snap to a grid or to another close element

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo cadintoshmac group after the port.
Ric Barline

snap to a grid or to another close element

Post by Ric Barline »

I have a question dealing with constraining element endpoints to snap to a grid or to another close element. What I am finding is that when moving elements by selecting a reference point with the cursor, I can get very close to my desired location, but still off by a few hundredths of an inch. I would like the program to just snap to the closest corner or endpoint. I have read the manual but can't find how to do this. I see something called "Snap to grid" on page 84, but this menu item does not appear under the Options menu in my version of CADintosh. Any ideas?
RowlandCarson

Re: snap to a grid or to another close element

Post by RowlandCarson »

At 2009-02-09 15:10 -0800 Ric Barline wrote: >I have a question dealing with constraining element endpoints to snap >to a grid or to another close element. What I am finding is that when >moving elements by selecting a reference point with the cursor, I can >get very close to my desired location, but still off by a few >hundredths of an inch. I would like the program to just snap to the >closest corner or endpoint Ric - there are 4 icons at the right-hand end of the strip at the bottom left of the CADintosh window. Whichever one of these is selected controls the "snap-to" behaviour. You can click on one to select it or just use the tab key to move between them.The first one is no snap, which may be what you've got now.The second one is snap to a line intersection.The third one is snap to the end or the middle of a line.The 4th one which I use most is auto-snap which highlights (with a red circle & crosshairs) any significant point nearby. You may have to zoom in to get the exact point you want if there are many elements close together. >I see something called "Snap to grid" on page 84, but this>menu item does not appear under the Options menu in my version of >CADintosh The manual does not match your version! I see the same in my manual, whichis for V5.3, but I'm running CADintosh 6.0.1. Apparently the manual is lagging the software a bit.Hope this helpsregardsRowland-- : Rowland Carson http://home.clara.net/rowil/: <rowil@clara.net> ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...
Ric Barline

Post by Ric Barline »

Thanks Rowland. I tried what you suggested. and it worked! Many thanks!!! I wondered what these icons represented. I searched the manual and found on page 8 at the bottom the following:2.1.28 Selection ModeThere are three selection modes:1. Freehand/Snap to Grid ( ) - The selection point will be the grid point nearest to your mouse-click.2. Intersect ( ) - The selection point will be the intersection of two objects.3. Middle/End ( ) - The selection point will be either the middle or the endpoint of an object, depending upon which is closer to the click point.You are right that they are behind in the documentation, since it says nothing about the forth mode, "automatic mode". 
Ric Barline

Post by Ric Barline »

I just read the document "CADintosh Introduction.pdf" and there on page 5 it explains a little about these buttons. It reads:"You define the catch mode with the four boxes 11 to 14 on the right. Click the right-hand box of the four (14) if it has not been selected yet."They are referring to the four mode setting tools that you talked about. So it appears that the manual is out of date but the Introduction is up to date.
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Attachments :Re: [cadintoshmac] Re: snap to a grid or to another close element Hi,Thanks. We will update that for the next release.ThorstenVon: Ric Barline <rbarline@mac.com>Antworten an: <cadintoshmac@yahoogroups.com>Datum: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 15:10:14 -0800An: <cadintoshmac@yahoogroups.com>Betreff: [cadintoshmac] Re: snap to a grid or to another close element  I just read the document "CADintosh Introduction.pdf" and there on  page 5 it explains a little about these buttons. It reads:"You define the catch mode with the four boxes 11 to 14 on the right.  Click the right-hand box of the four (14) if it has not been selected  yet."They are referring to the four mode setting tools that you talked  about. So it appears that the manual is out of date but the  Introduction is up to date.              .    
RowlandCarson

Post by RowlandCarson »

At 2009-02-11 09:03 +0100 Thorsten Lemke wrote: >We will update that for the next release Thorsten - any idea of timescale for that? I have found a number of problems with v6.0.1 that I should have reported before now, but have been too busy getting things done to bother.I'll try to collect my memories and let you have my feedback as soon as I can, so that you can have an opportunity to address them in the next release.regardsRowland-- : Rowland Carson http://home.clara.net/rowil/: <rowil@clara.net> ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Attachments :Re: [cadintoshmac] Re: snap to a grid or to another close element Hello Rowland,I have scheduled the next update for the end of February.ThorstenVon: Rowland Carson <rowil@clara.net>Antworten an: <cadintoshmac@yahoogroups.com>Datum: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 08:34:43 +0000An: <cadintoshmac@yahoogroups.com>Betreff: Re: [cadintoshmac] Re: snap to a grid or to another close element  At 2009-02-11 09:03 +0100 Thorsten Lemke wrote: >We will update that for the next release Thorsten - any idea of timescale for that? I have found a number of problems with v6.0.1 that I should have reported before now, but have been too busy getting things done to bother.I'll try to collect my memories and let you have my feedback as soon as I can, so that you can have an opportunity to address them in the next release.regardsRowland--       .