File Conversion on Mac OS 9

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo cadintoshmac group after the port.
wyzardofdogz

File Conversion on Mac OS 9

Post by wyzardofdogz »

Hello Fellow Mac Users:I'm running El Dinosaur (G3 Mac, 300 MHz, OS 9.1) with v5.5.2 and I was wondering if there is a DXF to JPG or PDF converter available for this configuration. I'm using CADintosh to create line drawings on graphs for ceiling designs but most people seem to use Window$ and I need to find a more universal way to make my drawings available for all OS's to view. Also, I'm very new to the world of CAD and I noticed that when I save as DXF, all of the hatched areas of the drawing are gone. The drawings I am producing need to have the filled areas included as this shows the contrast between the painted and textured areas of the ceiling. Any input would be appreciated. If I have to, I can send them to my bro' who's an engineer and can use Window$ to convert them, but I love my Mac and I'd like to be able to do it myself. Gracias, wyzardofdogz
Ray

Re: File Conversion on Mac OS 9

Post by Ray »

--- In cadintoshmac@yahoogroups.com, "wyzardofdogz" <wyzardofdogz@...> wrote: >> Hello Fellow Mac Users:> > I'm running El Dinosaur (G3 Mac, 300 MHz, OS 9.1) with v5.5.2 > and I was wondering if there is a DXF to JPG or PDF converter > available for this configuration. I'm using CADintosh to create > line drawings on graphs for ceiling designs but most people > seem to use Window$ and I need to find a more universal way to > make my drawings available for all OS's to view. Also, I'm very > new to the world of CAD and I noticed that when I save as DXF, > all of the hatched areas of the drawing are gone. The drawings I > am producing need to have the filled areas included as this > shows the contrast between the painted and textured areas of > the ceiling. Any input would be appreciated. If I have to, I can > send them to my bro' who's an engineer and can use Window$ > to convert them, but I love my Mac and I'd like to be able to do it > myself.> > Gracias,> > wyzardofdogz> I often want to send someone a print of a drawing but I do not know what software (or OS) they are running, so I send a PDF.I do this by going to the print dialouge, and choosing "Save as a PDF" option. I am using OSX 10.4.8, and I don't know if this option is available in version 9.1.
RowlandCarson

Re: File Conversion on Mac OS 9

Post by RowlandCarson »

At 2007-02-06 16:22 +0000 wyzardofdogz wrote: >I'm running El Dinosaur (G3 Mac, 300 MHz, OS 9.1) with v5.5.2>and I was wondering if there is a DXF to JPG or PDF converter>available for this configuration wyzardofdogz - you might try the excellent shareware PrintToPDF which I found very useful (on my 66MHz 7100 with OS 8), before I moved to new hardware with OS X where PDF creation is built-in. The last e-mail release announcement (v2.4.4) I had from the creator James Walker was back in 2002. His website was then at:http://www.jwwalker.com/PrintToPDF works like another print driver that you install in the Extensions folder of the System Folder, and select with the Chooser. Obviously his potential market has reduced greatly since OS X, but he may still be around. I occasionally still use PrintToPDF under Classic when I want to archive something that's not otherwise accessible to any OS X application. I seem to remember that PrintToPDF worked satisfactorily with CADintosh. There were some minor problems with some other applications, but James tried to solve them where possible. >I noticed that when I save as DXF,>all of the hatched areas of the drawing are gone I've had varying amounts of grief with the DXF format, and some success. It has many different versions, and backwards-compatibilty doesn't seem to figure large with whoever changes the specifications. It may be that the particular version of DXF used by CADintosh doesn't support area fills - or perhaps not in the way that CADintosh implements them. Perhaps Thorsten might have the definitive word on this - but he tends to be very busy on the GraphicConverter list and spends less time here. As GC apparently sells much more widely than CADintosh, I can understand his need to focus on the stuff that keeps the wolf from the door.Hope this helps..regardsRowland-- : Wilma & Rowland Carson http://home.clara.net/rowil/: <rowil@clara.net> ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...