Copy layer to other file

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo cadintoshmac group after the port.
Ken Gillett

Copy layer to other file

Post by Ken Gillett »

I have some items/objects in a layer in one Cadintosh file that I'd like to copy to a different (Cadintosh) file. The files are in fact different versions of the same thing (a house) and there's some parts of the older drawing I need in the new one and just want to copy from one file to another. I've isolated the items that need to be copied into 2 layers. Now I just need to copy those 2 layers to the other file - they can maintain the same layer numbers.I've been looking but cannot see how to accomplish this. Would appreciate it if someone could help here.Ken  G i l l e t t_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
thorstenlemke

Re: Copy layer to other file

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello Ken,you can use Open 2nd for this.Thorsten On 29.04.2013, at 20:40, Ken Gillett <ukengb@ymail.com> wrote:  I have some items/objects in a layer in one Cadintosh file that I'd like to copy to a different (Cadintosh) file. The files are in fact different versions of the same thing (a house) and there's some parts of the older drawing I need in the new one and just want to copy from one file to another. I've isolated the items that need to be copied into 2 layers. Now I just need to copy those 2 layers to the other file - they can maintain the same layer numbers.I've been looking but cannot see how to accomplish this. Would appreciate it if someone could help here.Ken  G i l l e t t_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Ken Gillett

Post by Ken Gillett »

OK, sounding possible:-)Could you be more specific about this function as the manual offers little by way of explanation. I have 2 large Cadintosh drawing files with almost a hundred layers in each. In one of these files are 2 layers that I want to COPY to the other file. Only those 2 layers, I don't want any of the rest of the file.I'm not sure if this is what Open 2nd will achieve. In fact, I'm sure it won't. On 29 Apr 2013, at 19:50, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@lemkesoft.de> wrote:Hello Ken,you can use Open 2nd for this.ThorstenOn 29.04.2013, at 20:40, Ken Gillett <ukengb@ymail.com> wrote:I have some items/objects in a layer in one Cadintosh file that I'd like to copy to a different (Cadintosh) file. The files are in fact different versions of the same thing (a house) and there's some parts of the older drawing I need in the new one and just want to copy from one file to another. I've isolated the items that need to be copied into 2 layers. Now I just need to copy those 2 layers to the other file - they can maintain the same layer numbers.I've been looking but cannot see how to accomplish this. Would appreciate it if someone could help here.Ken  G i l l e t t_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Ken Gillett

Post by Ken Gillett »

Can anyone please help with this. I have parts of a drawing in one file that I need in another file. Surely it MUST be possible to copy items between files in some way. Just inserting an image of the other items is not sufficient. I want the actual Cadintosh items, in the exact same locations so they can be part of this second drawing instead of having to re-create everything from scratch again.I cannot be the only one needing to do this sort of thing. On 30 Apr 2013, at 11:24, Ken Gillett <ukengb@ymail.com> wrote:> OK, sounding possible:-)> > Could you be more specific about this function as the manual offers little by way of explanation. I have 2 large Cadintosh drawing files with almost a hundred layers in each. In one of these files are 2 layers that I want to COPY to the other file. Only those 2 layers, I don't want any of the rest of the file.> > I'm not sure if this is what Open 2nd will achieve. In fact, I'm sure it won't.> > > On 29 Apr 2013, at 19:50, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@lemkesoft.de> wrote:> > >> Hello Ken,>> >> >> you can use Open 2nd for this.>> >> Thorsten>> >> >> On 29.04.2013, at 20:40, Ken Gillett <ukengb@ymail.com> wrote:>> >>> >>> >>> I have some items/objects in a layer in one Cadintosh file that I'd like to copy to a different (Cadintosh) file. The files are in fact different versions of the same thing (a house) and there's some parts of the older drawing I need in the new one and just want to copy from one file to another. I've isolated the items that need to be copied into 2 layers. Now I just need to copy those 2 layers to the other file - they can maintain the same layer numbers.>>> >>> I've been looking but cannot see how to accomplish this. Would appreciate it if someone could help here.>>> > Ken G i l l e t t_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Roy Lewis

Post by Roy Lewis »

