Re: beginners woes

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo cadintoshmac group after the port.
RowlandCarson

Post by RowlandCarson »

At 2007-05-02 06:08 +0000 glennm45 wrote: >I have noticed that you appear to be quite knowledgable about CADintosh Glenn - thanks for your kind words - maybe it just looks that way because I talk too much, as I'm sure there are others much more knowledgeable than me.I'm replying to the CADintosh e-mail list as well as to your own address - it may be of some use to others to have these exchanges in the public domain. >Symbol libraries -- none came with the program I'm sure there was at least a demo library with my copy. however, I have downloaded others from the lemkesoft website - I quote here from the documentation for it:= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =The following symbol librarys are available:Drawing tools Frames and headers Oberflächenzeichen Welding notesVerbindungsmittel HEX-Nut HEX-Skrew HEX-Bolt Schlitzschrauben Zylinderschrauben Schloßschrauben Cylindric Pins SplinteRow Material Beams Winkel Channel Z-Stahl Krane rails SonderprofileSmybols Hydraulic symbols Eletric symbols Procedure symbolsArchitectureVehiclesHumansSignThe librarys are available from http://www.lemkesoft.com= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =Incidentally, I observe from the content of some libraries that Thorsten (or someone close to him) is a model railway fanatic - there is one library dedicated to Marklin rail sections. >I created one of common house plan>symbols, but now I want to use them at a >different scale that they were created at and >when I>use them in the new drawing they are like minatures-- way to small I've not come across that problem as I haven't tried to use symbols in drawings at scales different to those in which the symbols were created. Have you tried, after inserting the symbol into your drawing, using the "change attributes" item from the "symbol" menu? That allows you to change the X & Y scaling of the selected symbol, and to rotate it.That's OK for one-offs. but long-term, I suspect you may need to generate libraries in all the scales you frequently use. I am open to correction on that. There's probably an easy way to change the scale of existing symbols, but I don't know it off the top of my head.BTW, I think you can submit your libraries for inclusion in the lemkesoft website. If you think others might like to avoid re-inventing the wheel, you could do that as a public service. You can also upload files to the Yahoo group server; but for libraries I think the lemkesoft site would be a better central clearing-house. >I am having major problems with scale. My >drawings need to be in feet/inches and need to>be drawn/dimensioned using fractions. Haven't figured that one out yet. I suspect that as Thorsten lives in a metric country, he does not have wide experience with the imperial system and so some aspects of that may not be as satisfactory as the metric units. Although Margaret Thatcher prematurely turned off the UK's change to the metric system, we are slowly getting there, and I almost always find it easier to draw in metric units. I have little experience of using imperial units in CADintosh, and would defer to someone more practised to give definitive advice. However, it appears that all I have to do to get drawings dimensioned in feet, inches and fractions of an inch, is as follows:From "options" menu choose "drawing..." and select "unit of the complete drawing" to be "foot", "type" to be "fraction" and "unit of dialogue edit fields" to be "inch".From "options" menu choose "dimension..." and select the "creation" tab. Choose the "type" to be "fraction" and the precision as required. >You mention a manual. All I have access to is >the Introduction and the User Guide - neither>of which would qualify as a manual. I worked >through the Introduction successfully, and the>User Guide is just that -- a guide. Is there >something more comprehensive out there. I think Thorsten says in his documentation that it is _not_ meant to teach people how to use a CAD program - but I've not seen any resource that does set out to teach such skills. There's probably something published (or maybe even courses you can go on) for AutoCAD users, but that is probably so specific to the AutoCAD tools and feature-set that it would be of little use to a CADintosh user.I know that while some things are common to many CAD applications, many of the things I've learnt in CADintosh do not transfer across to TurboCAD Mac (& vice versa). The user community of each application is probably not big enough to justify a commercially-produced manual going into more detail than what Thorsten's already does.Hagen Henke has produced a great manual for Thorsten's other product, GraphicConverter. I guess that is the sort of thing you're looking for, which not only tells you the basic functions of the program, but how to use them to achieve many useful things.For now, probably the best way forward is to ask for help when you come across a specific problem. That way, the archives of the list will gradually develop into something more useful. >I'm glad to know that there is a support group out there I suggest that you direct future queries to <cadintoshmac@yahoogroups.com>; that will reach the most people who use CADintosh, and will get archived for future searches.regardsRowland-- : Wilma & Rowland Carson http://home.clara.net/rowil/: <rowil@clara.net> ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...
glennm45

