trouble entering polygonal lines coordinates

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo cadintoshmac group after the port.
jaladuvar

trouble entering polygonal lines coordinates

Post by jaladuvar »

Hey,I'm trying to do a drawing where the rectangle tool is so badly missing...I want to create a set of standard boxes which I'll use in my drawing as there are many of the same in it.The mouse is not accurate enough and editing lines is not easy enough as one cannot work on the actual x,y values for a given dot.But I cannot find the proper way to enter polygonal lines coordinates in the input line:I've tried typing these (apple wireless french keyboard)x1,y1,x2,y2,x3,y3 then return or enter and nothingsets of x,y values within brackets didn't work eitherx1,y1 tab x2,y2 tab x3,y3 then return or enter and nothingx1,y1 ; x2,y2 ; x3,y3 then return or enter and nothingand so on...When entering a two points defined line everything's fine and I didn't find in the user's guide any example of this polygonal line input ?Thanks for help...
RowlandCarson

Re: trouble entering polygonal lines coordinates

Post by RowlandCarson »

At 2010-03-04 16:10 +0000 jaladuvar wrote: >I'm trying to do a drawing where the rectangle tool is so badly >missing...I want to create a set of standard boxes which I'll use in >my drawing as there are many of the same in it Jalduvar - I suggest you try the following method. I assume you know the exact dimensions your rectangular box should be. I will use 2.5 x 1.5 in my example - you will need to substitute your own values.In principle:Construct a rectangle using the straight line tool, make that into a symobol, then place the symbol wherever it is needed in future.In detail:Select the straight line tool, point-to-point (top left choice in the line pop-up menu).Key in the values 0, 0 <return> (blue cross appears at 0, 0)Key in the values 0, 1.5 <return> (vertical line appears)Key in the values 2.5, 0 <return> (blue cross appears at 2.5, 0)Key in the values 2.5, 1.5 <return> (vertical line appears)Click on the "Z" button at top right of window to fit the window to the lines.Choose the automatic mode for junction entry (last icon of the strip along the bottom left of window, looks like a red dot with a black vertical line) by using the tab key or by clicking on the icon.Move the mouse cursor near the bottom of the left-hand vertical line until a red cross in a circle appears at the bottom end of the line. Click once (blue cross appears).Move the mouse cursor near the bottom of the right-hand vertical line until a red cross in a circle appears at the bottom end of the line. Click once (horizontal line appears).Repeat the above 2 steps at the top ends of the vertical lines to complete the rectangle. From the Symbol menu, choose "Symbol from Window". Click & drag to enclose the entire rectangle (lines turn red).Hit <return> to confirm all desired lines are included.Move the mouse cursor to a corner (or middle of an edge) and when the red circled X appears, click to choose the grab point. (If you want to have the centre of the box as the grab point, key in 2.5 / 2, 1.5 / 2 <return> instead of clicking.)Key in a name for the symbol such as: Box <return>Now the symbol called "Box" is available to insert anywhere you wish in the drawing. (If you wish to use it in another drawing, you will have to put the symbol into a library file and open that library in the new drawing.)To use the symbol, choose "Insert" from the Symbol menu, then choose (using either keyed-in co-ordinates or the mouse-click as before) where it should go.Hope this is useful.in friendshipRowland-- : Rowland Carson ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...: <rowil@clara.net> http://home.clara.net/rowil/: Skype, Twitter: rowland_carson Facebook: Rowland Carson: pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/rowlandcarson
Eljaje

Post by Eljaje »