I've learned to make whatever I want to transfer into a symbol, then transfer using the symbol manager. A simple cut-and-paste, with paste=in-place option would be nice.Roy On Apr 30, 2013, at 1:37 PM, Ken Gillett <ukengb@ymail.com> wrote:  Can anyone please help with this. I have parts of a drawing in one file that I need in another file. Surely it MUST be possible to copy items between files in some way. Just inserting an image of the other items is not sufficient. I want the actual Cadintosh items, in the exact same locations so they can be part of this second drawing instead of having to re-create everything from scratch again.I cannot be the only one needing to do this sort of thing.On 30 Apr 2013, at 11:24, Ken Gillett <ukengb@ymail.com> wrote:> OK, sounding possible:-)> > Could you be more specific about this function as the manual offers little by way of explanation. I have 2 large Cadintosh drawing files with almost a hundred layers in each. In one of these files are 2 layers that I want to COPY to the other file. Only those 2 layers, I don't want any of the rest of the file.> > I'm not sure if this is what Open 2nd will achieve. In fact, I'm sure it won't.> > > On 29 Apr 2013, at 19:50, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@lemkesoft.de> wrote:> > >> Hello Ken,>> >> >> you can use Open 2nd for this.>> >> Thorsten>> >> >> On 29.04.2013, at 20:40, Ken Gillett <ukengb@ymail.com> wrote:>> >>> >>> >>> I have some items/objects in a layer in one Cadintosh file that I'd like to copy to a different (Cadintosh) file. The files are in fact different versions of the same thing (a house) and there's some parts of the older drawing I need in the new one and just want to copy from one file to another. I've isolated the items that need to be copied into 2 layers. Now I just need to copy those 2 layers to the other file - they can maintain the same layer numbers.>>> >>> I've been looking but cannot see how to accomplish this. Would appreciate it if someone could help here.>>> > Ken G i l l e t t_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Ken Gillett

Post by Ken Gillett »

