Newbie question

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo cadintoshmac group after the port.
tdstoneberg

Newbie question

Post by tdstoneberg »

Just bought Cadintosh. I would like to make rectangles whose lines and endpoint are "catchable." I'm presuming by exploding I could do that as well as make them into a symbol that would stay "grouped" together. I know that I could use the line tools to do it. But it seems like a bit more work than just using the rounded rectangle tool. The users guide says that the rounded rectangle can be "Explod with function 4.12.8."But I can't find any function 4.12.8 in the guide.Also is there any way to fill a figure with a color (such as white) so that when placed on top of other elements it hides them.Thanks for any help.
RowlandCarson

Re: Newbie question

Post by RowlandCarson »

At 2008-06-02 00:47 +0000 tdstoneberg wrote: >I would like to make rectangles whose lines and endpoint are>"catchable." I'm presuming by exploding I could do that as well as >make them into a symbol>that would stay "grouped" together. I know that I could use the line >tools to do it. But it>seems like a bit more work than just using the rounded rectangle >tool. The users guide says>that the rounded rectangle can be "Explod with function 4.12.8.">>But I can't find any function 4.12.8 in the guide. TD - (sorry if my guess at your name is wrong) what you need to explode the round-cornered rectangle is the "explode polyline" tool. It is in the 2nd-from-last section of the tool palette (with the palette arranged as a single vertical column). If you watch the data entry line at bottom left of your drawing window when selecting tools from the palette you will see a description of each tool as you select it. >Also is there any way to fill a figure with a color (such as white) >so that when placed on top of>other elements it hides them. I thought you might be able to do this with a grayscale fill set to 0% but it looks like not from a quick test - other elements are not hidden by a grayscale fill.In the past I have just used trimming to remove unwanted lines where they intersect the edge of another object.Hope this helps.regardsRowland-- : Wilma & Rowland Carson http://home.clara.net/rowil/: <rowil@clara.net> ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...
tdstoneberg

Post by tdstoneberg »

--- In cadintoshmac@yahoogroups.com, Rowland Carson <rowil@...> wrote: >> At 2008-06-02 00:47 +0000 tdstoneberg wrote:> > >I would like to make rectangles whose lines and endpoint are> >"catchable." I'm presuming by exploding I could do that as well as > >make them into a symbol> >that would stay "grouped" together. I know that I could use the line > >tools to do it. But it> >seems like a bit more work than just using the rounded rectangle > >tool. The users guide says> >that the rounded rectangle can be "Explod with function 4.12.8."> >> >But I can't find any function 4.12.8 in the guide.> > TD - (sorry if my guess at your name is wrong) what you need to > explode the round-cornered rectangle is the "explode polyline" tool. > It is in the 2nd-from-last section of the tool palette (with the > palette arranged as a single vertical column). If you watch the data > entry line at bottom left of your drawing window when selecting tools > from the palette you will see a description of each tool as you > select it.> > >Also is there any way to fill a figure with a color (such as white) > >so that when placed on top of> >other elements it hides them.> > I thought you might be able to do this with a grayscale fill set to > 0% but it looks like not from a quick test - other elements are not > hidden by a grayscale fill.> > In the past I have just used trimming to remove unwanted lines where > they intersect the edge of another object.> > Hope this helps.> > regards> > Rowland> -- > : Wilma & Rowland Carson http://home.clara.net/rowil/> : <rowil@...> ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...> Thanks for the quick response. (The name is Terry BTW, but TD or anything else is fine, I'm not fussy.) I've opened your Harmony.CAD from Files>Problems. Would you tell me how you got the color to fill the shapes. I can't figure out how to do that. Even if lines show through afterward, I'd like to be able to use color in some situations.Thanks in advance,Terry
RowlandCarson

Post by RowlandCarson »

Attachments :At 2008-06-02 23:08 +0000 tdstoneberg wrote: >I've opened your Harmony.CAD from Files>Problems. Would you tell me how>you got the color to fill the shapes. I can't >figure out how to do that. Even if lines show>through afterward, I'd like to be able to use color in some situations Terry - it's correct that I put that file in the archives, but I didn't originate it. It was posted as an attachment to a message on the GraphicConverter list, by Ivo ·lár <ivo.slar@slar.cz>, and I tried to help by putting the file in a more suitable place.Now that I look at it, I really don't know how he got that colour fill. I just tried to do something similar and could not even make one line change colour. I know that was working before, as I have previously made drawings with different coloured lines (I opened an old one to make sure), so I think there must be a bug in the colour system in both of the version I have installed (5.5.3 & 6X).Thorsten, if you're listening, here attached (in colour_line.png) is what happens when I try to change the colour of a single line. Behaviour is the same in both 5.5.3 and 6X.I created a few lines, chose the edit tool, clicked on one line, clicked on the colour box in the "Edit line" dialogue which brought up the standard Apple colour choosers. I chose a green and closed the colour dialgue box, then clicked on the "Apply" button. That brought up the error dialoge box complaining that start and end point have to be different. The other box shows that they are different, so what's going on?Also, several items in the 2005-03-04 User Manual (including the change colour entry) point to chapter 5.7.12, which does not exist in my copy, it only goes to 5.1.3 & then 6.regardsRowland-- : Wilma & Rowland Carson http://home.clara.net/rowil/: <rowil@clara.net> ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...