Dual Dimensioning

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo cadintoshmac group after the port.
Ray

Dual Dimensioning

Post by Ray »

Is it possible to dual dimension with CADintosh? The primary units in mm, and the secondary units in inches, with both being displayed at the same time.Thank you,Ray
RowlandCarson

Re: Dual Dimensioning

Post by RowlandCarson »

At 2007-02-03 21:52 +0000 Ray wrote: >Is it possible to dual dimension with CADintosh?>>The primary units in mm, and the secondary units in inches, with >both being displayed at the>same time. Ray - I can't find a way to do that elegantly, but maybe Thorsten can correct me.Incidentally, a lot of your questions can be answered by looking in the manual - but maybe it doesn't come with the unregistered version? Seems unlikely - it's in Thorsten's interest to let people find out how to use the tool before they commit to registering.My kludge for ddual dimensioning would be to create a dimension in mm (as the standard unit) then use the Dimensions item of the options menu to change the unit from standard to alternate on the individual tab, then create a second dimension which will show in inches (assuming you have the units set up that way).You can choose to add extra text to every dimension, but that appears to be only static text - it would meet your requirements if you could have a formula in there that would evaluate to the dimension in the alternate units.Incidentally, my first attempt at the kludge approach was to make 2 dimensions in metric and then change the attributes of one from standard to alternate unit. This didn't appear to have any effect at all when I tried it. Thorsten, am I missing something? Shouldn't this change the displayed dimension from (say) "25.4" to "1 inch"?regardsRowland-- : Wilma & Rowland Carson http://home.clara.net/rowil/: <rowil@clara.net> ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...
Ray

Post by Ray »

--- In cadintoshmac@yahoogroups.com, Rowland Carson <rowil@...> wrote: >> At 2007-02-03 21:52 +0000 Ray wrote:> > >Is it possible to dual dimension with CADintosh?> >> >The primary units in mm, and the secondary units in inches, with > >both being displayed at the> >same time.> > Ray - I can't find a way to do that elegantly, but maybe Thorsten can > correct me.> > Incidentally, a lot of your questions can be answered by looking in > the manual - but maybe it doesn't come with the unregistered version? > Seems unlikely - it's in Thorsten's interest to let people find out > how to use the tool before they commit to registering.> > My kludge for ddual dimensioning would be to create a dimension in mm > (as the standard unit) then use the Dimensions item of the options > menu to change the unit from standard to alternate on the individual > tab, then create a second dimension which will show in inches > (assuming you have the units set up that way).> > You can choose to add extra text to every dimension, but that appears > to be only static text - it would meet your requirements if you could > have a formula in there that would evaluate to the dimension in the > alternate units.> > Incidentally, my first attempt at the kludge approach was to make 2 > dimensions in metric and then change the attributes of one from > standard to alternate unit. This didn't appear to have any effect at > all when I tried it. Thorsten, am I missing something? Shouldn't this > change the displayed dimension from (say) "25.4" to "1 inch"?> > regards> > Rowland> -- > : Wilma & Rowland Carson http://home.clara.net/rowil/> : <rowil@...> ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...> Hi Rowland,I have registered my copy of CADintosh about a week ago. I have read the manual that comes with the software, but couldn't find anything about "Dual Dimensioning". Should I contact Thorsten about this?Also when I try to change a dimensions attributes by going into the Dimensions section of the options menu to change the unit from standard to Alternate on the individual dimension, "Alternate" never stays selected. Is this a bug?Thank you,Ray Dauphinais
Ray

Post by Ray »

Hi Rowland,I've just sent support an e-mail with my dimensioning concerns. I'll let you know if anything comes of it.Thank you,Ray Dauphinais