Thanks Rowland,It works as you describe and I've created a few boxes which I needed and used them.But I still don't know how to enter the coordinates of  a polygonal line in the input line.Thanks again--- En date de : Ven 5.3.10, Rowland Carson <rowil@clara.net> a écrit : De: Rowland Carson <rowil@clara.net>Objet: Re: [cadintoshmac] trouble entering polygonal lines coordinatesÀ: cadintoshmac@yahoogroups.comDate: Vendredi 5 mars 2010, 12h46   At 2010-03-04 16:10 +0000 jaladuvar wrote:>I'm trying to do a drawing where the rectangle tool is so badly >missing...I want to create a set of standard boxes which I'll use in >my drawing as there are many of the same in itJalduvar - I suggest you try the following method. I assume you know the exact dimensions your rectangular box should be. I will use 2.5 x 1.5 in my example - you will need to substitute your own values.In principle:Construct a rectangle using the straight line tool, make that into a symobol, then place the symbol wherever it is needed in future.In detail:Select the straight line tool, point-to-point (top left choice in the line pop-up menu).Key in the values 0, 0 <return> (blue cross appears at 0, 0)Key in the values 0, 1.5 <return> (vertical line appears)Key in the values 2.5, 0 <return> (blue cross appears at 2.5, 0)Key in the values 2.5, 1.5 <return> (vertical line appears)Click on the "Z" button at top right of window to fit the window to the lines.Choose the automatic mode for junction entry (last icon of the strip along the bottom left of window, looks like a red dot with a black vertical line) by using the tab key or by clicking on the icon.Move the mouse cursor near the bottom of the left-hand vertical line until a red cross in a circle appears at the bottom end of the line. Click once (blue cross appears).Move the mouse cursor near the bottom of the right-hand vertical line until a red cross in a circle appears at the bottom end of the line. Click once (horizontal line appears).Repeat the above 2 steps at the top ends of the vertical lines to complete the rectangle.From the Symbol menu, choose "Symbol from Window". Click & drag to enclose the entire rectangle (lines turn red).Hit <return> to confirm all desired lines are included.Move the mouse cursor to a corner (or middle of an edge) and when the red circled X appears, click to choose the grab point. (If you want to have the centre of the box as the grab point, key in 2.5 / 2, 1.5 / 2 <return> instead of clicking.)Key in a name for the symbol such as: Box <return>Now the symbol called "Box" is available to insert anywhere you wish in the drawing. (If you wish to use it in another drawing, you will have to put the symbol into a library file and open that library in the new drawing.)To use the symbol, choose "Insert" from the Symbol menu, then choose (using either keyed-in co-ordinates or the mouse-click as before) where it should go.Hope this is useful.in friendshipRowland-- : Rowland Carson ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...: <rowil@clara. net> http://home. clara.net/ rowil/: Skype, Twitter: rowland_carson Facebook: Rowland Carson: pictures: http://picasaweb. google.com/ rowlandcarson
RowlandCarson

Post by RowlandCarson »

At 2010-03-05 15:31 +0000 Eljaje wrote: >It works as you describe and I've created a few boxes which I needed >and used them Eljaje/Jaladuvar - thanks for the message, glad to hear my description was OK to understand. >I still don't know how to enter the coordinates of a polygonal line >in the input line I have tended not to use any of the various flavours of x-lines as they seem to not always work as I'd expect. The spline x-line, for instance, does not export reliably as DXF, which is quite important if you are trying to exchange files with AutoCAD users (eg for water-jet or laser cutting etc).However, I can find no problem with creating x-lines using co-ordinate input. Simply enter a co-ordinate pair followed by <return> (small blue cross appears), and repeat until all points are entered, then hit <return> without entering co-ordinates to signal the end of input and cause the line to be drawn.Does this procedure not work for you?in friendshipRowland-- : Rowland Carson ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...: <rowil@clara.net> http://home.clara.net/rowil/: Skype, Twitter: rowland_carson Facebook: Rowland Carson: pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/rowlandcarson
Eljaje

Post by Eljaje »