Post by glennm45 »

Haven't had a chance to try all your suggestions, but I did try to find the Libraries on the website but had no luck whatsoever. Couldn't find anything that resembled free downloadable libraries.Thank you for taking the time to respond to my troubles. Right now the scale thing is my biggest problem. I made a drawing of my house(1/4" to 1' I thought) and then discovered it was going to take almost 2000 8.5 x 11 to print it out. Not optimal!Will keep you informed.glenn
keith_w

Post by keith_w »

glennm45 wrote: > Haven't had a chance to try all your suggestions, but I did try to find the Libraries on the > website but had no luck whatsoever. Couldn't find anything that resembled free > downloadable libraries.> > Thank you for taking the time to respond to my troubles. Right now the scale thing is my > biggest problem. I made a drawing of my house(1/4" to 1' I thought) and then discovered it > was going to take almost 2000 8.5 x 11 to print it out. Not optimal!> > Will keep you informed.> > glenn Being an old architectural board designer, I felt a challenge, and ran a few numbers.At the 1/4" = 1'0" scale, I figured a 40 foot side of a house would take up 10" of drawing space!So, you have something seriously wrong on the design scale.Square root of 2000 will give you the side of a square piece of paper, so let's assume you have about 45 x 45 pieces of paper laid in a square pattern.That's about 30 feet on the side, in plain paper alone!So, dig into your scaling efforts. Something amiss there!Maybe you plugged in 1/4 foot = 1.0 foot, or in other words, 3" = 1'-0"A good scale for some details but lousy for a plat plan! :-)Good luck!keith whaleySeems that would account for the messed up calculation by the printer.
Jon Guyer

Post by Jon Guyer »

On May 5, 2007, at 4:18 PM, keith_w wrote: > Being an old architectural board designer, I felt a challenge, and > ran a> few numbers.> At the 1/4" = 1'0" scale, I figured a 40 foot side of a house would > take> up 10" of drawing space!> So, you have something seriously wrong on the design scale.>> Square root of 2000 will give you the side of a square piece of paper,> so let's assume you have about 45 x 45 pieces of paper laid in a > square> pattern.>> That's about 30 feet on the side, in plain paper alone!>> So, dig into your scaling efforts. Something amiss there!>> Maybe you plugged in 1/4 foot = 1.0 foot, or in other words, 3" = > 1'-0"> A good scale for some details but lousy for a plat plan! :-) Setting any scale in a CAD program is just crazy. When taking pencil to paper, of course you need to choose a scale, but with CAD, let the software do the work for you. I draw everything at 1:1 and then choose a print scale (or lots of different print scales) to capture the level of detail that I'm interested in. Part of the reason I do this is because I can never remember for sure (at least until after my printer has chewed through 2000 pieces of paper!) whether I've got 1/4" = 1' or 1' = 1/4". If I've actually scaled my drawing, I'm stuck and I have to redo everything. On the other hand, if it's just the print scale, I can preview before I actually waste all that paper, and if I've got the scale backwards (and I always do), I can just change the print scale.
Bill Brown

Post by Bill Brown »

