ARCing

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo cadintoshmac group after the port.
Ken Gillett

ARCing

Post by Ken Gillett »

I have what might be thought of as a bloated rectangle, in other words each side is actually an arc, bulging outwards. So far, so good.But I then wanted the corners to form a curved intersection, so I selected the tool and the bottom 2 corners worked as expected, but the upper ones drew the joining arc outside the rectangle. So the 2 arcs that should have joined with a neat rounded off corner, in fact had a round lump on the wrong side of the intersection.My question is how does Cadintosh make the decision as to which side it draws the arc of any intersection between 2 lines, or arcs in this case? When creating a parallel line, you control the side by clicking on that side of the original line when selecting it. But that had no effect with the 4 corners of my bloated rectangle. The bottom ones were always correct, but the upper ones would never draw on the inside. In the end I had to mirror the bottom ones to the top.How are we supposed to control this?Also, how can we draw a new circle, with the same centre as an existing arc? An arc never provides an automatic centre point like a full circle does. Is there a way we could have this? It's a common problem for me and a real faff to achieve with other methods.There actually does seem to be an issue with the automatic centre point of a circle. It is not always obvious where the cursor needs to be to make this display. Sometimes actually on the circumference will do it, but sometimes it seems to be some apparently random point in the general vicinity of the circle, but NOT on the actual centre which is what seems to me to be the intuitively obvious point. It's not crucial where it is as long as it's the same for every circle (and arc:-)BTW, the printing and headers and footers issue now seems to be resolved. Creating my own custom paper size with the margins I wanted and the latest beta seemed to do the trick. However, could I ask that we can use embedded returns in headers and footers? Sometimes it's really useful.Ken G i l l e t t_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
thorstenlemke

Re: ARCing

Post by thorstenlemke »

Dear Ken,please e-mail a short sample drawing.Normally you have to click the side which should be kept in the trim tools.Thorsten I have what might be thought of as a bloated rectangle, in other words each side is actually an arc, bulging outwards. So far, so good.But I then wanted the corners to form a curved intersection, so I selected the tool and the bottom 2 corners worked as expected, but the upper ones drew the joining arc outside the rectangle. So the 2 arcs that should have joined with a neat rounded off corner, in fact had a round lump on the wrong side of the intersection.My question is how does Cadintosh make the decision as to which side it draws the arc of any intersection between 2 lines, or arcs in this case? When creating a parallel line, you control the side by clicking on that side of the original line when selecting it. But that had no effect with the 4 corners of my bloated rectangle. The bottom ones were always correct, but the upper ones would never draw on the inside. In the end I had to mirror the bottom ones to the top.How are we supposed to control this?
Ken Gillett

Re: ARCing

Post by Ken Gillett »

Yes, but that only determines which part of the intersecting lines/arcs should be kept (and that works), but the arc that should join those 2 lines can be drawn on either of the 2 sides, which means a nice smooth intersection, or the lines end apart with a round lump on the wrong side.I’ve got past that now, but will try and re-create the problem and send it.What about automatic points showing the centre of an arc to e.g. use as the centre of another circle? > On 22 May 2016, at 11:32, Thorsten Lemke lemke@lemkesoft.de [cadintoshmac] <cadintoshmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:> > Dear Ken,> > > please e-mail a short sample drawing.> > Normally you have to click the side which should be kept in the trim tools.> > Thorsten>> >> >> I have what might be thought of as a bloated rectangle, in other words each side is actually an arc, bulging outwards. So far, so good.>> >> But I then wanted the corners to form a curved intersection, so I selected the tool and the bottom 2 corners worked as expected, but the upper ones drew the joining arc outside the rectangle. So the 2 arcs that should have joined with a neat rounded off corner, in fact had a round lump on the wrong side of the intersection.>> >> My question is how does Cadintosh make the decision as to which side it draws the arc of any intersection between 2 lines, or arcs in this case? When creating a parallel line, you control the side by clicking on that side of the original line when selecting it. But that had no effect with the 4 corners of my bloated rectangle. The bottom ones were always correct, but the upper ones would never draw on the inside. In the end I had to mirror the bottom ones to the top.>> >> How are we supposed to control this?>> > Ken G i l l e t t_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/