Getting Started --- Chap 1

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo cadintoshmac group after the port.
tkat@tkat.com

Post by tkat@tkat.com »

Well, after reading thru all 126 pages of my printed out manuals --- and even remembering a bunch of it --- I'm ready to attack using this system. I'm a tree-ware guy. I like to have an example on the screen to play w/ as I read the book. BTW, I'm on a G4 running Panther.For those of you familiar w/ CADintosh this chapter can be skipped --- as most disclaimers state. Not only that, but like w/ most things, "There's lots of ways to get across country". This is just a way I found.1st we assume you've got the pgm installed. OK, open it up and then command-N to get a new dwg. My dwgs are almost always of small mechanical parts, say no larger than 6"x8" or so. Therefore I want a new drawing to be scale 1:1, in inches, & 3 decimal accuracy. The way I've found to do this is in the top menu. Hit Option->drawing. This brings up a set-up box. I select paper size as A4 Landscape, inches, and decimal.Next, hit Option->dimension. Here I specify 3 decimal accuracy. I've not a clue what all the other setting control yet. I then move the X-hairs to where I want to start my drawing, that's shift-click-drag. For now, stick 'em in the lower left corner. Next I saved this drawing as "Basic" so I can just drag it back out for the next part --- but remember to rename it IMMEDIATELY! What threw me for some time was what to do next. Viola! In the lower left bottom of the screen is THE most important menu of the system. It's sort of explained starting on pg 2 of the workshop manual. For a more in-depth study go there and follow the examples. For me, the 4 boxes on the right are the most important. NOTE: You can cycle thru them using the "tab" key. Of these 4 start with the left one, free-hand mode.Just above this menu bar is the entry line. Here's where the info for the lines, &c. is entered. What's requested is a function of what's being done. It's fairly clear, particularly after working w/ a few examples.NOTE: With a 2 button mouse the right button brings up the whole toolbox pallet in note form. Then by dropping to the function wanted, a sub menu shows up w/ the rest of the choices. Not that it's that important, but it means you don't have to keep doing the command-K thing to get the pallet out of the way in a busy drawing.OK, time for some (im)practical examples:1. Select free-hand mode --- finger pointer.2. Select Line->point-to-point3. Follow the entry instructions and draw a couple of unconnected lines on the screen, make them so that when extended the intersection point will be on the screen.4. Select the intersect mode, 3rd box from right end, X w/ red dot.5. Follow the instructions. See the small blue cross? Ta-DA! Intersection point.Unfortunately, it seems as tho the next action will draw a line to this point so it's only usefull when that's what you want to do. Hopefully, I'm wrong and will discover the trick later on. It's also a poor-man's "trim".6. Now move another box right in the menu, funny looking "C" w/ 3 red dots. This will select the mid point or end point of a feature, whichever's the closest to the pointer when clicked. Try it out.7. The final box is the one I use the most. It marks the closest point to the pointer and selects it when clicked. That means you don't have to be spot on.Aside: F12 refreshes [redraw function] the drawing.OK, enuf. For those that didn't know, hope this helps. For those that do, hope you weren't too bored.Now, my next endeavor will be Chap. 2. I'll tear into symbols and groups. In mechanical drawings some things are high repeaters, C/L's, tapped hole sym, zero corners, &c. Heretofore, I've had bunches in libraries and call them back as reqd. C'tosh has gotta have the same ability!!Thnx for the band width.Tkat"Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...Holy S**t!! What a Ride!!"
tkat@tkat.com

Post by tkat@tkat.com »

