Dimension question

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo cadintoshmac group after the port.
jroshima@aol.com

Dimension question

Post by jroshima@aol.com »

Rowland:I'm the one who recently joined the Cadintosh User's Group. I'll admit that I haven't yet fully explored the files section of the site. I do have one specific and another more general question. I sent the first question to the user's group, so you will probably get it that way also. It is this:When the program makes dimensions, it draws a line with arrow points at each end. At times, the points are "inside" the two lines being dimensioned, pointing outwards. At other times (more often) the points are "outside" the two lines, and are pointing in towards the center of the line. How do you control this difference? I've tried "Option > Dimensions" and the Line Ending menu at the bottom of the drawing.My more general question arises out of a considerable amount of frustration with Cadintosh that I've experienced as I've used it pretty intensively over the last two weeks. I am new to CAD, but I'm not new to computers, and Cadintosh strikes me as a pretty buggy program. At the very least, the "User's Guide" is a problem: seemingly out of date, very short on explanation, and just plain wrong in a number of places that I found. Unfortunately, I accidentally lost the list I was compiling of the problems. The program too is problematic. Tools suddenly don't work, until one quits the program and restarts. The "chamfer" tool started drawing UN-erasable circles around corners at one point. My real question is should I continue using Cadintosh, or make an investment that I wasn't planning on in a more expensive, better program. I know you can't answer that question for me; my question for you is: how does the program work for you, and is there anything (such as your own personal set of workarounds and bug fixes) that you can share that might help me?  Once again, thanks for your help and time.Jon Oshima
Richard Ellam

Re: Dimension question

Post by Richard Ellam »

Hi Jon and all in the groupI'm fairly new to the group, but have been using Cadintosh quite extensively for about three years. I'm now using the latest version of the software on a G4 mac mini running System 10.4 'Tiger', and I don't find that I have any real problems with it at all. I use both for 'hobby' drawings -I'm into model engineering and miniature railways in a big way - and for 'work' (I'm a freelance designer and maker of hands-on exhibts and science demonstration equipment). As to the question of dimension arrows Cadintosh follows good drawing office practise by placing the arrows inside the dimension lines facing outwards if there's enough room to fit the arrows and the dimension between the lines. If there isn't room for everything between the lines the arrows go outside pointing inwards, with the number centered between them. Changing the size of the text dimension text, using either the properties tool in the dimensions section of the tool palette, or 'text/note/item number' from the options menu will influence the programme's decision about how to arrange the dimension and arrows.Hope this helps, and that you can eradicate the bugsGood drawing!CheersRichard EllamL M InteractiveScience Shows and Hands-On StuffOn 20 Jan 2006, at 20:44, jroshima@aol.com wrote: Rowland: I'm the one who recently joined the Cadintosh User's Group. I'll admit that I haven't yet fully explored the files section of the site. I do have one specific and another more general question. I sent the first question to the user's group, so you will probably get it that way also. It is this: When the program makes dimensions, it draws a line with arrow points at each end. At times, the points are "inside" the two lines being dimensioned, pointing outwards. At other times (more often) the points are "outside" the two lines, and are pointing in towards the center of the line. How do you control this difference? I've tried "Option > Dimensions" and the Line Ending menu at the bottom of the drawing. My more general question arises out of a considerable amount of frustration with Cadintosh that I've experienced as I've used it pretty intensively over the last two weeks. I am new to CAD, but I'm not new to computers, and Cadintosh strikes me as a pretty buggy program. At the very least, the "User's Guide" is a problem: seemingly out of date, very short on explanation, and just plain wrong in a number of places that I found. Unfortunately, I accidentally lost the list I was compiling of the problems. The program too is problematic. Tools suddenly don't work, until one quits the program and restarts. The "chamfer" tool started drawing UN-erasable circles around corners at one point. My real question is should I continue using Cadintosh, or make an investment that I wasn't planning on in a more expensive, better program. I know you can't answer that question for me; my question for you is: how does the program work for you, and is there anything (such as your own personal set of workarounds and bug fixes) that you can share that might help me?  Once again, thanks for your help and time. Jon Oshima YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS  Visit your group "cadintoshmac" on the web.   To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: cadintoshmac-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com   Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.
jroshima@aol.com

