Symbolical

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo cadintoshmac group after the port.
Ken Gillett

Symbolical

Post by Ken Gillett »

I have some problems with symbols, I hope someone can provide a solution and/or tell me it's a known bug.Some symbols in the drawing don't allow their elements to be selected in the normal way. For example, an intersection point will not appear when the mouse cursor is over it. Sometimes it will appear when the cursor is some distance away and not right over the point and other times it will never appear wherever the cursor is located. Other points on the same symbol work perfectly as they should.Also, trying to select a line as part of the drawing process (rather than selecting with the hand tool) can be similarly hit or miss.It is intensely frustrating when the drawing requires that part of the symbol be referenced in this way, but you simply cannot do it, no matter what you try.I also experienced a major hiccup today when trying to edit a symbol. It consisted of a rounded rectangle enclosing a smaller rounded rectangle. When I tried to draw the outer rectangle having selected a dotted line, it appeared correct in the symbol design window, but when closing that and applying the changes, in the drawing the outer rectangle was not displayed. Instead were 4 continuous lines, passing through the corner points of where the outer rectangle ought to have been. When I changed the pen to solid black and tried again, the outer rectangle (still correct in the symbol design window) appeared in the drawing as an elipse.I have also found that symbols that contain polyline objects (like rounded rectangle, or oval/elipse), when rotated, will display correctly on screen, but both original and final orientations are printed, which makes the drawing look a bit of a mess.Anyone help with any of these?
RowlandCarson

Re: Symbolical

Post by RowlandCarson »

At 2009-02-24 23:55 +0000 Ken Gillett wrote: >Some symbols in the drawing don't allow their elements to be >selected in the normal way>I also experienced a major hiccup today when trying to edit a symbol>I have also found that symbols that contain polyline objects (like >rounded rectangle, or>oval/elipse), when rotated, will display correctly on screen, but >both original and final>orientations are printed>Anyone help with any of these Ken - not seen any of the above myself. Sounds like a something only Thorsten can fix. You didn't say what version you are using - that, the OS version and PPC/intel hardware, may have a bearing on symptoms.regardsRowland-- : Rowland Carson http://home.clara.net/rowil/: <rowil@clara.net> ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...
Ken Gillett

Post by Ken Gillett »

On 25 Feb 2009, at 00:09, Rowland Carson wrote: > At 2009-02-24 23:55 +0000 Ken Gillett wrote:>> >Some symbols in the drawing don't allow their elements to be> >selected in the normal way>> >I also experienced a major hiccup today when trying to edit a symbol>> >I have also found that symbols that contain polyline objects (like> >rounded rectangle, or> >oval/elipse), when rotated, will display correctly on screen, but> >both original and final> >orientations are printed I first noticed this problem when printing to a LaserWriter, but it also occurs when sending to Preview and/or saving to a PDF when either that or a Canon bublejet printer is selected. I cannot test actually printing to the Canon as it is currently not operational, i.e. broken.In fact this problem is not related to symbols. Draw a rounded rectangle, rotate it and print. I get 2 rectangles, one on top of the other. One is oriented as shown on screen, the other as it was originally drawn. This occurs whether the object is used in a symbol or just on its own. > Ken - not seen any of the above myself. Sounds like a something only> Thorsten can fix. You didn't say what version you are using - that,> the OS version and PPC/intel hardware, may have a bearing on symptoms. Cadintosh 6.0 on a dual Quad Core Xeon MacPro running OSX 10.5.6BTW, on another subject, is it possible to increase the size of the bottom control bar (where layers, groups etc are listed)? I have a big screen and that bar is very small and having to often switch between continuous and non-continuous lines is tricky when the control is so small. I want to have it displayed double size at least. Can this be done, or do I need to put in a feature request?Ken G i l l e t t_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
RowlandCarson

Post by RowlandCarson »

