merging two files

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo cadintoshmac group after the port.
mwr1026

merging two files

Post by mwr1026 »

I have a file that I have been working on for a while. Yesterday Ireceived a file in HXF format and imported it into CADintosh as a newCADintosh file. I would like to put the contents of the new file intoan area of the original file since the two contain information aboutthe same project. There is a menu choice for copying an area to the clipboard, but Ihave not yet discovered a way to paste the clipboard into theCADintosh workspace. ...or is there a better way to merge these two files?
mwr1026

Re: merging two files

Post by mwr1026 »

I found a way to get it done, since the new file was relativelysimple. I created a set of symbols that I moved to a library, theninto the target file. I re-scaled the inserted symbols, then explodedthem. I am still getting an error stating that the scale of there-scaled and exploded elements is different from the current scale,but at least I have the content in the right file now. I'd still like to know how all this compares to the "right" way to dothis, if there is one.
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Re: [cadintoshmac] Re: merging two files Hello,You can use Open 2nd for this.ThorstenDatum: Wed, 28 May 2008 17:05:29 -0000An: <cadintoshmac@yahoogroups.com>Betreff: [cadintoshmac] Re: merging two files  I found a way to get it done, since the new file was relativelysimple.  I created a set of symbols that I moved to a library, theninto the target file.  I re-scaled the inserted symbols, then explodedthem.  I am still getting an error stating that the scale of there-scaled and exploded elements is different from the current scale,but at least I have the content in the right file now.  I'd still like to know how all this compares to the "right" way to dothis, if there is one.            .    
mwr1026

Post by mwr1026 »

I tried "open 2nd" and it didn't appear to work. But later I realizedthat the problem is the extremely differing scales of the twodrawings. Both are in "imperial units" because that's how you haveto work if you are going to do architectural drawings in the U.S. andexpect anyone here to talk to you. But my original drawing is set sothat an 8.5 x 11 inch page view fits my screen at about .48 scale. at.48 scale, the imported components are smaller than a pixel. If Icreate a group containing the new elements and re-scale that group to500 it is proportionate to the contents of the original file which arestill scaled at .48. So the elements of the new drawing are invisibly small when importedinto the original. I just couldn't find them. I had a similar problemwhen I converted them to symbols and brought them in that way. I'mhaving a little trouble understanding how to get all the elementsscaled the same from the two different sources so they are easy towork with in a single file. If someone can walk me through this step by step I would appreciate it.