Vanishing Toolboxes & Palettes in Cadintosh 5.5.3

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo cadintoshmac group after the port.
AlexN

Vanishing Toolboxes & Palettes in Cadintosh 5.5.3

Post by AlexN »

Hi there,I'm new to this group, and relatively new to actually using Cadintosh,although I have had a licence for it for getting on for four years now.I recently decided that I should bite the bullet and start learningthe program!After about 15 minutes using Cadintosh, the Toolbox, and any otherpalette that happens to be open, suddenly vanish, although the mainwindow and the drawing (and refresh) are unaffected.I suspect that VirtueDesktops may be one of the culprits here, but Ithought that I had better check here as well (a search of the Grouparchives doesn't show anything relating to this).Turning Virtue off doesn't seem to prevent the palettes fromdisappearing, however; although there could be stuff still loaded intomemory persisting after Virtue has quit, that is snarling things up.System is a G5 Powermac 1.6 GHz PPC, 2MB RAM, OSX 10.4.11, ATI Radeon9600/256 MB display adapter and Apple Cinema display running at 1680 x1050 x 32-bit. Note that none of the "Unsanity" haxies are installed ;).GraphicConverter 6.0.3, on the other hand, trundles along happily onthe same system without a murmur.
Kevin Kemball

Re: Vanishing Toolboxes & Palettes in Cadintosh 5.5.3

Post by Kevin Kemball »

Hi;Just to say that I don't have this problem.I DO have MOST of the Unsanity haxies installed on a Blue & White G3 (PPC) 400 MHz896Mb RAMOS X 10.4.11ATI radeon 9200LE 256Mb.Have you tried disabling Virtue Desk so that it doesn't start at login.Restart into single user mode & run Applejack (to clear caches & VM).Restart, login, then try Cadintosh again?This would isolate the Virtue Desktop idea somewhat.If Cadintosh works now, enable Virtue, restart & try again.If Cadintosh still works, then there is something else going on.If Cad doesn't work then you know the culprit.Regards,KevinMontreal, Quebec, Canada --- In cadintoshmac@yahoogroups.com, "alx1n" <anewman@...> wrote:>> After about 15 minutes using Cadintosh, the Toolbox, and any other> palette that happens to be open, suddenly vanish, although the main> window and the drawing (and refresh) are unaffected. > Turning Virtue off doesn't seem to prevent the palettes from> disappearing, however; although there could be stuff still loaded into> memory persisting after Virtue has quit, that is snarling things up.> > System is a G5 Powermac 1.6 GHz PPC, 2MB RAM, OSX 10.4.11, ATI Radeon> 9600/256 MB display adapter and Apple Cinema display running at 1680 x> 1050 x 32-bit. Note that none of the "Unsanity" haxies are installed ;).> > GraphicConverter 6.0.3, on the other hand, trundles along happily on> the same system without a murmur.>
AlexN

Re: Vanishing Toolboxes & Palettes in Cadintosh 5.5.3

Post by AlexN »

Hi Kevin, >Just to say that I don't have this problem.>I DO have MOST of the Unsanity haxies installed on a Blue & >White G3 (PPC) 400 MHz>896Mb RAM>OS X 10.4.11>ATI radeon 9200LE 256Mb. I got fed up with Mailsmith complaining that it was Unsanity’s fault every time I had a power failure, so I unhooked them, including APE. A few other unexplained problems went away when I did that anyway. >Have you tried disabling Virtue Desk so that it doesn't start at login.>Restart into single user mode & run Applejack (to clear caches & VM).>Restart, login, then try Cadintosh again?>>This would isolate the Virtue Desktop idea somewhat.>If Cadintosh works now, enable Virtue, restart & try again.>If Cadintosh still works, then there is something else going on.>If Cad doesn't work then you know the culprit. Thanks for the tips. I’d forgotten about Applejack (installed it a while ago now ;).I’m crossing my fingers that it’s not a Virtue problem, as I don’t think I could now use my Mac without it! And I’m not about to install Leopard - even for its “Spaces” - any time soon <shudders>. >> After about 15 minutes using Cadintosh, the Toolbox, and any other>> palette that happens to be open, suddenly vanish, although the main>> window and the drawing (and refresh) are unaffected.>>> Turning Virtue off doesn't seem to prevent the palettes from>> disappearing, however; although there could be stuff still loaded into>> memory persisting after Virtue has quit, that is snarling things up. <snip...>Cheers,Alex.