[Open] Manual picture sorting option in the browser with rename option

Want to submit a new feature, an enhancement ? Do it here !
cstern

[Open] Manual picture sorting option in the browser with rename option

Post by cstern »

Hi,

I don't know if this is the correct place on the forum (maybe there should be a feature request sub forum in each software forum?)

I frequently have to sort a large number of images and for that I use the band below the browser window to manually change the order, and then rename. This is fine when the number of images is limited to 10 or so, but when there are more it can get difficult to get the overview.

My suggestion (which I have tried to convince Thorsten to implement several times :D ) is that the main browser window should be able to do this. So the dropdown in the lower right of the browser window "sort..." should have an additional entry ("Manual"). When that is selected, the order should be determined by drag and drop, just like the sort window (sort band) which can be selected under the main browser window. Then, after sorting, it should be possible to rename all images in the selected order, also from the main browser window (again, exactly as it is possible from the sort band).

If others think this could be interesting perhaps it could be included in the to-do list (which I am sure is very long :) )

PS: the sort band should not be replaced as it is useful to sort and rename files in several folders at once, which would not be possible in the above suggested feature.

Thanks for (re)considering

Claus (faithful GC user)
macvf

Re: Feature request (image sorting)

Post by macvf »

Yes, I have sometimes also the need of sorting several pictures in a folder and if the drop band is quiet useful up to 10/15 pictures it becomes difficult to use when dealing with more than this number of pictures, as you don't have the necessary overview. The browser could be considered as big grid composed of tiles (photos) that the user could move/regorganized by clic and move to a new place. Once the the complete order is defined, a simple rename action could be applied to fixe the file name considering the current tiles (photos). In fact instead of selecting filename order, tag order and so one to have the corresponding display order, a "Manual sort order" would activate this function letting the user organize the picture order he wants, then apply a rename on the file using the various rename option already managed by GC. I suggest to open a poll to see how many people could be interested by such a function :).
Philippe

French GraphicConverter localizer since 1994
Mac V.F. manager
French GraphicConverter forum administrator
English GraphicConverter forum administrator
cstern

Re: [Open] Manual picture sorting option in the browser with rename option

Post by cstern »

I can see you opened a poll.

It can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=48