Printing all over the place

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo cadintoshmac group after the port.
Ken Gillett

Printing all over the place

Post by Ken Gillett »

I have a diagram that is to fit on a single A4 page. If in Page Setup I choose “For any Printer”, A4 is the only suitable size option but the area Cadintosh displays has HUGE borders shown and that are different at the top and bottom of a Portrait page. Since This is in landscape, that makes it lopsided with each side different and parts of the drawing get chopped off - which you only find out later.Not only that, but when the area is perfectly positioned for the drawing, when I select Print, the mini preview shows the drawing displaced. If I then choose to show in Preview, the positioning is different again. When I then Print from Preview, the mini preview is different again and the final printed page bears little relation to ANY of the different previews I’ve been shown.If in Page Setup I then select the actual printer (HP Envy) I get the option of A4 borderless, which I choose and eventually Cadintosh shows NO borders. This is better as I can then position the area as I want and nothing gets trimmed off the edges, even at the 100% that I want. But the Headers are now right at the corners of the page. So they obviously use the border to position themselves inwards. No problem, I’ll just add some returns to bring them down and option space to move them across. I was already spacing the headers with this and also using returns in the Footer and it all worked as expected.But when I try to add returns above the headers, they are all ignored, even if the line contains actual text. It appears that the Headers print ONLY the last line and when there are multiple lines, will strip any option spaces. This does not occur for single lines.All in all, it has proven impossible to do what seemed like a very simple printing task. Print a simple diagram, centred on an A4 page without annoying borders cropping it and also with the Headers and Footers where I want them.Maybe I’m being stupid here, but I expect to be able to move the Print area to where it is visually centred over what I want to print, enter the Header and Footer text I require with some control over the margins used to print them and for this to be accurately represented in the mini previews of any Print dialogs. And also then shown the same if I open it in Preview and then print from there, not at every stage show a different layout and finally print even something else. I thought we’d advanced past the ‘waste reams of paper printing test sheets till we get what we need’.I realise much of this will be Apple’s fault, but surely something better can be done in Cadintosh. For a start, can we have Headers and Footers that don’t trim returns and option spaces so we can use these to position the text. Also and even better is if we could specify the actual margins to be used in the Headers and Footers dialog, dare I say it, like Excel?Ken G i l l e t t_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
thorstenlemke

Re: Printing all over the place

Post by thorstenlemke »

Attachments :Dear Ken,please e-mail your drawing for testing.Did you define a print area? That is the normal way in CADintosh.Thorsten I have a diagram that is to fit on a single A4 page. If in Page Setup I choose “For any Printer”, A4 is the only suitable size option but the area Cadintosh displays has HUGE borders shown and that are different at the top and bottom of a Portrait page. Since This is in landscape, that makes it lopsided with each side different and parts of the drawing get chopped off - which you only find out later.N