Dimension question #2

Post by jroshima@aol.com »

Richard & User?s group:Thank you for your thoughtful reply, quickly done. I believe that it is working for you, and that it could for me as well, if I persist. Still, the question remains of where to invest my time: Cadintosh or another program. In the mean time I found out why I was having a problem. I was drawing an infinite line and using it to establish the two points to be dimensioned and as a guide for the location of the number. After finishing the dimension I would then delete the infintie line. It turns out that if a dimension is made it that way it always has points on the outside, regardless of the amount of space between the lines. Who knew?Jon
RowlandCarson

Re: Dimension question

Post by RowlandCarson »

At 2006-01-20 15:44 -0500 jroshima@aol.com wrote: >When the program makes dimensions, it draws a line with arrow points >at each end. At times, the points are "inside" the two lines being >dimensioned, pointing outwards. At other times (more often) the >points are "outside" the two lines, and are pointing in towards the >center of the line. How do you control this difference? Jon - sorry for my slow response - I'm on dialup & tend to check & upload mail only once or twice a day. I think Richard has answered this question already. >Cadintosh strikes me as a pretty buggy program What's your environment? Hardware, memory, OS version, CADintosh version? There could be unfortunate combinations of these causing problems.I've found the current version to be pretty stable and largely bug-free in the areas I've explored. It does have limitations in the implementation of the ellipse tool that I've been posting complaints about for ages .... >Tools suddenly don't work, until one quits the program and restarts. >The "chamfer" tool started drawing UN-erasable circles around >corners at one point I've not come across these behaviours. >should I continue using Cadintosh, or make an investment that I >wasn't planning on in a more expensive, better program For drawings that require elements constructed from elliptical arcs, I have started using TurboCAD Mac. It's at V1, so has a few bugs and raw edges. I have found it to be not so stable as CADintosh, and its symbol library, although more extensive online, seems poorly implemented by comparison with CADintosh. Also, I haven't figured out how to make layers work. The manual is misleading in some places and unhelpfully terse in others. There are a few things (such as ability to move objects by dragging, and the way lines appear as you drag) that actually seem more "Mac-like" than the way CADintosh does them. There are online forums for TurboCAD, but they are split into the different windoze versions, and there doesn't appear to be one dedicated to the Mac version yet. >how does the program work for you Apart from drawing partial ellipses, it seems very competent for the price and I am pleased with the way it works. >is there anything (such as your own personal set of workarounds and >bug fixes) that you can share that might help me? In v5.3.2 (OS X 10.3.9, 1GHz 15" Ti PowerBook, 1GB RAM) I haven't found any bugs that I need to work around. I do know that way back when I started using CADintosh (under System 7!) it seemed quite alien to my usual way of drawing things. I'd been looking for a replacement for ClarisDraw (which replaced MacDraw Pro, the short-lived expansion of MacDraw II). I'm still using ClarisDraw (which now seems much more stable under Classic in OS X than it had been in OS 8 before I switched from the 7100) to recover old files and think it's quite hard to beat in terms of good Mac interface and drafting capabilities. Anyway, the initial learning stage with CADintosh was quite hard for me, and it took quite some period of practice before I felt at all at ease with it, and had discovered how to do things "drafting" style rather than "MacDraw" style. Even now, I can find myself doing something "the hard way" without realising that CADintosh provides a "better way". I read the manual from time to time, but my memory lets me down!Sorry if this is a bit of a ramble - hope some of it is useful in your own decision-making.regardsRowland-- : Wilma & Rowland Carson <http://home.clara.net/rowil/>: <rowil@clara.net> ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...