At 2009-02-25 08:47 +0000 Ken Gillett wrote: >In fact this problem is not related to symbols. Draw a rounded >rectangle, rotate it and print. I get 2 rectangles, one on top of the >other. One is oriented as shown on screen, the other as it was >originally drawn. This occurs whether the object is used in a symbol >or just on its own. Ken - can't reproduce your problem here. There isn't a "rounded rectangle" tool, so I drew a line, copied it a short distance way, then drew lines between the ends of those 2 lines to form a rectangle. I then used the Fillet tool to round the corners. I printed it, then rotated it through 90 degress about one corner, and printed it again. Each printout appeared as I expected, with only one rectangle visible. >is it possible to increase the size of the>bottom control bar (where layers, groups etc are listed)>do I need to put in a feature request I think you do. Thorsten is about to make a new release, so you need to be quick. I had several issues I intended to raise with Thorsten myself but the death of my wife last month has thrown my life out of kilter and I haven't been able to make a useful submission.regardsRowland-- : Rowland Carson http://home.clara.net/rowil/: <rowil@clara.net> ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...
Ken Gillett

Post by Ken Gillett »

On 25 Feb 2009, at 16:18, Rowland Carson wrote: > At 2009-02-25 08:47 +0000 Ken Gillett wrote:>> >In fact this problem is not related to symbols. Draw a rounded> >rectangle, rotate it and print. I get 2 rectangles, one on top of the> >other. One is oriented as shown on screen, the other as it was> >originally drawn. This occurs whether the object is used in a symbol> >or just on its own.>> Ken - can't reproduce your problem here. There isn't a "rounded> rectangle" tool, so I drew a line, copied it a short distance way,> then drew lines between the ends of those 2 lines to form a> rectangle. I then used the Fillet tool to round the corners. I> printed it, then rotated it through 90 degress about one corner, and> printed it again. Each printout appeared as I expected, with only one> rectangle visible. That won't be a problem. Normal lines are fine, it's only the polyline objects that exhibit this problem. They are available from the toolbox in the group that normally shows the Hand tool. Rounded rectangles and elipses have the problem, maybe the others too, but I've not tried them. > >is it possible to increase the size of the> >bottom control bar (where layers, groups etc are listed)>> >do I need to put in a feature request>> I think you do. Thorsten is about to make a new release, so you need> to be quick. I'll do that. > I had several issues I intended to raise with Thorsten> myself but the death of my wife last month has thrown my life out of> kilter and I haven't been able to make a useful submission. I am sorry to hear that, a dreadful thing to happen. My problems pale into insignificance. Thank you for your help.Ken G i l l e t t_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
RowlandCarson

Post by RowlandCarson »

At 2009-02-26 10:49 +0000 Ken Gillett wrote: >Normal lines are fine, it's only the polyline>objects that exhibit this problem. They are available from the toolbox >in the group that normally shows the Hand tool. Rounded rectangles and >elipses have the problem, maybe the others too, but I've not tried them. Ken - I'm sorry to have sounded so dismissive in my previous posting, I completely forgot that there is indeed a rounded rectangle tool. I guess I am not aware of it because I know that (to my way of thinking) the ellipse tool in CADintosh does not work properly* and maybe for that reason I don't visit that pane of the tool palette very often.Anyway, I tried the same test using the rounded rectangle tool and it behaved as I would expect - printed as it appeared on scren, both before and after rotation.I'm using CADintosh V6.0.1 X PowerPC (Universal Binary), on a Ti PowerBook 1GHz with 1 GB RAM and Mac OS 10.4.11.* I mean ellipses cannot be connected to other objects or used as reference points, and elliptical arcs do not start and finish where expected. If I need to have elliptical objects in a drawing, I have to use TurboCAD Mac. I have raised this point several times with Thorsten, but apparently I am the only one who thinks the tool is broken because he has never changed its behaviour. >I am sorry to hear that, a dreadful thing to happen Thanks for your sympathy. It was unexpected and quite sudden, but fairly painless, so a good death for her but a big shock to me. She told me that she was content with her life and I hope I can face my own death so serenely.regardsRowland-- : Rowland Carson http://home.clara.net/rowil/: <rowil@clara.net> ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...