THis is a repost. I'm not at all sure It went last time. A'way, I didn't get it back.===========================================Well, after reading thru all 126 pages of my printed out manuals --- and even remembering a bunch of it --- I'm ready to attack using this system. I'm a tree-ware guy. I like to have an example on the screen to play w/ as I read the book. BTW, I'm on a G4 running Panther.For those of you familiar w/ CADintosh this chapter can be skipped --- as most disclaimers state. Not only that, but like w/ most things, "There's lots of ways to get across country". This is just a way I found.1st we assume you've got the pgm installed. OK, open it up and then command-N to get a new dwg. My dwgs are almost always of small mechanical parts, say no larger than 6"x8" or so. Therefore I want a new drawing to be scale 1:1, in inches, & 3 decimal accuracy. The way I've found to do this is in the top menu. Hit Option->drawing. This brings up a set-up box. I select paper size as A4 Landscape, inches, and decimal.Next, hit Option->dimension. Here I specify 3 decimal accuracy. I've not a clue what all the other setting control yet. I then move the X-hairs to where I want to start my drawing, that's shift-click-drag. For now, stick 'em in the lower left corner. Next I saved this drawing as "Basic" so I can just drag it back out for the next part --- but remember to rename it IMMEDIATELY! What threw me for some time was what to do next. Viola! In the lower left bottom of the screen is THE most important menu of the system. It's sort of explained starting on pg 2 of the workshop manual. For a more in-depth study go there and follow the examples. For me, the 4 boxes on the right are the most important. NOTE: You can cycle thru them using the "tab" key. Of these 4 start with the left one, free-hand mode.Just above this menu bar is the entry line. Here's where the info for the lines, &c. is entered. What's requested is a function of what's being done. It's fairly clear, particularly after working w/ a few examples.NOTE: With a 2 button mouse the right button brings up the whole toolbox pallet in note form. Then by dropping to the function wanted, a sub menu shows up w/ the rest of the choices. Not that it's that important, but it means you don't have to keep doing the command-K thing to get the pallet out of the way in a busy drawing.OK, time for some (im)practical examples:1. Select free-hand mode --- finger pointer.2. Select Line->point-to-point3. Follow the entry instructions and draw a couple of unconnected lines on the screen, make them so that when extended the intersection point will be on the screen.4. Select the intersect mode, 3rd box from right end, X w/ red dot.5. Follow the instructions. See the small blue cross? Ta-DA! Intersection point.Unfortunately, it seems as tho the next action will draw a line to this point so it's only usefull when that's what you want to do. Hopefully, I'm wrong and will discover the trick later on. It's also a poor-man's "trim".6. Now move another box right in the menu, funny looking "C" w/ 3 red dots. This will select the mid point or end point of a feature, whichever's the closest to the pointer when clicked. Try it out.7. The final box is the one I use the most. It marks the closest point to the pointer and selects it when clicked. That means you don't have to be spot on.Aside: F12 refreshes [redraw function] the drawing.OK, enuf. For those that didn't know, hope this helps. For those that do, hope you weren't too bored.Now, my next endeavor will be Chap. 2. I'll tear into symbols and groups. In mechanical drawings some things are high repeaters, C/L's, tapped hole sym, zero corners, &c. Heretofore, I've had bunches in libraries and call them back as reqd. C'tosh has gotta have the same ability!!Thnx for the band width.Tkat"Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...Holy S**t!! What a Ride!!"
RowlandCarson

Re: Getting Started --- Chap 1

Post by RowlandCarson »

At 2005-04-22 11:00 -0700 tkat@tkat.com wrote: >I saved this drawing>as "Basic" so I can just drag it back out for the next part --- but>remember to rename it IMMEDIATELY! Tkat - I must confess that I haven't got around to making my own "Stationery" in CADintosh. Not sure why, as I like having templates in Word, and always had a customised Options document in ClarisDraw. I guess, though, that's what the "scheets" folder is intended to provide. The icons of the documents in there look like stationery, but I hadn't noticed that I can create my own verison of them; the ones Thorsten provides don't seem to speak to my requirements.If you choose "save as" once you've created your preferred environment, and choose the "stationery pad" option from the format pop-up menu, you won't need to worry about re-naming it - it will come up as an untitled document when you next open it. >7. The final box is the one I use the most. It marks the closest>point to the pointer and selects it when clicked. That means you don't>have to be spot on. That's only appeared in recent versions and I really like it. It highlights any of the nearest significant points, whether end, middle or intersection, so it's like a combination of the middle 2 boxes. >Now, my next endeavor will be Chap. 2. I'll tear into symbols and>groups. In mechanical drawings some things are high repeaters, C/L's,>tapped hole sym, zero corners, &c. Heretofore, I've had bunches in>libraries and call them back as reqd. C'tosh has gotta have the same>ability!! CADintosh does indeed have good symbol library capabilities; but for me it wasn't entirely intuitive how to use them!In Thorsten's defence, his manual does say that it isn't intended to teach CAD, just to explain how CADintosh works to someone who already knows about CAD.You have made a good start on the "teaching CAD" aspect; I hope all of us here (including the presently quiet lurking ones) can help contribute to this endeavour.regardsRowland-- : Wilma & Rowland Carson <http://home.clara.net/rowil/>: <rowil@clara.net> ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...
tkat@tkat.com

