[Closed] Easy metadata searching/filtering

Want to submit a new feature, an enhancement ? Do it here !
designdog

[Closed] Easy metadata searching/filtering

Post by designdog »

With Adobe's new cloud strategy re Lightroom, I am looking for an alternative photo file manager for my Mac. One of the nice features in Lightroom and Bridge is the ability to easily search/filter files by date/camera brand and type/lens/aperture, etc. This gives the photographer a good idea as to how he is using his equipment. Of course this could also include a keyword search, etc.

For some reason all of the development activity in the photo area for Mac is in raw conversion, retouching, etc. In truth, there really has not been a dearth of apps for these tasks; what has always been needed is a first class single user DAM standalone, that plays well with the major image processors: Lightroom, Photoshop, DXO, CaptureOne, et al. I am not a programmer, but this seems like a much easier task than fooling around with color, tone, camera and lens settings for about a million combinations, etc. Yet no one seems to be up for it.

GraphicConvertor has a nice browser and one can finagle dual browser support with the Fast Preview option.It would seem fairly straightforward to build in an exif search ability and a more robust keyword facility. The Mac world needs something like this...
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: Easy metadata searching/filtering

Post by forum_adm »

Graphicconverter uses Spotlight for searching.
Just enter i.e. the keyword into the search field and GraphicConverter will display the files.
designdog

Post by designdog »

Yes, of course it does. However, when I type in, for example "Sigma 50mm" I get nothing. In Lightroom I get all the photos in the current catalog taken with the Sigma 50mm lens, as well as a count of those photos. same for aperture, or ISO, or camera model, or combinations of these and more. And I get them immediately.

I think there is a market for a single user standalone DAM for the Mac, but nobody seems interested...
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

Can I get a sample file for testing? Because Spotlight does not index all fields.