CADintosh 5.3.2

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo cadintoshmac group after the port.
thorstenlemke

CADintosh 5.3.2

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello,CADintrosh 5.3.2 was released.You can download at http://www.lemkesoft.com/en/caddownload.htmThorsten
RowlandCarson

mac cad software options

Post by RowlandCarson »

At the risk of being excommunicated from this e-mail list for publicising a competitor's product, I would like to mention the appearance of TurboCAD for Mac. I know there has been discussion here in the past of what other relatively low-cost CAD software is available for the Mac, and I have contributed some of my own experiences with various packages.I'm not sure if many folk are still on this list, it's been so quiet for a while - but those who have been here some time may remember my expressed dissatisfaction with the ellipse tool in CADintosh. When I noticed just recently that TurboCAD (which seems to have been a very popular CAD package on Windows for some time) was now available for Mac, I downloaded a trial copy from the IMSI website.It is still at version 1.0, so has some minor bugs and some shortcomings; and although it has a similar tool palette appearance to CADintosh, it is sufficiently different in use to cause confusion when swapping between the two applications, until some experience is gained.The ellipse tool was the first thing I tried out and found that it does all I have asked for, and some other things I hadn't thought of. You can see my first attempts at using it, in a PDF on my website:<http://home.clara.net/rowil/aviation/plans/>Other aspects of TurboCAD compare less well with CADintosh; the symbol management seems pretty clunky, for instance. I think CADintosh's symbol library tools are excellent by comparison.There appears to be a well-established TurboCAD community online, but nothing yet that I can find directed specifically towards the Mac version.Despite the other shortcomings, I am sufficiently pleased with the ellipse tool to have forked out 82 UK pounds (to UK distributor Avanquest) for a full copy of TurboCAD.This does not mean that I am abandoning CADintosh - I have a significant number of CADintosh files that I do not want to convert, and passing them through the DXF format often seems to lose some nuance that is important to me. As it seems I'm the only one who has been clamouring for improvements to the CADintosh ellipse tool, I guess this removes any pressure Thorsten may have felt to develop that aspect of CADintosh, and he can concentrate on GraphicConverter.regardsRowland-- : Wilma & Rowland Carson <http://home.clara.net/rowil/>: <rowil@clara.net> ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...
Chuck Rice

Re: mac cad software options

Post by Chuck Rice »

It appears that neither program supports gcode file output which is what is needed to run lathes and milling machines. I can put up with other annoyances but I need to have it generate gcode files. The first one that does that gets my business. -Chuck-At 8:24 PM +0000 11/27/05, Rowland Carson wrote: >At the risk of being excommunicated from this e-mail list for>publicising a competitor's product, I would like to mention the>appearance of TurboCAD for Mac. I know there has been discussion here>in the past of what other relatively low-cost CAD software is>available for the Mac, and I have contributed some of my own>experiences with various packages.>>I'm not sure if many folk are still on this list, it's been so quiet>for a while - but those who have been here some time may remember my>expressed dissatisfaction with the ellipse tool in CADintosh. When I>noticed just recently that TurboCAD (which seems to have been a very>popular CAD package on Windows for some time) was now available for>Mac, I downloaded a trial copy from the IMSI website.>>It is still at version 1.0, so has some minor bugs and some>shortcomings; and although it has a similar tool palette appearance>to CADintosh, it is sufficiently different in use to cause confusion>when swapping between the two applications, until some experience is>gained.>>The ellipse tool was the first thing I tried out and found that it>does all I have asked for, and some other things I hadn't thought of.>You can see my first attempts at using it, in a PDF on my website:>><http://home.clara.net/rowil/aviation/plans/>>>Other aspects of TurboCAD compare less well with CADintosh; the>symbol management seems pretty clunky, for instance. I think>CADintosh's symbol library tools are excellent by comparison.>>There appears to be a well-established TurboCAD community online, but>nothing yet that I can find directed specifically towards the Mac>version.>>Despite the other shortcomings, I am sufficiently pleased with the>ellipse tool to have forked out 82 UK pounds (to UK distributor>Avanquest) for a full copy of TurboCAD.>>This does not mean that I am abandoning CADintosh - I have a>significant number of CADintosh files that I do not want to convert,>and passing them through the DXF format often seems to lose some>nuance that is important to me. As it seems I'm the only one who has>been clamouring for improvements to the CADintosh ellipse tool, I>guess this removes any pressure Thorsten may have felt to develop>that aspect of CADintosh, and he can concentrate on GraphicConverter.>>regards>>Rowland>-->: Wilma & Rowland Carson <http://home.clara.net/rowil/>>: <rowil@clara.net> ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...>>>>>Yahoo! Groups Links>>>>