Another problem

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo cadintoshmac group after the port.
jroshima@aol.com

Another problem

Post by jroshima@aol.com »

Cadintosh users:I'm now having a different problem with Cadintosh. My drawing was created with millimeters as the unit of measure -- I was copying from a paper drawing that was in mm. I am using inches as the alternate unit of measure. The issue is this:In: Options Menu - Dimensions - Global Settings the alternative unit is "inches". The factor (it came pre set) is .0394. But I think that this is wrong. The correct factor is .03937. When I input that number into the "Alternative Unit" field, I get correct conversions of the underlying millimeter measurements. BUT, if I open the "Dimensions" screen again for any reason, that field automatically reverts to .0394, resulting in incorrect measurements. For all I know, some other action may also cause the factor to revert. I'm only sure that I produced a drawing with mostly wrong measurements.Jon Oshima________________________________________________________________________Check out AOL.com today. Breaking news, video search, pictures, email and IM. All on demand. Always Free.
Richard Ellam

Re: Another problem

Post by Richard Ellam »

Hi JohnSpeaking as a practical machinist as well as a designer I'd stop worrying about this, because the difference between dimensions calculated using the two versions of the conversion factor is far too small to make any practical difference.But, for the record if you round 0.03937 up to 3 places of decimals you get 0.394. If you convert ten inches to mm using the exact conversion factor you get 254 mm. Using the 3 figure approximation you get 253.8 mm - an error of 0.2 mm (0.008 inches).In most applications this isn't enough to worry about. If you get obviously wrong values from the conversion process for dimensions you intend to be intergral numbers of inches you can always edit the dimensions manually - turn the 'mark inexact dimensions' feature off so you don't get annoying underlines on altered dimensions.Hope this helpsRichard EllamL M InteractiveScience Shows and Hands-On Stuff.On 23 Aug 2006, at 22:18, jroshima@aol.com wrote: Cadintosh users:I'm now having a different problem with Cadintosh. My drawing was created with millimeters as the unit of measure -- I was copying from a paper drawing that was in mm. I am using inches as the alternate unit of measure. The issue is this:In: Options Menu - Dimensions - Global Settings the alternative unit is "inches". The factor (it came pre set) is .0394. But I think that this is wrong. The correct factor is .03937. When I input that number into the "Alternative Unit" field, I get correct conversions of the underlying millimeter measurements. BUT, if I open the "Dimensions" screen again for any reason, that field automatically reverts to .0394, resulting in incorrect measurements. For all I know, some other action may also cause the factor to revert. I'm only sure that I produced a drawing with mostly wrong measurements.Jon Oshima__________________________________________________________Check out AOL.com today. Breaking news, video search, pictures, email and IM. All on demand. Always Free.
RowlandCarson

Re: Another problem

Post by RowlandCarson »

At 2006-08-23 17:18 -0400 jroshima@aol.com wrote: >In: Options Menu - Dimensions - Global Settings the alternative unit is>"inches". The factor (it came pre set) is .0394. But I think that this>is wrong. The correct factor is .03937. When I input that number into>the "Alternative Unit" field, I get correct conversions of the>underlying millimeter measurements. BUT, if I open the "Dimensions">screen again for any reason, that field automatically reverts to .0394,>resulting in incorrect measurements. For all I know, some other action>may also cause the factor to revert. I'm only sure that I produced a>drawing with mostly wrong measurements. Jon - things may not be as bad as you think. I've not used the alternative units option before, but I did the following experiment (in CADintosh X v5.3.2) to test its behaviour.Open new drawing with mm as standard unit. Set decimal places in dimensions dialogue to 3. Draw line 100mm long. Dimension it and it is labelled "100.000". Switch to alternative units. Dimension the same line again, it is now labelled "3.940Inch". Go to the dimensions dialoge and change the conversion factor to the true value of 0.03937 (although it still displays as 0.0394 when next viewed). Dimension the line again - it is now labelled "3.937Inch".My conclusion is that if you set the conversion factor to the true value before you create the dimensions, the values displayed will be correct, within the decimal places displayed.If you drew the objects to the correct sizes in mm, they will be OK. But in order to show their exact equivalent sizes in inches, you will need to delete all the dimensions (or those created before the converson was correctly set) and re-create them after setting the conversion factor to the correct value. At least this is less tedious than re-drawing everything!As I said, I have not used alternative units before, but I would be pleased if Thorsten could make the default conversion factor correct, irrespective of the number of decimal places displayed in the dialogue. It would be even better if more places were displayed in the dialogue box so that there was no doubt what factor was in use.regardsRowland-- : Wilma & Rowland Carson http://home.clara.net/rowil/: <rowil@clara.net> ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...
David Gaarder

unsubscribe

Post by David Gaarder »

