.  > Hope> >it comes thru.>> ..........Incidentally, it's always worth setting> your scanner to B/W mode for capturing drawings. ..........The > thresholding for> B/W is best done at the scan stage,............. I can't see anything > in that drawing which should cause any difficulties in CADintosh. Good tip. Thnx.The tricky thing w/ the off-set arc.............I've figured a couple of ways:A:1. Draw a perp line from the top of the taper line to the 1" horz C/L.2. Select Arc-> ctr/rad.3. Since the rad of the main arc is known, swing a short arc of that rad. btw 345° & 15° using the ctr of the main arc curve as the ctr of the short arc.4. Do the math [1.849-.094] or Arc->ctr/rad5. Go to Mid/End mode [2nd from right btm menu.6. Draw off-set arc using established arc ctr & off-set point.7. Trim->split, Trim->trim to clean it up.B:1. Select Circle->ctr/rad.2. Auto mode Draw .094 rad cir @ both ends & ctr of main arc.3. Select Special->selectable/not selectable4. Deselect the arc and the top & btm lines. [Click once & they grew out]5. Select Arc->3 objects. follow promptsUnfortunately there seems to be a bug on my disc. An arc appears tottally out of position & scale.Ride Tall, Tkat"Never let a dog guard your lunch."
RowlandCarson

Re: Scaling &c --- Basic Point

Post by RowlandCarson »

At 2005-04-27 15:45 -0700 tkat@tkat.com wrote: >FOUND the ANSWER!! TA-DA!>>It's on pg 5 of the Docs.>Click in the co-ord menu [top right].>Follow directions in prompt.>>Only it ain't work'n like y'day. It says enter co-ords but it won't. >I've taken to sett'n s'thing where I want the basic point then in auto>mode click'n there. That works. Tkat - it is amazing what you can learn from reading the manual! I have read the manual right through at least twice, and that feature just hadn't impressed itself on me. I guess you need to take the time to not only read, but also try out everythng that's described, so that it has a better chance to stick.As regards the "enter co-ords", that's what I find too. Both my "working" version, X 5.3.1 and the latest beta I have, 5.3.2b0 behave the same way. I can click on a spot using any of the modes, but cannot enter the co-ordinates. Another little one for Thorsten.regardsRowland-- : Wilma & Rowland Carson <http://home.clara.net/rowil/>: <rowil@clara.net> ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...