Post by tkat@tkat.com »

>> I guess, though, that's what the "scheets" folder is intended to> provide. The icons of the documents in there look like stationery,> but I hadn't noticed that I can create my own verison of them; the> ones Thorsten provides don't seem to speak to my requirements. Oh? Help me out. Where are they? I need a map. >> In Thorsten's defence, his manual does say that it isn't intended to> teach CAD, just to explain how CADintosh works to someone who already> knows about CAD. Yabut, I've been work'n w/ CAD for 20 yrs & this has gotta be the least intuitive I've ever run into. [grmblgrmbl]On top of that, I'm afraid I've a s'what buggy disc. >> .............teaching CAD" aspect; I hope all> of us here (including the presently quiet lurking ones) can help> contribute to this endeavour. Hear, hear!!Come on, Guys. I've been able to get this far outta shear desperation & lack of shop work. When the jobs start again I'll be back out in the shop.Ride Tall, Tkat* YOU MAY BE AN ENGINEER IF... *If your wrist watch has more computing power than a 486DX-50
RowlandCarson

Post by RowlandCarson »

At 2005-04-27 15:54 -0700 tkat@tkat.com wrote: >At 2005-04-27 16:32 +0100 Rowland Carson wrote:> >>> I guess, though, that's what the "scheets" folder is intended to>> provide. The icons of the documents in there look like stationery,>> but I hadn't noticed that I can create my own verison of them; the>> ones Thorsten provides don't seem to speak to my requirements.>>Oh? Help me out. Where are they? I need a map. Tkat - apologies for my very tardy response - my phone line has been down for the last week and I've been using a neighbour's phone to get online, but don't want to impose too much on him.The scheets I referred to came as part of the whole CADintosh package at some stage. I can't remember if they were in the latest download or not, but I alwyas try to hang onto any such goodies when an update comes along, rather than just trashing everything in the folder and ovr-writing with the latest version.Here is an (edited) folder listing (produced by TextWrangler - which I strongly recommend as the price is right!) from my CADintosh folder, which lives as usual in the applications folder (OS X):CADintosh 5.3.1: CADintosh: CADintosh Scripts: CADintosh_An_Introduction.pdf Changes 5.3b1.txt Example: History.txt Library: Order Form.pdf Order Online Scheets: A0 A1 A2 A3 A3 beschnitten A4 beschnitten A4 hoch A4 quer A4 sw A4-mini Drawing Formblatt Header Users Guide.pdfI have excised the sub-folder listings except for the "Scheets" folder. If you have never seen those, or maybe also the Examples and Library folders, let me know & I will put them up on the Yahoo files area - assuming that meets with Thorsten's approval?regardsRowland-- : Wilma & Rowland Carson <http://home.clara.net/rowil/>: <rowil@clara.net> ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...
tkat@tkat.com

Post by tkat@tkat.com »

>> Tkat - apologies for my very tardy response - my phone line has been> down for the last week and I've been using a neighbour's phone to get> online, but don't want to impose too much on him.>> The scheets I referred to came as part of the whole CADintosh package> at some stage. Understandable. Found the "scheets" They were in the "Read Me" folder. But ckicking on them does n'th'n. They just lie there & look "stoopid" > .................maybe also the Examples and> Library folders, let me know & I will put them up on the Yahoo files> area - assuming that meets with Thorsten's approval?> I printed out both the users guide & workshop example [house walls/door/table] but could find n'th'n else of worth.========================================Also, I have Ver 5.0. Is there a later one?========================================Not to piss a'one off, but I'm becoming s'what disenchanted w/ CAD'tosh. It's quite "buggy" and doesn't have some features that I'm used to and are quite helpful.* Where's a "Points" menu?* I want an "Off-set" function so I can draw lines & other elements a specified distance from selected features.* And the "dimensions" need some real work --- whew!Yes, there's bunches of stuff in this pgm that make it extremely powerful. But what good is a Kenworth Tractor if you have to make 3 consecutive right turns 'cause it won't turn left?Ride Tall, TkatMilitary Intelligence "CLUSTER BOMBING FROM B-52s IS VERY, VERY ACCURATE. THE BOMBS ARE GUARANTEED TO ALWAYS HIT THE GROUND." -U.S.A.F. Ammo Troop.
RowlandCarson

