Feet AND inches?

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo cadintoshmac group after the port.
jklingel8

Feet AND inches?

Post by jklingel8 »

Pardon us, but we in the States have not yet adopted an intelligent measuring system. I would like to enter, say, a distance of 1' 3 1/2" to a parallel line from the selected line, without having to know that 1' 3 1/2" = 1.29'. I can go the reverse, ie, enter 1.29' for the distance to the second line and get a dimension of 1' 3 1/2". How do I enter 1' 3 1/2" in the first place? This would make my life sooo much easier. Thanks. john
alessandropetruzzi

Re: Feet AND inches?

Post by alessandropetruzzi »

Hi John,I live in Italy, therefore I'm not so confident with your measuring system, anyway I've the answer to your question ... another little trick.If you have to tell to CADintosh to draw a parallel line at the distance of 1' 31/2" far from another line,  you can type "1+3/12+0.5/12" in the input line at the bottom of your window. That's it.Have fun.AlessandroIl giorno 02/dic/2011, alle ore 08:38, jklingel8 ha scritto:   Pardon us, but we in the States have not yet adopted an intelligent measuring system. I would like to enter, say, a distance of 1' 3 1/2" to a parallel line from the selected line, without having to know that 1' 3 1/2" = 1.29'. I can go the reverse, ie, enter 1.29' for the distance to the second line and get a dimension of 1' 3 1/2". How do I enter 1' 3 1/2" in the first place? This would make my life sooo much easier. Thanks. john Ing. Alessandro Petruzzivia del Giambellino, 234143 Triestetel. +39 040 303124mobile +39 348 2486751fax +39 040 311552e-mail: concrete_it@alice.it
jklingel8

Post by jklingel8 »

Alessandro: You did it again. Many thanks. I tried a host of options, but did not think about the "/12" part. That did it perfectly. You should write a book of all your tricks and earn some money. No, wait; just keep telling us for free! Ha ha. BTW: Don't bother getting familiar w/ our measuring system; it is a pain in the ass, especially when you try to teach fractions to kids. Take care. john
jklingel8

Post by jklingel8 »

I'm now having trouble w/ this procedure. It only works well if you have one layer. If you have two, or more layers open, it changes the dimension lines just fine, but it combines the layers into one. I had about 10 layers open so I could change all the dimensions at once, and was puzzled why I suddenly had only one layer listed, and the Quick Layer was non-functional. I closed the file w/out saving, re-opened it, and tried it with two layers open. Same thing; they combined to one layer. Damn. That sure limits the use of the method. If anyone figures out a work-around, please post. Thanks. john