In the end I used 'Save Selection' to create new files that contained just the layers I wanted and then 'Open 2nd' in the recipient drawing to 'import' them.So I got there in the end, but neither of those functions are clear and it's a terribly convoluted way of doing it. Also, I had no idea why I had to enter co-ordinates when performing the 'Open 2nd' function. I can only assume that the coordinates you enter is where the centre (i.e. 0,0) of the imported drawing goes. At least that's what happened for me, but that was purely by luck than an understanding of what was going on.There needs to be a simpler way to move stuff about. I already asked if there was a way to COPY items from one layer to another and the total lack of response indicates thee is not. So what we need is a more comprehensive approach to moving and copying objects, not just between layers, but also between files as at the moment Cadintosh is severely lacking. On 30 Apr 2013, at 18:49, Roy Lewis <roywlewis@mac.com> wrote:> I've learned to make whatever I want to transfer into a symbol, then transfer using the symbol manager. A simple cut-and-paste, with paste=in-place option would be nice.> > Roy> > > On Apr 30, 2013, at 1:37 PM, Ken Gillett <ukengb@ymail.com> wrote:> >> >> Can anyone please help with this. I have parts of a drawing in one file that I need in another file. Surely it MUST be possible to copy items between files in some way. Just inserting an image of the other items is not sufficient. I want the actual Cadintosh items, in the exact same locations so they can be part of this second drawing instead of having to re-create everything from scratch again.>> >> I cannot be the only one needing to do this sort of thing.>> >> On 30 Apr 2013, at 11:24, Ken Gillett <ukengb@ymail.com> wrote:>> >> > OK, sounding possible:-)>> > >> > Could you be more specific about this function as the manual offers little by way of explanation. I have 2 large Cadintosh drawing files with almost a hundred layers in each. In one of these files are 2 layers that I want to COPY to the other file. Only those 2 layers, I don't want any of the rest of the file.>> > >> > I'm not sure if this is what Open 2nd will achieve. In fact, I'm sure it won't.>> > >> > >> > On 29 Apr 2013, at 19:50, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@lemkesoft.de> wrote:>> > >> > >> >> Hello Ken,>> >> >> >> >> >> you can use Open 2nd for this.>> >> >> >> Thorsten>> >> >> >> >> >> On 29.04.2013, at 20:40, Ken Gillett <ukengb@ymail.com> wrote:>> >> >> >>> >> >>> >> >>> I have some items/objects in a layer in one Cadintosh file that I'd like to copy to a different (Cadintosh) file. The files are in fact different versions of the same thing (a house) and there's some parts of the older drawing I need in the new one and just want to copy from one file to another. I've isolated the items that need to be copied into 2 layers. Now I just need to copy those 2 layers to the other file - they can maintain the same layer numbers.>> >>> >> >>> I've been looking but cannot see how to accomplish this. Would appreciate it if someone could help here.>> >>> >> > >> Ken G i l l e t t_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/Ken G i l l e t t_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hi,thanks for your reply.The position after Open 2nd is to set the import location. That is required.Another approach is to use a symbol library to transfer parts.The copy to layer function is on the todo list. There was no such request during the last 20 years.Thorsten On 01.05.2013, at 10:38, Ken Gillett <ukengb@ymail.com> wrote:> In the end I used 'Save Selection' to create new files that contained just the layers I wanted and then 'Open 2nd' in the recipient drawing to 'import' them.> > So I got there in the end, but neither of those functions are clear and it's a terribly convoluted way of doing it. Also, I had no idea why I had to enter co-ordinates when performing the 'Open 2nd' function. I can only assume that the coordinates you enter is where the centre (i.e. 0,0) of the imported drawing goes. At least that's what happened for me, but that was purely by luck than an understanding of what was going on.> > There needs to be a simpler way to move stuff about. I already asked if there was a way to COPY items from one layer to another and the total lack of response indicates thee is not. So what we need is a more comprehensive approach to moving and copying objects, not just between layers, but also between files as at the moment Cadintosh is severely lacking.> > > On 30 Apr 2013, at 18:49, Roy Lewis <roywlewis@mac.com> wrote:
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello,sorry for the delay.May 1 is a free day in Germany.Just create one drawing that contains only the elements which should be added.Now open this with Open 2nd in the other drawing.Thorsten On 30.04.2013, at 12:24, Ken Gillett <ukengb@ymail.com> wrote:  OK, sounding possible:-)Could you be more specific about this function as the manual offers little by way of explanation. I have 2 large Cadintosh drawing files with almost a hundred layers in each. In one of these files are 2 layers that I want to COPY to the other file. Only those 2 layers, I don't want any of the rest of the file.I'm not sure if this is what Open 2nd will achieve. In fact, I'm sure it won't.On 29 Apr 2013, at 19:50, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@lemkesoft.de> wrote:
Ken Gillett

Post by Ken Gillett »

On 1 May 2013, at 19:50, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@lemkesoft.de> wrote: The position after Open 2nd is to set the import location.I realise that, but what precisely does it mean? Set what to the location you specify?Another approach is to use a symbol library to transfer parts.Having to create a symbol just for the purpose of transferring stuff once is very inefficient. Also, having to create a new file with the stuff you need just to copy to the other file is also inefficient. As I said, there needs to be a comprehensive way to move and/or copy items between layers and between files.The copy to layer function is on the todo list. There was no such request during the last 20 years.There is now :-)In fact, users will mostly just put up with what they've got rather than make waves and so there may well have been a requirement for this, just no-one told you. At first I just put up with it and found myself having to re-create parts of drawings as there seemed to be no way to copy what I needed, where it was needed. But there are limits and I thought I must just not be understanding how to do it, rather than Cadintosh not really being able to do it.As far as I'm concerned, ANY graphics app MUST have the ability to copy items between its own files and if it has them, layers. This is ASSUMED. It's what made the GUI ubiquitous as it gave everyone the ability to do stuff previously largely impossible. Please don't assume no-one wants this. I'm quite sure most users will find it invaluable, even if they haven't yet complained of its current lack.Ken  G i l l e t t_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello,you define the offset of the insertion from the original coordinates.ThorstenOn 02.05.2013, at 10:36, Ken Gillett <ukengb@ymail.com> wrote: I realise that, but what precisely does it mean? Set what to the location you specify?