Post by RowlandCarson »

At 2005-05-02 16:11 -0700 tkat@tkat.com wrote: >Found the "scheets" They were in the "Read Me">folder. But ckicking on them does n'th'n. Tkat - you mean you can't open them with CADintosh? Did you try opening them from the File menu in CADintosh, rather than double-clicking on them in the finder?I find that double-clicking on them immediately creates a new CADintosh document with the same name + "copy" added. Opening them from the File menu just creates a new untitled CADintosh document. >Not to piss a'one off, but I'm becoming s'what disenchanted w/>CAD'tosh. It's quite "buggy" and doesn't have some features that I'm>used to and are quite helpful.>>* Where's a "Points" menu?>* I want an "Off-set" function so I can draw lines & other elements a>specified distance from selected features.>* And the "dimensions" need some real work --- whew!>>Yes, there's bunches of stuff in this pgm that make it extremely>powerful. But what good is a Kenworth Tractor if you have to make 3>consecutive right turns 'cause it won't turn left? I see VersaCAD has just annouced a new version for Mac OS X, but you might not like the price ....Maybe you do indeed have a bad copy; have you tried downloading the latest version (I'm using 5.3.1 for OS X) from the Lemkesoft site?My personal opinion is that CADintosh is a very unprofitable sideline for Thorsten. Any money he makes is on GraphicConverter (qv) and considering the number of updates one gets without having to pay again, he can't be making a mint out of that either.regardsRowland-- : Wilma & Rowland Carson <http://home.clara.net/rowil/>: <rowil@clara.net> ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...
tkat@tkat.com

Stationary Pad

Post by tkat@tkat.com »

>> Tkat - you mean you can't open them with CADintosh? Did you try> opening them from the File menu in CADintosh, rather than> double-clicking on them in the finder? Went to the file menu & they weren't there..??BUT I've found how to do it:Design a dwg as you wish w/ the scale & dim. info as desired.Hit "Save as" --- shift-command-S all at once..New screen where it is to be named & placed also has a menu button @ about 7 o'clock. Mine always opens w/ "normal"Select "Stationary Pad"Finish off as usualTA-DA! A new stationary pad is now living w'ever you put it. > Maybe you do indeed have a bad copy; have you tried downloading the> latest version (I'm using 5.3.1 for OS X) from the Lemkesoft site? He sent me a disc loaded w/ 5.2 for O/S X. Is 5.3.X much different? I'd hate to toss what I've learned & start over. > ............Tkat - if you want to use an existing symbol as> part of a new symbol, you have to choose "insert> & explode". That way it forgets it was a symbol> and just becomes the original drawing elements> again from which the symbol was created. Hummmmmmmm.................................. So that's what "Explode means. Thnx. >> >° Select Line->perpendicular> >° Click vert C/L and a point above the top object line the > length to> >extend the C/L>> I think this must be a typo - it doesn't seem to> make sense (we're not wanting a line> perpendicular to the vertical C/L), nor if I try> it does it do anything sensible for me at this> point in the drawing. I believe it should be> something like:>>> Select Trim->Trim> Click above C/L the length to extend it (or enter> co-ordinates for an exact value)> Click C/L to extend it Naw, it's OK. Just a hard way to do it. I now know better. What I was do'n was making 2 lines, trimm'n, and then delet'n the construction line.Mo' betta: Select Trim->trim in free hand mode, put a point the ht [lth] you want to extend the line and follow the prompts. > Just to try out the system, I have put a couple of files in the> CADintosh Yahoo! group area. They are (1) a CAD file of a paint spray> gun using 35mm film canisters as paint jars and (2) a JPEG of the> finished article, fitted to the blow gun that provides the air> metering. It's been awhile since I was in Yahoo Grps but the look has totally changed. I finally found them. I couldn't open the .CAD file but the JPEG came thru. What should I be do'n?Also, Safari can't open the panel symbols. What's the trick(s)?Found 'em. They were under "Down loads" Still no joy w/ the .bib file. What should I use to open it? I tried Adobe Reader & now can't get outta it HELP!I noticed in yer paint gun dim.s that yer using straight x & y format for dim.s of holes in side view. If you go to Dimensions->diameter it will do the dim but w/ a Ø symbol leading.You also have solved the angular position'n pblm I have, Therefore, I shall keep working on it.Ciao, Tkat"Well, Chester, choos'n friends goes kinda fast when the shoot'n starts." Marshal Dillon
RowlandCarson

