First Post with File Upload

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo cadintoshmac group after the port.
Roland Morin

First Post with File Upload

Post by Roland Morin »

Hello all,After lurking and much procrastinating I finally decided to give it atry. First I would like to thank the other forum members, especiallyRowland and tkat, who's back and forth, pretty much got me off my duff and drawing. I'm afairly new convert to the Mac platform and have been looking for a reasonably priced CADprogram. It will be used primarily for non professional work. I'm mostly into HO modelrailroading, with way too many other interests.I'm writing this before I actually try to upload anything but theplan is to upload a 'practice' drawing and a couple of photos. The drawing is a copy of a somethingI drew up using AutoSketch, which is a very distant cousin of AutoCAD and runs onWinDoze.The uploaded drawing represents something like ten or twelve hours of'learning' CADintosh along with lots of coffee and way too many bathroom breaks.. .I'm nowhere close to comfortable with CADintosh yet, but I think Itried quite a few of CADintosh's various functions and it seems to be a fairly powerfuldrawing program with serious potential. I agree with tkat, one of the things it does needis an insert parallel function for arcs. One thing I want to do with it is model RR layoutdrawings and that feature will make drawing track a whole lot easier.I did loose control of layers, probably my fault, and gave up onlayers for this session. I also had it crash a couple of times, and I confess to dismissing thebug report feature as I was more interested in drawing. I will in the future cooperate andsend them in.For the record I'm running CADintosh on a G4 Power Book (12")(TigerOS) and I think I'm definitely going blind as a result <grin>. Need a bigger display, atleast for drawing. CADintosh is release 5.3.1.Think I'll shut up and try to upload this stuff.Roland
RowlandCarson

Re: First Post with File Upload

Post by RowlandCarson »

At 2005-05-30 02:09 +0000 Roland Morin wrote: >I'm mostly into HO model>railroading Roland - no doubt you'll have noticed the library file "Märklin M-Gleise" which appears to contain track layout segments. Probably not much use if you don't use Marklin track, or if you scratchbuild rather than use commercial track segments.I'll have a look at your uploaded file and see if I can offer any snesible comments.regardsRowland-- : Wilma & Rowland Carson <http://home.clara.net/rowil/>: <rowil@clara.net> ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...
tkat@tkat.com

Re: ....First Post

Post by tkat@tkat.com »

On May 29, 2005, at 7:09 PM, Roland Morin wrote: > Hello all,>> After lurking and much procrastinating I finally decided to give it a> try.  Hey! New blood & another "Roland".@ least w/ the variance in spell'n we won't hafta specify R1 or R2. ;^) >> ................ I'm a> fairly new convert to the Mac platform and have been looking for a > reasonably priced CAD> program......... Just wait 'til ya get go'n on the Mac. Ya'll wonder what took you so long. My Lady's on a PC w/ XP2 & when ever I visit I cry in frustration - W/ THE PC!! [sniffsniff]. That be'n said, I did hafta go buy a PC to run BobCAD as there doesn't seem to be any reasonable alternative for CAD/CAM on a Mac. >> .................I'm nowhere close to comfortable with CADintosh yet, > but I think I> tried quite a few of CADintosh's various functions and it seems to be > a fairly powerful> drawing program with serious potential.  Eyup. It's a seriously esoteric involved exercise in complexity. It's a fully loaded Kenworth 18 wheeler [that won't turn left] where all I want my old B Prod S.C.C.A. Tiger to get from point to point.Much too complex for my use. "Every thing to all people".But just keep bash'n @ it. For me, it's com'n slowly slowly --- a lot of right turns to go left. I can now sketch up client dwgs fairly quickly to re-dimension them in the form my CNC likes to see. Like start & end points of skew lines rather than start & angle.Also "midnight" mind buzz helps. Several times I've figured the ans to a pblm out that way. > I agree.......... it does need is an insert parallel> function for arcs.  One thing I want to do with it is model RR layout> drawings and that feature will make drawing track a whole lot easier. Hear, hear!! Rowland has a nice solution of do'n a circle to mark the ctr for the off-set arc. Still clumsy but doable.If I can break outta here @ a reasonable time 2nite [It's a bitch when yer yer own boss --- Mr. Legree can be a nasty S.O.B.] I'm gunna play w/ layers.How about hav'n a "construction" layer where ya can o'lay a circle on the arc of the actual dwg? Then, if the ctr will show and auto-select on the dwg layer, ya can do an Arc->ctr,point or Arc->ctr, rad [catch from previous pop up menu for same value [gauge]]. Then delete or hide const layer for final o/p.That shud work. A bit more refined but still not very elegant.OK, break's over --- back to the machine.Tkat,You might be a racer if................ You thoroughly enjoy showing the tailgater how to drive around a highway off-ramp.