measure tool

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo cadintoshmac group after the port.
RowlandCarson

measure tool

Post by RowlandCarson »

I've just discovered a feature of the measure tool that had puzzled me previously.I think I alluded to it in another posting, but can't find that just now. Anyway, a most useful feature of the measure tool is that it gives the relationship between 2 elements. However, that aspect only works if you are _not_ in freehand selection mode.In freehand selection mode, the measure tool always prompts for the first element and never asks for a second one. Measurement results are shown in the info palette.In any of the other selection modes, the first element is highlighted in red when clicked and the prompt asks for the second element. When that is clicked, the second measurement detail appears in the info palette, followed by the relationship info (eg lines are parallel XX apart, lines intersect at angle XX, etc).Previously I had found that individual measurements worked OK, but the relationship feature seemed to work only intermittently. I'd never before been able to figure out exactly when it became enabled - shows I'm just slow on the uptake, I guess!regardsRowland-- : Wilma & Rowland Carson <http://home.clara.net/rowil/>: <rowil@clara.net> ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...
tkat@tkat.com

Re: measure tool

Post by tkat@tkat.com »

On May 28, 2005, at 8:43 AM, Rowland Carson wrote: > I've just discovered a feature of the measure tool that had puzzled> me previously.> Another trick of the measuring tool:I've been mess'n w/ the off-set arc pblm on my fork brace clamp off/on --- mostly off.Lemke pointed me @ this tool w/ some other instructions that I haven't quite been able to follow as of yet. But in click'n around I've discovered that by high light'n values in the pallet they are inserted into the prompt line.Example:W/ my dwg, sect view, construct a perpendicular line from the intersect of the chamfer line w/ the top surf. to the C/L of the top view.Select the measure tool and hi lite the arc. Next select Arc->center,point. The prompt will ask for the center co-ords. Highlite the X co-ord in info pallet. Next repeat w/ Y value. They will both be automatically be inserted in the prompt. Hit return. Then in auto mode click on the intersect point of the perp line & C/L. Enter a couple of angles for start/finish. Ta-Da!Trim and clean up as reqd.This is still cumbersome and clumsy. Nowhere as clean as an off-set function or an auto select of the center point of the 1st arc. But it's the easiest and most dependable way I've found so far.And if a'one knows how to set the default value in the measure info window to 3 decimals, I'd sure like to know.Tkat"Never let a dog guard your lunch --- or a cowboy make the coffee."
RowlandCarson

default decimals etc [was: measure tool]

Post by RowlandCarson »

At 2005-05-28 11:23 -0700 tkat@tkat.com wrote: >if a'one knows how to set the default value in the measure info>window to 3 decimals, I'd sure like to know Tkat - make a new drawing with all your preferences set, including Options / Display / Misc: Coordinate display = 3 & Input line = 3.Then save that as Stationery.Open it when you want to start a new drawing and it will come up as "untitled".But note that there seems to be a bug (Thorsten, are you listening?) with CADintosh stationery pads - the first time you save it, it will default to a stationery file again - you have to explicitly choose the plain vanilla CADintosh file type. My feeling is that when you open a stationery pad, the most likely thing you want to do is to create a new document, not to edit the stationery pad, and the fact that it acquires the filename "untitled" supports this view. Thus when you open a stationery pad it should default to being saved as a regular CADintosh file.Thanks for sharing the other info about the info palette too. Incidentally in your continued hunt for the centre of an arc - I just use a full circle instead of an arc if the centre is likely to be needed. I then cut away the parts of the circle I don't need, after I have used the circle centre point to position whatever else is needed.regardsRowland-- : Wilma & Rowland Carson <http://home.clara.net/rowil/>: <rowil@clara.net> ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...