libraries [was: Re: Stationary (sic) Pad]

Post by RowlandCarson »

At 2005-05-07 16:43 -0700 tkat@tkat.com wrote: >He sent me a disc loaded w/ 5.2 for O/S X. Is 5.3.X much different? >I'd hate to toss what I've learned & start over. Tkat - no, no big differences. You wouldn't have to unlearn anything. >It's been awhile since I was in Yahoo Grps but the look has totally>changed. I finally found them. I couldn't open the .CAD file but the>JPEG came thru. What should I be do'n? Not sure what's wrong there. Is anyone else having this problem? >Also, Safari can't open the panel symbols. What's the trick(s)?>>Found 'em. They were under "Down loads" Still no joy w/ the .bib>file. What should I use to open it? I tried Adobe Reader & now can't>get outta it HELP! The .bib file can only be used if you already have a document open in CADintosh - you can't open it as a CADintosh document. And you definitely can't open it in Safari - you just have to download it.Once you've downloaded it, put it in the "library" folder in the CADintosh folder in your Applications folder (there may be a more politically correct place for it nowadays, but that's were Thorsten put it so I leave it there). If you keep all your libraries in the same folder, you never have to faff about looking for them.Open a CADintosh document (any one will do, even a new blank one).Choose Management... from the Symbol menu.A dialogue box opens with library symbols on the right and the symbols in your current document on the left. If there's a library open, hit the Close button to get rid of it, then hit the Open button, which takes you to a regular file open dialogue box. Choose the new library file (which probably should have a .bib or .lib extension, but they seem to work even without) and hit Open.Now all the symbols in the library are available in the right-hand column to move across into your current document. As you highlight each one, a preview of it appears in the centre. Use the arrow keys to scroll through quickly.Thorsten also maintains a library download file on his website; maybe I shouldn't be encouraging a separate resource for that - anybody else got any views? How many people have downloaded & used the libraries from Lemkesoft? Would it be handier to have libraries in small chunks rather than one big download? >I noticed in yer paint gun dim.s that yer using straight x & y format>for dim.s of holes in side view. If you go to Dimensions->diameter it>will do the dim but w/ a Ø symbol leading. Thanks for that - I guess I am a bit sloppy about some stuff like that. I'll fix it and re-post the drawing (eventually). >You also have solved the angular position'n pblm I have, Therefore, I>shall keep working on it. Was that the business about the centre of the arc for the bevelled LH side of the fork brace clamp? I didn't really understand your statement of it, and so I'm not sure how I've solved it either!regardsRowland-- : Wilma & Rowland Carson <http://home.clara.net/rowil/>: <rowil@clara.net> ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...
Carl Scholz

Re: libraries [was: Re: Stationary (sic) Pad]

Post by Carl Scholz »

On May 9, 2005, at 5:35 PM, Rowland Carson wrote: > At 2005-05-07 16:43 -0700 tkat@tkat.com wrote:>> >He sent me a disc loaded w/ 5.2 for O/S X.  Is 5.3.X much different?> >I'd hate to toss what I've learned & start over.>> Tkat - no, no big differences. You wouldn't have to unlearn anything.>> >It's been awhile since I was in Yahoo Grps but the look has totally> >changed.  I finally found them.  I couldn't open the .CAD file but > the> >JPEG came thru.  What should I be do'n?>> Not sure what's wrong there. Is anyone else having this problem? I couldn't open the .CAD file either while I was running 5.2. I downloaded 5.3.1 and then it worked fine. So, there must be some backward compatibility issue.So, tkat, u awta d.l. the l8est ver. and givit a'not'r try.Sorry, I couldn't resist. :-)Carl