DavidDavid A. Gaarder AIAUW School of Medicine and Public HealthMedical Sciences Center Rm. B871300 University AvenueMadison, WI 537061.608.262.1100FAX (608) 263-6463 On Aug 24, 2006, at 11:03 AM, Rowland Carson wrote:> At 2006-08-23 17:18 -0400 jroshima@aol.com wrote:>>> In: Options Menu - Dimensions - Global Settings the alternative unit >> is>> "inches". The factor (it came pre set) is .0394. But I think that this>> is wrong. The correct factor is .03937. When I input that number into>> the "Alternative Unit" field, I get correct conversions of the>> underlying millimeter measurements. BUT, if I open the "Dimensions">> screen again for any reason, that field automatically reverts to >> .0394,>> resulting in incorrect measurements. For all I know, some other action>> may also cause the factor to revert. I'm only sure that I produced a>> drawing with mostly wrong measurements.>> Jon - things may not be as bad as you think. I've not used the> alternative units option before, but I did the following experiment> (in CADintosh X v5.3.2) to test its behaviour.>> Open new drawing with mm as standard unit. Set decimal places in> dimensions dialogue to 3. Draw line 100mm long. Dimension it and it> is labelled "100.000". Switch to alternative units. Dimension the> same line again, it is now labelled "3.940Inch". Go to the dimensions> dialoge and change the conversion factor to the true value of 0.03937> (although it still displays as 0.0394 when next viewed). Dimension> the line again - it is now labelled "3.937Inch".>> My conclusion is that if you set the conversion factor to the true> value before you create the dimensions, the values displayed will be> correct, within the decimal places displayed.>> If you drew the objects to the correct sizes in mm, they will be OK.> But in order to show their exact equivalent sizes in inches, you will> need to delete all the dimensions (or those created before the> converson was correctly set) and re-create them after setting the> conversion factor to the correct value. At least this is less tedious> than re-drawing everything!>> As I said, I have not used alternative units before, but I would be> pleased if Thorsten could make the default conversion factor correct,> irrespective of the number of decimal places displayed in the> dialogue. It would be even better if more places were displayed in> the dialogue box so that there was no doubt what factor was in use.>> regards>> Rowland> -- > : Wilma & Rowland Carson http://home.clara.net/rowil/> : <rowil@clara.net> ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...>>>> Yahoo! Groups Links>>>>>>
keith_w

Re: unsubscribe

Post by keith_w »

David Gaarder wrote:Whoa!Why does this message have, as a Subject, "Re:unsubscribe?"could you *please* change the Subject line when you purposefully go astray?Thanks,keith whaley > /David> /David A. Gaarder AIA> UW School of Medicine and Public Health> Medical Sciences Center Rm. B87> 1300 University Avenue> Madison, WI 53706> > 1.608.262.1100> FAX (608) 263-6463 [Whew!] > On Aug 24, 2006, at 11:03 AM, Rowland Carson wrote:> > At 2006-08-23 17:18 -0400 jroshima@aol.com wrote:> > In: Options Menu - Dimensions - Global Settings the alternative> unit is> "inches". The factor (it came pre set) is .0394. But I think> that this> is wrong. The correct factor is .03937. When I input that number> into> the "Alternative Unit" field, I get correct conversions of the> underlying millimeter measurements. BUT, if I open the "Dimensions"> screen again for any reason, that field automatically reverts to> .0394,> resulting in incorrect measurements. For all I know, some other> action> may also cause the factor to revert. I'm only sure that I> produced a> drawing with mostly wrong measurements.> > > Jon - things may not be as bad as you think. I've not used the> alternative units option before, but I did the following experiment> (in CADintosh X v5.3.2) to test its behaviour.> > Open new drawing with mm as standard unit. Set decimal places in> dimensions dialogue to 3. Draw line 100mm long. Dimension it and it> is labelled "100.000". Switch to alternative units. Dimension the> same line again, it is now labelled "3.940Inch". Go to the dimensions> dialoge and change the conversion factor to the true value of 0.03937> (although it still displays as 0.0394 when next viewed). Dimension> the line again - it is now labelled "3.937Inch".> > My conclusion is that if you set the conversion factor to the true> value before you create the dimensions, the values displayed will be> correct, within the decimal places displayed.> > If you drew the objects to the correct sizes in mm, they will be OK.> But in order to show their exact equivalent sizes in inches, you will> need to delete all the dimensions (or those created before the> converson was correctly set) and re-create them after setting the> conversion factor to the correct value. At least this is less tedious> than re-drawing everything!> > As I said, I have not used alternative units before, but I would be> pleased if Thorsten could make the default conversion factor correct,> irrespective of the number of decimal places displayed in the> dialogue. It would be even better if more places were displayed in> the dialogue box so that there was no doubt what factor was in use.> > regards> > Rowland