Symbol of a symbol

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo cadintoshmac group after the port.
Ken Gillett

Symbol of a symbol

Post by Ken Gillett »

Is it possible to have a symbol that is based on another symbol? So when the first symbol is updated, the second symbol will reflect this also. Is it possible to add in a symbol when creating a symbol?Ken G i l l e t t_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
thorstenlemke

Re: Symbol of a symbol

Post by thorstenlemke »

Dear Ken,what would be the usage of such a function?Thorsten Is it possible to have a symbol that is based on another symbol? So when the first symbol is updated, the second symbol will reflect this also. Is it possible to add in a symbol when creating a symbol?Ken G i l l e t t
Ken Gillett

Post by Ken Gillett »

Well I want to be able to create multiple instances of a graphic but be able to modify just the one base graphic and for all instances to reflect the modification. A symbol is perfect for this.However, I then also want a variation of that symbol, but which will also change to reflect any modifications of that original symbol, so I want to be able to place a symbol in the editing window of the new symbol, so the new symbol will incorporate the original symbol yet auto update when that first symbol is changed.I think in normalised database terms so this seems perfectly obvious to me, but I realise not everyone will see a use for it. I guess that by your question it cannot currently be done? > On 25 Jul 2015, at 20:01, Thorsten Lemke lemke@lemkesoft.de [cadintoshmac] <cadintoshmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:> > Dear Ken,> > > what would be the usage of such a function?> > Thorsten>> >> >> Is it possible to have a symbol that is based on another symbol? So when the first symbol is updated, the second symbol will reflect this also. Is it possible to add in a symbol when creating a symbol?>> >> Ken G i l l e t t Ken G i l l e t t_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Ralf Stutzenberger

Post by Ralf Stutzenberger »

Diese Funktion der virtuellen Kopien kenne ich aus Calamus. Dort ist es möglich, Objekte entweder als physische oder als virtuelle Kopien anzulegen.Dies hat den Vorteile, dass man an Änderungen (zB der Farbe von Fensterrahmen) lediglich die Farbe eines Objekts verändern muss - alle anderen virtuellen Kopien dieses Objekts folgen der Änderung ohne weiteres Zutun. Natürlich kann man virtuelle Kopien in pysische umwandeln - und ggf auch zurück - so die Objekte identisch sind. Vielleicht kann Ulf Dunkel (www.calamus.net) mehr hierzu sagen.GrußRalf (Stutzenberger)