Chap. 2 - Symbols

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo cadintoshmac group after the port.
tkat@tkat.com

Chap. 2 - Symbols

Post by tkat@tkat.com »

At the risk of perhaps "Preaching to the Choir", what follows is a summary of a few hr's. work w/ CADintosh symbols.I'm assuming that this'll get posted even tho I won't rcv it --- for some unknown reason. I just hope I'm not missing others' longer posts --- ITAS.Repeating, I do small part mechanical dwgs. As such, there are several common elements that I use constantly; i.e. C/L's, tapped holes, zero/zero corners, &c. Follows is 1 way to create them1st, I've dragged back my "Basic" screen and renamed it Chap. 2After the symbols are created they can be stored in a permanent library file and moved to w'ever dwg is active. Command-G is the key.Symbols, create:Center Lines: [This is what I did, you may have your own system or a much easier way --- I'm just starting.]° Select line type [#3] in lower left corner menu bar, 3rd from left.° Select the free hand symbol in the lower left corner menu bar, 4th from right and set a point [in line mode]° Select any method of drawing a line 1.4" long; angle 0, length 1.4"Note: w/ a 2 button mouse the right button brings up a menu w/ slide outs to sub menus.° Select midpoint symbol in LL cor., 2nd from right. Establish it on the line.° Select Transform->Rotate° Enter 90° and hit return. Select line. Enter 1 & hit returnYou should have a hole C/L symbol w/ .700 arms. If no, keep mess'n w/ it 'til ya do.° Select Symbol->Symbol from Window in top main menu.° Drag a box around the x-hairs.° Select the center as "paste point"° Name the group° Select Symbol->Management from top main menu° Select New for library. Follow the instructions.° Hi-lite C/L in left list & hit "move" button.Editing is just a matter of following the hi-lited prompts on the Circle. From there on it's just a matter of pull'n them back where you need 'em. This is Symbol->Insert & Symbol->Explode. Insert does it w/ no scale change, explode allows x&y scale changes & rotational changes. I haven't explored the other options yet.Tapped Hole: This is one I use heavily. Like the C/L's, I save it as a 1"er and scale as reqd.° Redo the 1" C/L's & paste it s'where. There's gotta be a way to "release" the symbol if dragged back but I can't find it yet. All that happens on the Save Sym command is that the tapped hole is saved, not the C/L's° Select Circle->circle w/ ctr & rad.° Select ctr of C/L lines° Select .5 as the rad.° Select Arc->ctr& rad° Select .4 as the rad° Select 45° as start angle° Select 315° as end angle° Select Symbol->Symbol from Window in top main menu.° Drag a box around the lot.° Select the center as "paste point"° Name the groupTapped hole: Side view° Select Line->at an angle° Draw a 1" vertical line° Select Line->parallel° Draw 3 lines to the right; .250", .225", and .025" Option-click-drag is a zoom° Select Line->point to point, auto mode, & close the ends° select line style 3, C/L° Select center point in bottom menu and locate the top horz. center of the to be sym.° Do the same on the bottom. A line will be drawn.° Select Line->perpendicular° Click vert C/L and a point above the top object line the length to extend the C/L° Do the same on the bottom° Trim and clean up the dwg. by deleting the const. lines° Put the drill point on the sym, I use line at angle and trim.° Select the paste point. I use the C/L & the bottom horz line° Select and save new sym as per above.Zero Corner:I use 2, Top left [& lr] & Top Right [& ll]° Select pen 5° Select Line->angle° Draw a line 1" vert down° continue the line 1" horz right.° Auto mode, select Circle->ctr/rad° Draw a .1" rad circle @ the line intersections° Select Trim->trim and trim the parts of the lines inside the circle.° Delete circle.° Select Special->ellipse° Draw a vert ellipse away from the lines. I used x=.2 & y=.35, Start & end angles=0° Draw a skewed line thru the ellipse to taste. Use transform functions.° Select the ellipse & line and move between the other 2 lines to suit w/ Transform->move° Construct a vertical line to the right of the features. This will be the mirror axis.° Select Transform->mirror.° Select mirror axis° Draw window around future symbol.° Enter "1" and hit return. Opposite zero corner symbol is drawn.° Select Symbol->Symbol from Window in top main menu.° Drag a box around one of the future symbols° Select the line intersection as "paste point", auto mode° Name the group° Repeat w/ the other symbol.Whew! Enuf for the day.Next up: Recreating the Fork Brace clamp.Ciao, Tkat"Well, Chester, choos'n friends goes kinda fast when the shoot'n starts." Marshal Dillon
RowlandCarson

Re: Chap. 2 - Symbols

Post by RowlandCarson »

At 2005-04-23 11:44 -0700 tkat@tkat.com wrote: >° Redo the 1" C/L's & paste it s'where. There's gotta be a way to>"release" the symbol if dragged back but I can't find it yet. All that>happens on the Save Sym command is that the tapped hole is saved, not>the C/L's Tkat - if you want to use an existing symbol as part of a new symbol, you have to choose "insert & explode". That way it forgets it was a symbol and just becomes the original drawing elements again from which the symbol was created. >° Select Line->perpendicular>° Click vert C/L and a point above the top object line the length to>extend the C/L I think this must be a typo - it doesn't seem to make sense (we're not wanting a line perpendicular to the vertical C/L), nor if I try it does it do anything sensible for me at this point in the drawing. I believe it should be something like:Select Trim->TrimClick above C/L the length to extend it (or enter co-ordinates for an exact value)Click C/L to extend itSorry to be so late in responding to your useful postings; I have a number of other things on the boil as well!regardsRowland-- : Wilma & Rowland Carson <http://home.clara.net/rowil/>: <rowil@clara.net> ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...