>>Setting any scale in a CAD program is just crazy. When taking pencil >to paper, of course you need to choose a scale, but with CAD, let the >software do the work for you. I draw everything at 1:1 and then >choose a print scale (or lots of different print scales) to capture >the level of detail that I'm interested in. Part of the reason I do >this is because I can never remember for sure (at least until after >my printer has chewed through 2000 pieces of paper!) whether I've got >1/4" = 1' or 1' = 1/4". If I've actually scaled my drawing, I'm stuck >and I have to redo everything. On the other hand, if it's just the >print scale, I can preview before I actually waste all that paper, >and if I've got the scale backwards (and I always do), I can just>change the print scale. Ok - that sounds like a valid argument. Now what I haven't managed tofigure out is, "In cadintoshmac, how does one set the scale for printing?"I've gone 'round and 'round on this but have never managed figure it out,or get it right more than once in a gross of tries.I always end up trying to use the value in the printer set-up dialog forscale, which is a rather crude and inexact way of doing it. Especiallywhen one is trying to work to a scale like 1:87.1 or 3.5mm = 1' (1.148%),for instance.Clearly I'm missing something!-- --+---+ \/ -bill ++---+ :[]]:_^_[] gearedloco2001@yahoo.com _:____+-+___:____:_ Modesto, CA : o+o +-+ <>--<>-= \ Amazing Grace - C-250 #302
Jon Guyer

Post by Jon Guyer »

On May 6, 2007, at 1:04 PM, Bill Brown wrote: > Ok - that sounds like a valid argument. Now what I haven't managed to> figure out is, "In cadintoshmac, how does one set the scale for > printing?"> I've gone 'round and 'round on this but have never managed figure > it out,> or get it right more than once in a gross of tries. File > Area > Select Area with (Window:Page)thenFile > Area > Options
glennm45

Post by glennm45 »

> Setting any scale in a CAD program is just crazy. When taking pencil > to paper, of course you need to choose a scale, but with CAD, let the > software do the work for you. I draw everything at 1:1 and then > choose a print scale (or lots of different print scales) to capture > the level of detail that I'm interested in. Part of the reason I do > this is because I can never remember for sure (at least until after > my printer has chewed through 2000 pieces of paper!) whether I've got > 1/4" = 1' or 1' = 1/4". If I've actually scaled my drawing, I'm stuck > and I have to redo everything. On the other hand, if it's just the > print scale, I can preview before I actually waste all that paper, > and if I've got the scale backwards (and I always do), I can just > change the print scale. OK, I understand what you are doing, but how do you get correct dimensions. And the 1:1- is it 1'=1' or 1" = 1'. I need dimensions that are in feet and inches.glenn
Jon Guyer

Post by Jon Guyer »

On May 6, 2007, at 8:25 PM, glennm45 wrote: > OK, I understand what you are doing, but how do you get correct > dimensions. And the 1:1-> is it 1'=1' or 1" = 1'. I need dimensions that are in feet and > inches. 1' = 1'. 1" = 1". 1 km = 1 km.Simply use the measurements you want.
RowlandCarson

Post by RowlandCarson »

At 2007-05-07 00:25 +0000 glennm45 wrote: >how do you get correct dimensions. And the 1:1->is it 1'=1' or 1" = 1'. I need dimensions that are in feet and inches Glenn - I wonder if you tried the suggestion I made in my earlier reply:It appears that all I have to do to get drawings dimensioned in feet,inches and fractions of an inch, is as follows: From "options" menu choose "drawing..." and select "unit of the complete drawing" to be "foot", "type" to be "fraction" and "unit of dialogue edit fields" to be "inch". From "options" menu choose "dimension..." and select the "creation" tab. Choose the "type" to be "fraction" and the precision as required.If you've tried this, what result do you get, if not objects in feet and inches?Incidentally, the screen with drawing, nnumber, description, and scale (among many other items) that appears every time you create a new document in CADinttosh is purely text recorded for information, and has no influence on the actual scale of the drawing. You can leave the fields all blank and it doesn't appear to affect the drawing at all.regardsRowland-- : Wilma & Rowland Carson http://home.clara.net/rowil/: <rowil@clara.net> ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...