Many thanks for helping me.When trying as you say the first point appears, but not the second or any other (in the polygonal line input), whilst for the single line everything's fine..?Apparently what I'm keying in is not taken in..I've shot  a short video and you can download it (22M) at files.me.com/jlacroute/3ciqeh.movIt's not very good but you'll see that entering a set of coordinates when in the polygonal line settings is not possible as when I hit enter on my keyboard it's the last first point of the previous hand drawned line that appears and no waiting for another pointI've tried on another machine with a wired keyboard - release 6.1.1 and the "no result" is identical...--- En date de : Ven 5.3.10, Rowland Carson <rowil@clara.net> a écrit : De: Rowland Carson <rowil@clara.net>Objet: Re: [cadintoshmac] trouble entering polygonal lines coordinatesÀ: cadintoshmac@yahoogroups.comDate: Vendredi 5 mars 2010, 21h05   At 2010-03-05 15:31 +0000 Eljaje wrote:>It works as you describe and I've created a few boxes which I needed >and used themEljaje/Jaladuvar - thanks for the message, glad to hear my description was OK to understand.>I still don't know how to enter the coordinates of a polygonal line >in the input lineI have tended not to use any of the various flavours of x-lines as they seem to not always work as I'd expect. The spline x-line, for instance, does not export reliably as DXF, which is quite important if you are trying to exchange files with AutoCAD users (eg for water-jet or laser cutting etc).However, I can find no problem with creating x-lines using co-ordinate input. Simply enter a co-ordinate pair followed by <return> (small blue cross appears), and repeat until all points are entered, then hit <return> without entering co-ordinates to signal the end of input and cause the line to be drawn.Does this procedure not work for you?in friendshipRowland-- : Rowland Carson ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...: <rowil@clara. net> http://home. clara.net/ rowil/: Skype, Twitter: rowland_carson Facebook: Rowland Carson: pictures: http://picasaweb. google.com/ rowlandcarson
RowlandCarson

Post by RowlandCarson »

At 2010-03-06 02:00 -0800 Eljaje wrote: >Apparently what I'm keying in is not taken in..>>I've shot a short video Eljaje - sorry, your video seems to be corrupted and I can't make sense of it. >I've tried on another machine with a wired keyboard - release 6.1.1 >and the "no result" is identical... It might be useful to Thorsten (the developer of CADintosh) to say what Mac and what OS you are using. I can't replicate your problem on my machine (1GHz PowerBook G4 with 1GB RAM, Mac OS 10.4.11).in friendshipRowland-- : Rowland Carson ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...: <rowil@clara.net> http://home.clara.net/rowil/: Skype, Twitter: rowland_carson Facebook: Rowland Carson: pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/rowlandcarson
jaladuvar

Post by jaladuvar »

Rowland,Sorry that the video did not make sense, I think I took a much too low quality level. I'm on an iMac iCore 7 with snow leopard, most recent update, french aluminum keyboards ( wireless or wired).Basically when in the polygonal line coordinates input mod, inputs are not taken into account and I think that it's the 'enter' or 'return' key that is not recognized..(tried tab between sets of coordinates but it switches the input mode), there is a 'pink' dot at coordinate 0,0, that's all)Tried to set my kbd as US and no improvement there. --- In cadintoshmac@yahoogroups.com, Rowland Carson <rowil@...> wrote:>> At 2010-03-06 02:00 -0800 Eljaje wrote:> > >Apparently what I'm keying in is not taken in..> >> >I've shot a short video> > Eljaje - sorry, your video seems to be corrupted and I can't make sense of it.> > >I've tried on another machine with a wired keyboard - release 6.1.1 > >and the "no result" is identical...> > It might be useful to Thorsten (the developer of CADintosh) to say > what Mac and what OS you are using. I can't replicate your problem on > my machine (1GHz PowerBook G4 with 1GB RAM, Mac OS 10.4.11).> > in friendship> > Rowland> -- > : Rowland Carson ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...> : <rowil@...> http://home.clara.net/rowil/> : Skype, Twitter: rowland_carson Facebook: Rowland Carson> : pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/rowlandcarson>